Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: which stock is better for a mosin

Member #
    Liked
    57 times

which stock is better for a mosin

Ok well I know most people will be like don't do it! lol

I don't know if I want to was thinking of selling my mosin but maybe I might customize it.

Basically I think it's freaking long! Would be nicer shorter.
    It's not a sniper version just a regular 91/30. Thinking 18" or 16".

So I saw this stock.
    Folding stock mosin
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/669035664

And the crps AR grip one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Q_NtXGo3QTc

I like the bullpup better because it looks cool.
    Wondering if anyone has either one.

Member #
    Liked
    21595 times
    Dude.

Leave the rifle alone, man. I fucked up an all matching 91/30 and regretted it ever since.. I don't even have the thing anymore. It is what it is and it's NOT a $100 rifle anymore.. not like that was ever an excuse but still.

If you must tinker, sell your unbastardized example, get a barreled receiver.... and THEN do weird things to it.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13711 times
    +1 Just leave it alone. Not terribly long ago, German 98Ks were $40 bucks apiece give or take, now look at the prices. I remember when 91/30s were still under $50 bucks, and ex-snipers were well under $100. Its one thing to customize or sporterize an example with a cracked stock or some other major defect, but ruining a perfectly good and collectable is just not a good idea IMHO.
    AK shooter likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    709 times
    i would have to say the same thing.
    m44s are even rarer than 91/30 and on off chance you might actually have m38 it's even rarer still.
    get a beater 91/30 rifle or barrel receiver and work on that. these still can be had for around $150-160 in classifieds.

i personally picked up one of those stripped mosin receivers from copes when they had them. i wanna do a carbine in 45-70 like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekTNJDHGB8
    well, maybe not exactly the same but you get the point.
    Last edited by dnepr0mike; 10-27-2017 at 06:38 AM.
    boatma1 and qbertquartz2 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1395 times
    I have a 91/30 that's non-matching that I've been messing with for years. I've done some very ugly things to the stock and cut the hood off the sight, so it's AK style. Some of the things I've done were just stupid and were from my younger gun days when I messed with stuff just to. The rifling is shit on mine and I've recrowned it, but I'm highly considering cutting it down as well. Just haven't done it yet. Personally, I don't like the after market stocks. I plan on retaining the original in some fashion if I do cut it down.

As much of a purist as I am, I just cannot make myself care about 91/30's. There were just so damned many of them, they shoot like shit, and mine is a piece, so that probably affects my judgement.
    boatma1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    709 times
    same here. while i appreciate the part the rifle had in History it's a gun that is hard to love. i have f of them including PU sniper and post-war m-44.
    m-44 is the one i will be keeping no matter what. it has beautiful finish throughout, bright shiny bore and shoots about 1.5 MOA with light bullet surplus. haven't tried commercial stuff but someday i will. if not for that folding bayo i bet it could do 1MOA with the right ammo and bullets. PU sniper shoots not well. all over the place with the light bullet surplus. two other ones are mid-war rough guns. One of them is on the way to be turned into heavy barreled gun with one of those UK-59 czech barrels. i re-profiled it a little so it doesn't weigh 30 pounds. some day i'll make a folding aluminum chassis for it and flute the heck out of that bull barrel - should make a nice paper hole punch for the range. Down the road, right after when finish all my AK builds, LOL.
    Visceral_Malice likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8106 times
    I suggest getting one that is already modified.

If someone else modified it my conscience is clear.

I think the worst bubba job I have seen is a "bring back" matching numbers Russian military Makarov - someone milled out the slide to install Trijicon night sights. Of all the pistols to modify...
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    There are so many bubbad mosins out there by people who thought the same way as you. Get one of those-for cheaper than one still in standard configuration!

ETA: here is a nice spanish civil war mosin ruined by bubba: ARMSLIST - For Sale: Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R

It has a nicer fit and finish than a standard refurb and you could probably get it for <150
    Last edited by Andyman; 10-27-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    MPiKM-72 and boatma1 like this.
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

Member #
    Liked
    630 times
    All I have to say is that underfolder thing looks like the most uncomfortable and unpleasant shooting experience imaginable.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9068 times
    I just can't get behind modifying a beautiful Russian piece of history.

Sell the 91/30 and buy a m44. The m44s with their 20 inch barrel are alot more useable. Here is a pic of a m44 against a 16 inch midlength AR. Length difference isn't that much more especally when you consider that the AR is a 16.5 barrel then ad another inch or so for the flashider.

MPiKM-72 and boatma1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    For what you'd spend on one of those custom stocks, you could buy a new, modern bolt action rifle that's far more accurate.
    10Gauge, MPiKM-72, boatma1 and 1 others like this.
    *** Just Your Average Jewish Redneck ***
    Participant in Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter, CMP w/M1 Garand, IDPA
    Part-Time Sales at Major Firearms Retailer ... pays for my addiction, maybe breaking even?

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    There are so many bubbad mosins out there by people who thought the same way as you. Get one of those-for cheaper than one still in standard configuration!

ETA: here is a nice spanish civil war mosin ruined by bubba: ARMSLIST - For Sale: Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R

It has a nicer fit and finish than a standard refurb and you could probably get it for <150
    That's a very good point. Forum has saved a mosin today.

Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    I just can't get behind modifying a beautiful Russian piece of history.

Sell the 91/30 and buy a m44. The m44s with their 20 inch barrel are alot more useable. Here is a pic of a m44 against a 16 inch midlength AR. Length difference isn't that much more especally when you consider that the AR is a 16.5 barrel then ad another inch or so for the flashider.

Nice! Good comparison.
    I'm kinda leaning towards selling most of my collection and picking up a snuffs mini garand maybe a socom 16 to because they're more politically correct. lol

I still like ARs because there are accurate and smooth but I've been looking at shorter 16" 556 and 18" 308 fluted barrels for my builds to shoot less but better.
    Andyman likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    m44s are even rarer than 91/30 and on off chance you might actually have m38 it's even rarer still.
    get a beater 91/30 rifle or barrel receiver and work on that. these still can be had for around $150-160 in classifieds.

i personally picked up one of those stripped mosin receivers from copes when they had them. i wanna do a carbine in 45-70 like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekTNJDHGB8
    well, maybe not exactly the same but you get the point.
    Saw these a while back. They look cool.
    Converting a Mosin Nagant to .45-70 - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    FWIW I have a number of deer and bigger game rifles made from old milsurps and love them. I did not do the original conversion myself because I don't believe in it, but I am happy to make a beautiful sporter from one already hacked up.
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, didn't realize how old it was until I posted.

I lucked out, found a really nice 44 and a decent 38 both for reasonable money. Also found a 1932 Tula Hex 91/30 for cheap. Bought some ammo and now just shooting them. Interesting that Timney makes a trigger for the Nagant that isn't overly expensive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors