'auto w/o a sear' question

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

'auto w/o a sear' question

To clear up/clarify a discussion I had with a fellow at a local gun show (*for informational purposes only*) what’s the probability that there would be an ‘out of chamber experience’ if a AK only had a full-auto disconnector and full-auto selector without the use of auto sear?

…or would it even fire at all?? Another side to the discussion was that the hammer would not have enough punch after riding the bolt carrier most of the way…??

I figured it’d be best to ask the experts rather than allow driving someone into some haphazard quasi-experiment to resolve the discussion.

Appreciate the comment/insight…..

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Most primers are very hard on the euro ammo (wolf/S&B)
    I know once I accidently left out the disconnector and I got 2 double taps and then a FTF.
    The round had a firing pin mark on the primer but didn't fire.
    I have read that if you file the firing pin to a point that if will go full auto without a disconnector. This is because the sharper point of the firing pin puts more pressure on a smaller area.

Basically instead of 1mm impact mark, you would have a 1/2 mm impact mark.
    Only God Helps those who can't help themselves

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You'll get the first shot off and the hammer will then follow the carrier as the disconnector is held back. You won't get the hammer to reset without taking your finger off the trigger and hand cycling. We have tested our SBR's with original FCG parts without any events.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the chances are slim it will fire out of chamber
    the rear bump on the carrier take care of that

as for fa fire without the sear

brass ammo with good primers is all you need
    DO THE VOICES IN MY HEAD BOTHER YOU

DONT POKE THE BEAR

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bad advice

The design modifications required to make a legal AK variant in the US render the entire system prone to out of battery discharges. By this I mean that the rotating bolt will not have gone completely into battery before the hammer may set off the primer as it would had the original safety sear arrangement been left intact. The effect of OBD is variable, but worse case scenario has a cartridge explosion and a burst of high pressure gas back into the receiver and potential SBI or death to the operator. A little better, the bolt is partially engaged by the lugs on the trunnion/receiver at the time the cartridge goes off, and the trunnion or bolt lugs get hammered by this event. Best is when all goes as it is supposed to do, the hammer is retained by the disconnector until the mechanism closes fully on a cartridge, and only then is the hammer dropped to set of the cartridge.

In order for the Kalashnikov design to be safe against these events the safety sear, or auto sear, really ought to be in place... but such an instance will render your rifle a machinegun according to the BATFE. To utilize these rifles without the safety sear increases the liklihood of OBD significantly.

To attempt to encourage slamfires by selecting primers which will not withstand the inertial impact of the firing pin upon closure of the bolt is to invite disaster. These are NOT 9mm subguns with the firing pin machined into the bolt face, and to encourage these sorts of discharges is to flirt with disaster. Unlike the subguns with the firing pin machined into the bolt face where the cartridge is fully supported by the chamber and the heavy mass of the bolt at the time of discharge, without bolt lockup on an AK, NOTHING AT ALL supports the case head against the 50,000 psi of pressure built up in nanoseconds by the explosion of the primer pellet. The bump fire is an example of potential disaster which I feel is dangerous to all nearby as well as to the operator.

Use proper components to assure greater safety in a system rendered less safe by legal requirements, and recognize that if the round goes off out of battery it is you who will feel the consequences of such an event. Use the semi auto trigger as it is intended. Even then, it is possible that the bolt may not completely lock up in one of these rifles due to vagaries in cartridge dimensions, magazine characteristics, and feed ramps or mainsprings, and the lack of a safety sear.

It is incumbent upon the user to understand the mechanism and its shortcomings in its present form. If possible, weld another 1/8" of material on the tail of the bolt carrier to help reduce the liklihood of OBD. But do understand that without the safety sear, a cartridge of just *slightly* too large a case head diameter may chamber *most of the way* but still be set off without total bolt lockup to the detriment of the shooter and any nearby.

FWIW.
    The greatest threat to continuation of mankind is the bicameral mind.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just thinking, would the use of a rate reducer slow the hammer down just long enough to keep it from riding the bolt home without using the sear??

Sponsors