Engraving SBR After Build
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bret

Thread: Engraving SBR After Build

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Engraving SBR After Build

So I had an AKS-74U kit, set up a NFA trust, received my form 1 and sent it to builder. Got the gun back and put it in the safe, I have another one that I shoot. Took it out recently to show someone and I noticed that the trust info was not engraved on the receiver! So now what? Can I just send it to anyone to engrave?

Member #
    Liked
    3602 times
    Yes, or just do it yourself

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    Yes, or just do it yourself
    That's the answer I was looking for, Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    I did mine myself quick and dirty. Chicken scratch with an engraver. Not too concerned about what it looks like since im the only gun enthusiast in my family so all my class 3 weapons will be chopped when im gone.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-Engr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Member #
    Liked
    926 times
    If you're sending it to someone, don't they have to be an FFL since it's leaving your possession?

Member #
    Liked
    525 times
    Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    If you're sending it to someone, don't they have to be an FFL since it's leaving your possession?
    yes and no. A regular ffl/ gunsmith you have to be physically present with the firearm or item. Can’t leave it with them. I think it has to be a ffl/ gunsmith that has the proper licensing for class 3 items that you can leave it with. I cut out the hassle of all that stuff and used a stamp set and engraving tool on my last two.

Member #
    Liked
    1185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NXCHESTER View Post
    im the only gun enthusiast in my family so all my class 3 weapons will be chopped when im gone.
    I'm not 100% sure things will turn out that way. A law preventing kit builds or making of SBR's would make your firearms worth more than the sum of the parts.
    Andyman likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I'm not 100% sure things will turn out that way. A law preventing kit builds or making of SBR's would make your firearms worth more than the sum of the parts.
    Indeed. At the very least try to convince people of the value of the guns so they at least sell them to someone who wants them. Or will them to someone more deserving of them even if its outside the family.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    Indeed. At the very least try to convince people of the value of the guns so they at least sell them to someone who wants them. Or will them to someone more deserving of them even if its outside the family.
    Totally agree. Think if people had the same attitude towards FA before 1986? :O
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

Member #
    Liked
    1153 times
    Off topic a little, but what is the preferred way to blacken the engraving...just use black paint or aluminum black? When I use the aluminum black, it blends the engraving in where you can't read it unless you turn it sideways under the light.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Off topic a little, but what is the preferred way to blacken the engraving...just use black paint or aluminum black? When I use the aluminum black, it blends the engraving in where you can't read it unless you turn it sideways under the light.
    You could try some cold blue if you are talking something non-aluminum (like an AR receiver).
    "All we know about the new economic world tells us that nations which train engineers will prevail over those which train lawyers. No nation has ever sued its way to greatness.

Member #
    Liked
    1185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    You could try some cold blue if you are talking something non-aluminum (like an AR receiver).
    An AR receiver is aluminum.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    An AR receiver is aluminum.
    Yeah I worded that weirdly. I meant an AR receiver is an example of something that would not work.

Sponsors