Questions on having a Ckass 3 built
    Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    519 times

Questions on having a Ckass 3 built

I have a PPSh kit I'd like to have built as an SBR. The bolt mods, denial work on preventing full auto parts have been done. All that remains is rewarding the shroud, the receiver on this rifle, and assembling.

A builder, Class 3 dude, is saying I can have all the data engraved the appropriate spot and this all sent to him to do the welding. My other SBR the builder did this himself once the stamp was in my hands, not a minute before.

How should this happen?
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Form 1 info is standard so if you are certain of the details you can do it before your stamp arrives.

Your old builder was probably just being safe so he could copy exactly what was on the form 1.

Both ways are acceptable. However, your builder who wanted to see the form 1 first was protecting himself from making a mistake. And it was proof he could then transfer the completed weapon back to you. If you have the engraving done before hand the complete weapon cannot be transferred back to you. It could be in pieces but that opens another can of worms with the BATF.

in summary:

If it was a kit to begin with and was not a title 1 weapon you would want to wait until form 1 was in hand. If it was title 1 (completed firearm) before you sent it off and the barrel is NOT populated you could do it before.
    Last edited by Mitchell; 05-17-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Makes sense.

I had a working knowledge of this all last time but so much has changed. Trying to decide on if I should go the individual or trust route.
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    The ATF has recently told some Builder’s that they can’t assemble NFA items based on a customer’s Form 1. They’re saying the builder has to put their information on the item and then submit the appropriate documentation to the ATF. It would then have to be transferred to the customer.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    Do the e-file! You’ll probably have your approval back before the project is finished. My e-file form 1 took 28 days.

Member #
    Liked
    3579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The ATF has recently told some Builder’s that they can’t assemble NFA items based on a customer’s Form 1. They’re saying the builder has to put their information on the item and then submit the appropriate documentation to the ATF. It would then have to be transferred to the customer.
    Yeah, Ive seen the letter somewhere on Reddit, and I think it came up in the Two Rivers section at some point. I believe there are a couple of work arounds like having your gunsmith build you a 'pistol', all the engraving etc then you can just put your stock on it once you regain possession.

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Who do you have that will put it together?
    Mine is already registered, has semi mods done, just needs the putting together part.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"

NRA - Life Member
    VFW - Life Member
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut308 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Yeah, Ive seen the letter somewhere on Reddit, and I think it came up in the Two Rivers section at some point. I believe there are a couple of work arounds like having your gunsmith build you a 'pistol', all the engraving etc then you can just put your stock on it once you regain possession.
    So you are saying I get the tax stamp rolling on my end, builder builds what I give him into a pistol, no stock, then ships to me? Or a local Class III dealer? Then, with stamp in hand I add the stock?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1080 times
    If you can't 100% build it yourself you're better off getting the gun built by a dealer and registered by them. Resell on an SBR from a maker like 2 rivers or the like is always going to be higher than a personally build gun. If it's not a manufacturer built SBR 9 times out of 10 when they get sold off they're either cut into a parts kit or they're pinned, folding stocks are welded closed, etc and the gun is removed from the registry. At that point you're rebuilding it on a new receiver, or scrubbing the receiver of the old information (which is illegal and if you get caught you'll go to jail) to replace it with your info and going through the whole form1 again on your side.

You're kind of stuck since you've already paid the stamp. Hit up someone like 2 rivers and see what your options are, the guys there are good people, they'll do what they can to work with you and keep themselves and you out of hot water.
    Some of you are too young to remember this but back in my day we had so much toilet paper that we threw it into the trees of our enemies.

WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    Interesting, I’ve never received such a letter. This is all dependent on the work provided. If the only thing being done is the engraving it falls under a very different set of rules... If the individual files a form 1 and obviously builds his rifle AFTER the form 1 is approved that individual can send the the weapon out for engraving. No problem there at all.

If the individual buys a parts kit and sends the kit out for engraving there is no problem with that. It isn’t even considered a firearm so there’s no problem with engraving a hunk of metal.

However, the engraver SOT holder SHOULD NOT be the “builder”of the final firearm. That would make the SOT the actual manufacturer and they would be required to file a form 2. When filing a form 1 it is specifically stating that an individual is the manufacturer and thus that individual should be the one manufacturing the firearm.

As mentioned before the best bet is to have a title 1 firearm built then form 1 it. Or, a slightly more convoluted way, is once you get your form 1 tack weld the receiver in place. Congratulations, you have just manufactured an NFA firearm as per your form 1. Then send out for REFINISHING not finishing. Both are legal in the eyes of BATF but make sure your tack welds hold and it is a complete functioning receiver (hard to mess up a PPSh). Otherwise it would be deemed as fraudulent.

Sponsors