Poor finish on SilencerCo cans made during their Summer Promo?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Gman
  • 2 Post By ptrthgr8
  • 1 Post By Gman
  • 1 Post By Thrasher
  • 1 Post By ptrthgr8
  • 1 Post By Bret
  • 1 Post By TJCtalon
  • 1 Post By ptrthgr8

Thread: Poor finish on SilencerCo cans made during their Summer Promo?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Poor finish on SilencerCo cans made during their Summer Promo?

For those who've received SilencerCo suppressors as part of their Summer Promotion last year, has anyone noticed sub-par finish? Stamp came in and I was able to bring my Chimera home yesterday. This Chimera is one of the purchased suppressors (rather than the freebie) and one SilencerCo had to make in a hurry as all of their in-stock cans quickly sold out. Purchased in early June 2018, S/N assigned in mid-July and paperwork started, and was disposed to my LGS in late August, 2018. So, it took them ~6 weeks to manufacture it, along with the massive amount of the other purchased cans).

When I took it out of the box and gave it a good once over, I immediately noticed what appears to be box wear - the only section that shows wear is the section that was sitting on the foam inside the box. Almost like the finish wasn't completely cured before they stuffed it in the box and sent it to my local dealer. Pictures show the details.

Anyone else run into this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1054 times
    I would be a little ticked off myself, but once you fire it a few times, it’s likely going to fade the finish anyway.
    ptrthgr8 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I would be a little ticked off myself, but once you fire it a few times, itís likely going to fade the finish anyway.
    Yeah, that's entirely true. It does appear to be nothing more than cosmetic, but waiting 3 weeks shy of a year to get your expensive new toy, only to find out the manufacturer screwed up the finish is definitely lame. But as long as this is the only corner they cut during the manufacturing process, I can probably get over it.

Thrasher and Gman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1054 times
    I hear you. I’ve been waiting a month and a half shy of a year for my Sandman-S, hope to see it soon.
    ptrthgr8 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2243 times
    If it were mine, I'd contact silencerco and ask if header paint voids their warranty.
    If not, I'd spray it. The look of that thing would drive me nuts.
    ptrthgr8 likes this.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    If it were mine, I'd contact silencerco and ask if header paint voids their warranty.
    If not, I'd spray it. The look of that thing would drive me nuts.
    I might just ask them if they'll pay for my LGS to Ceracote the thing. Would take less time, I'm sure, and I've had them do several other projects for me, so I know it would turn out fine.

Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    906 times
    I’d send that crap back just based on the principle of the matter. They should be able to do a prompt refinish. Thanks for the warning.
    ptrthgr8 likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Got the suppressor sent back and, as promised, the turn-around time was less than a week. (I actually got it back on Day 8, but I don't blame SilencerCo for the weekend.) The new finish looks good, perhaps even a shade or two darker than it was, and it looks like I'd expect a brand-new SilencerCo Chimera 300 to look. (See pic.)

So, in the end, I'm happy since I now have a Chimera 300 that meets expectations. SilencerCo was woefully unprepared for the wild success of that 2018 Summer Promotion. And I can forgive them for that because, well, that's how you learn. And it *was* a great deal, despite all of the delays with shipping the purchased suppressor and even longer delays with shipping all of those free cans. But it's the post-purchase "support" that still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I think it's inexcusable that multiple emails and phone messages to their customer service and warranty departments (probably the same group of people) go without any response over the course of two weeks. The only way I got any traction on this issue at all was by complaining about it *again* on one of SilencerCo's social media posts. (Seems the Instagram admin is more responsive than their Facebook admin.) I think SilencerCo needs to do a better job of demonstrating that they actually care about their customers. But that's just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Chimera I got for the promo was the silver/unfinished color. Ive got her pretty hot and it has started to discolor a little, but it looked nothing like yours.

I would have got black, but only silver was instock when I ordered.

Cant wait for my octane, I shoot a lot of 9mm carbines and wanted a 9mm can to begin with but this promo was too good to pass up. I did swap to the yankee hill adapter over the factory silencerco
    ptrthgr8 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCtalon View Post
    I did swap to the yankee hill adapter over the factory silencerco
    I actually prefer the ASR type device that came with the Chimera over the YHM devices. I've had 3 or 4 YHM QD muzzle devices for my 7.62 Phantom titanium, but always felt they were too heavy. The ASR type muzzle devices are sleeker and less clunky, IMO.

That said, I've recently moved to the Q Cherry Bomb muzzle devices on three of my .30 cal weapons, along with Q's Plan B adapter for the Chimera. The Cherry Bomb is wicked light, makes everything more compact, and just looks cool AF. The Cherry Bomb makes everything louder and more fire-bally when shooting un-suppressed. That's either a pro or a con, depending upon who you ask.

Photos attached show Q Cherry Bombs installed on my PWS MK116 Mod2 and my IWI Galil ACE pistol, both in 7.62x39.

Cheers!

TJCtalon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I went yankee hill, because I have a 300 blackout upper, that has the barrel inside the hand guard. I wanted the suppressor to just stick out a few inches.

With the ASR you have to flip that switch, so you cant simply thread/unthread.

I do wish the yankee hill comps/flash hiders didnt look so shitty. I prefer the style and look of the ASR's for sure. Not sure how I feel about about that Q. Not exactly my style.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors