• 1 Post By Bret
  • 1 Post By AK_Fanatic_N_AZ
  • 2 Post By Bret

Thread: Can somebody else manufacture my SBR

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times

Can somebody else manufacture my SBR

Can I send my rifle to a qualified manufacturer and have them SBR it. I don't want to be the manufacturer and have to engrave my name on it. I want somebody else to do it and have their company name on it. Then have it transfered back to me.

There is a guy locally that is a class 3 dealer and a manufacturer, but he said he wouldn't do it. He wouldn't say why. He makes SBRs and sells them though.

Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Form 4 IIRC.
    America; We'll cross a frozen river on Christmas to kill you in your sleep. Not kidding, we've done it before.

WTB: Type C "lazy" AK-74 top cover

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    Yes, I want to form 4 it. I want to know if people transfer them to another manufacturer so I don't have to form 1 it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    Absolutely, but you have to find someone willing to do it. If you do a Form 1, you are the "maker", but you can still have a gunsmith build it for you. This is an easier proposition for them as they don't have to bother with the paperwork. If a company is building 10, 20 or 100 or something, then the economies of scale make dealing with the paperwork and transfers more worth it. They may not view it as worth it on a one shot deal.

The guy who built my Micro Galil filed the paperwork and it ended up transferring to me on a Form 4. I wanted to do it that way because the Micro Galil was an expensive proposition and he is the man with the reputation when it comes to building them. The rifle is simply worth more with his name on it than mine. Honestly, I was surprised that he'd go through the additional hassle for me.

What are you looking to build?
    montanaAK likes this.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    I've got 2 krinks and a mp5. After talking to a few people it looks like I'm going to form 1 them. Thanks for your input

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    Krink kits or already built rifles with long barrels.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    Long barrel 762 and 545

Member #
    Liked
    166 times
    I have a reputable vendor on this forum currently doing the conversion work on my Draco even though the approved Form 4 lists the original intended gunsmith that was supposed to do the work and transferred the weapon to me on the Form 4. The receiver is engraved with the original smith's name and required info, but asshattery ultimately led to him not doing the rear trunnion conversion. As others have posted it is ultimately up to another smith as to whether or not they want to touch it, but it is not illegal as long as the paperwork is in order and in compliance with the originally listed specs on the approved form. The lesson for me is never to use a 'fly by night' smith to try to save money when I should have gone to a reputable builder in the first place to do the conversion.
    montanaAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    891 times
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaAK View Post
    Long barrel 762 and 545
    I have, or shall I say had, both. I cut both down myself. The 104UR conversion was pretty easy. All I had to do was cut the barrel and crown it. The 104UR runs 100% after doing this, even without a booster. The 107UR conversion was more difficult because the FS/GB has to be removed and either drilled out to allow more gas or a plug has to be removed from it. Then you have to cut/crown the barrel and reinstall the FS/GB. My 107UR conversion also runs 100% without a booster. I don't know how well you do working on firearms, but I'd say that the 104UR conversion is pretty easy to do yourself. The 107UR is more difficult, but you might want to consider doing it yourself.

All that said, I don't think there would really be any advantage to you if you ended up with them on Form 4's instead of Form 1's. Factory SBR's are kind of cool, and in theory more valuable, because they only have the factory markings. You'd end up with non-factory markings on your 104UR and 107UR either way you go, so I don't think getting them on a Form 4 would really do anything for you. The conversions are not really difficult for a competent AK gunsmith, so I don't see having the name and location of the gunsmith as really helping the future value. If you had a kit built by an AK gunsmith with a great well recognized reputation that might be different, but that certainly doesn't apply here. The "factory" SBR's that Arsenal sells for about $900 more than the extended barrel versions are not even close to worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. I highly doubt you'd get the difference back if you ever went to sell an Arsenal factory SBR. Both of my real factory SBR's (RRA 9mm AR15 SBR & Sig 556 SBR) cost just a bit more than the non-SBR versions of the same rifles.

AK_Fanatic_N_AZ and montanaAK like this.

Sponsors