• 1 Post By GTPI
  • 1 Post By AKBLUE
  • 1 Post By Gman

Thread: Mock Up - Russian RPK Clone Abomination Nearly Complete

Member #
    Liked
    223 times

Mock Up - Russian RPK Clone Abomination Nearly Complete

I am about to embark on one of the most low-down and ghastly roads one can walk down - the cloning of a rifle. The Romanian RPK kit I bought from AoA a while back will soon be transformed into a FAKE Russian one.

The kit I got was a 1966 model with the bipod that doesn't adjust. I wanted one of this vintage because I am pretty sure there isn't much difference between these and the ones that the USSR produced. I specifically asked Andrew for the oldest one he had and that's what I got. The kit came head spaced to a new Green Mountain RPK barrel. All the numbers were matching save for the recoil rod assembly. The UHG was broken into 3 separate pieces and crumbling to dust, but the kit included a refurbished spare UHG, as well. The gas tube was a little beat up too, so when I got a NOS set of Russian laminate furniture off Gunbroker that included a gas tube I decided to just replace the old one entirely. The laminate pistol grip was purchased separately from the other wood furniture, but luckily the shellac finish matches up with the other wood perfectly. The grip is pretty wide - much wider than a standard AKM Bakelite grip and slightly larger than the Polish Bakelite and Chinese wood examples I also own. The seller said it was for a Type 3 but I don't think he had any way of knowing that, really. I also got a 922(r) muzzle nut from CNC Warrior.

The receiver is a Childers. Arrived in like 2 weeks from the time I ordered it. I got it serial number matched to the rest of the parts and didn't get any front or rear trunnion holes drilled. I'm waiting on the proper late 60's/early 70's Molot selector markings etching kit to arrive in the mail from Weaponmark.

xlYteRS.jpg

lwq9X7Z.jpg

I don't know if the Romanians were off fighting in some war I'm not aware of, or if they just trained their troops super hard, but the kit was almost devoid of any finish at all, but it was also free from any dents or other major issues. I want to make this thing look like it just rolled out of the Molot Plant so I began my quest for numerous additional parts.

"Complete minus barrel and receiver" is a pretty misleading statement when you really think about it.

I got a set of rivets from AK Builder, a TAPCO G2 trigger from a local gun store, and a complete set of new K-VAR replacement springs at another local gun store. The trigger parts are for our benevolent 922(r) masters, and I figured since the kit looked so old and used that replacing the springs might be a good idea. I haven't decided whether or not to use the K-VAR axis pin retaining spring, or the retaining plate I got from Red Star Arms.

RMWAQDv.jpg

Another spring that was pretty worn out was the rear sight leaf spring. It kinda flopped around easily. I ordered a NOS replacement spring from Numrich gun parts corp. The listing said it was East German. I of course then felt compelled to purchase a new adjustable rear sight leaf, as well. I found this one for sale at Atlantic Firearms. I'm pretty sure that it isn't a correct rear sight leaf for a 7.62 RPK. I believe it goes on a 5.45 RPK-74. Whatever the case may be, the numbers are painted "competition orange" and look totally bad ass, so it's going on the rifle.

uZwzQv8.jpg

That pretty much covers the gun, but you gotta have "accessories", as well - like this picture of the sling I am using I attached to this post and now cannot remove for some reason.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 07-21-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    I bought an original Russian cleaning kit for the stock from the gentleman at AK Stuff. I also bought an OD Green Russian sling from him. I can't tell if the date on it is '69 or '89. It has that weird green paint the Russians used on grenades on the metal parts of the sling. The leather keeper and RPK sling shoulder pad came off a newer manufacture sling I bought a Russian Surplus dot net. I married the two slings and made this one:

rpk05.jpg

rpk06.jpg

rpk07.jpg
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 07-21-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: attaching pictures is screwing up once more

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    I needed some mags and field gear to go with it, too.

I got 5X 40 round mags. 2 are Molot that have been "scrubbed" with no star/shield logo, just numbers. The other 3 are steel. 1 is definitely Molot, the other 2 I assume are Bulgarian. They have a bunch of Cyrillic markings but no other distinguishing marks. The 4-cell 40 round mag pouch is Romanian, but I will probably replace it with a Russian one if I can find one that isn't stupid expensive.

I also bought a 75 round Romanian drum magazine and pouch from Atlantic Firearms. Again, I will probably replace the drum pouch with a Russian one eventually.

The belt I got at Soviet Army Stuff and the bayonet and scabbard came from RGuns.

rpk08.jpg

rpk09.jpg

rpk11.jpg

rpk10.jpg

I am going to etch the markings when the stencil kit gets here, then send everything off to Two Rivers. Need to have them scrub the trunnion and add the Molot logo, year, and serial #, complete the build, then parkerize and paint over it with some Techno Russian Paint I am preparing to order.

I will update again if and when this project is completed. It's never gonna be a Russian but I'm gonna try to make it look as close as possible with this abomination of fakery.
    Last edited by russian_bot_5791; 07-21-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    scottyb, GTPI, 43m1garand and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4942 times
    Nice, look forward to seeing it completed.
    russian_bot_5791 and GTPI like this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Seems like you've got a plan, good luck. Keep us updated!
    russian_bot_5791 likes this.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3288 times
    Scrubbing tbe trunnion and other serialized parts and then having them engraved in the Russian format would be the biggest single cloning step.

Matching the Childers receiver patina to the rest of the kit if you are going with the well used look.

Adding furniture, sling and sight ladder is pretty straight forward.

Have fun with it.

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Nice kit and acquired accessories. Love to see the finished product.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors