Were Romanian RPKs just like the Russian's in the early years?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Were Romanian RPKs just like the Russian's in the early years?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Were Romanian RPKs just like the Russian's in the early years?

I have a '64 dated Romanian kit and I'm wondering how close it is the Russian ones. I have an '83 kit as well and the biggest difference is in the bipod at first glance. I don't have a Russian one to compare either of the two against. I got these to come up with as close to a Russian RPK as possible since I've never been able to find a Russian kit yet.

Thanks!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3033 times
    Yes, other than few quality differences, they are pretty dang close. A real early Romanian RPK looks pretty much just like a real early Russian RPK, ribbed top cover and all. Just needs a deep black paint job and a nice set of Russian orange shellac furniture on it, and then you'd have to check the markings to tell for sure. Just make sure it has the non-adjustable bipod.
    scottyb likes this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The '83 dated one certainly has the wrong bipod but I would need to look further to see if there are other differences. One thing I noticed with the '64 dated kit is the front of the bipod mount has somewhat of a triangle shape to the opening as you look at it from the front. A spare Russian bipod I have (probably from a later time period but not RPK-74) is round if I remember correctly. I know, a picture would be helpful, I will try to get to that this weekend.

I have the furniture and receivers for the builds but I'm missing an authentic rear sight leaf and a correct scope mount if I choose to put one on them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    I have a chopped Romy RPK here from 1974. What year were they first produced in romania? I will see about snapping some pics for you guys if i run across another.
    Currently looking for an East German AK Armorers kit.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3033 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    What year were they first produced in Romania?
    I've seen kits dated from the mid-late 60's. These are officially designated as the Md. 64, so 1964 would have to be the first year.
    otus likes this.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Gotcha Tantal appreciate the word. I will keep on the lookout.
    Currently looking for an East German AK Armorers kit.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Here's a picture of my 1964 dated barrel front end on the right, notice the round hole in the bipod's mount where the cleaning rod would go through that's about 1/2" round. The non-mounted bipod on the left is a newer Russian one, I had bought it with the idea I was going to build this Romanian kit up as a Russian clone. The same place on this newer bipod is somewhat triangular in shape.
    However, if this Romanian is the same as the early Russian ones then I'm better off staying with it anyway. This is the main question I have regarding what to do with this idea. So, is it the same as the early Russian ones?

The second picture is the sight that's on this kit, it looks RPD to me so that's why I need to find a correct one. Any ideas on this search?

Rom-Rus-Bipods.jpgRPD-sight.jpg
    otus likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3033 times
    Yes, that's the earliest production version. Back in those days, Romania didnt deviate from the standard Soviet patterns. In fact, I'd be surprised if those parts were not Soviet made imports.
    otus likes this.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    i have a '66 romanian RPK kit incomming with a non ribbed dust cover.....is that correct? or should i be on the look out for a ribbed one?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    My '64 kit has a ribbed cover and its all matching. I don't know for sure but they probably coincided with the AKM patterns.

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RussCollector View Post
    My '64 kit has a ribbed cover and its all matching. I don't know for sure but they probably coincided with the AKM patterns.
    thanks for the response...my trunnion does not match the rest of the kit but other parts including the dust cover are matching......i might have to shoot Tantal a PM and see what he says

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3033 times
    Hi, guys! Romanian RPK's were issued with ribbed covers for the majority of production, but in later years they went to using smooth covers. For instance, all the 1960's and 1970's Romy RPK's I've seen have had ribbed covers, while the early-mid 80's and up rifles came with Soviet style smooth covers and stayed that way until domestic military production was shuttered in the early 1990's, in favor of the new 5,45mm's.

It's interesting to note that the new RPK-74's used ribbed covers from the beginning. I suppose it was just easier to use one type of cover, so once that batch of smooth covers was exhausted on the 7,62's, they apparently tried to make things uniform again during what was more or less quite a bit of economic and political turmoil for them during that time frame. BTW, if anyone here has any info (or a kit) that suggests a different timeline, please post up some images.

Anyway, if your parts do not match your trunnion, it's a guess exactly when the rest of the parts could have been made, due to the cover I'd say not close to 1966. Sometimes you can track down what group of years the cover was made in by the batch code of the serial number. I say "group" because the Romanians often used the same batch code across more than one year. Post up some images if you get time.

Cool topic!
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Tantal, thanks for the response! I always appreciate when you share your wealth of knowledge....anyways...the first post here shows my kit:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/46-...parts-kit.html

it is a romanian kit but when i made the topic i was thinking bulgarian for whatever reason....dust cover definitely doesnt appear to be ribbed....kit should arrive tomorrow so i can post any desired pictures

Tantal....please let me know what you think about the kit....trunnion doesnt match the rest of the kit which could be the reason for the smooth dust cover....just my thoughts

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    ZOMBIE THREAD

Does anyone know what year the Soviets switched from ribbed to smooth dust covers on the RPK? Just saw in another thread a really nice 1966 Russian RPK and it had a smooth top cover with numbers that matched the trunnion, so I guess they were doing it in '66?
    otus likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2022 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    ZOMBIE THREAD

Does anyone know what year the Soviets switched from ribbed to smooth dust covers on the RPK? Just saw in another thread a really nice 1966 Russian RPK and it had a smooth top cover with numbers that matched the trunnion, so I guess they were doing it in '66?
    1963 was a transition year. Basically 1963 onward, they more or less looked the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors