Need help getting my 20" 7.62x54R Vepr running
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need help getting my 20" 7.62x54R Vepr running

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times

Need help getting my 20" 7.62x54R Vepr running

I have a 20" Vepr in 7.62x54R that I purchased several years ago. I never shot it until yesterday. I put 80rds of LVE 148gr FMJ through it. I have one factory 5rd magazine that came with it and two SGM Tactical 10rd magazines. The first thing that I figured out is that while the SGM Tactical magazines will hold 10rds, the first cartridge won't feed. So, I had to load them down to 9rds in order to get them to run. Using both the factory and SGM magazines I was able to get through some mags with no issues, but I experienced some problems with both. There were double feeds and failures to eject. I did notice that the 7.62x54R Vepr is not ejecting the spent cases in to orbit like most AK's. Surprisingly, most spent cases go about 12" to the same spot. However, some are barely getting out of the rifle. I noticed several spinning like a top next to the rifle after I shot the cartridge. BTW, this rifle kicks like a mule. I expected it to kick like my 308Win Vepr, but the recoil is significantly heavier. I know the most obvious suggestion will be to ditch the SGM Tactical magazines, but I'm having failures to feed and failures to eject with the factory magazine. Therefore, there's more to it than that. Any tips on getting this rifle running are appreciated.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    679 times
    1. try different ammo. surplus light ball, commercial wolf, bear, PPU and S&B. try diferent bullet weights. low to heavy range.
    2. stick to just one mag for not to introduce additional mag related issues. let's say use factory for now while you do some ammo testing. or better yet hand-feed until you find ammo that cycles well and ejects at least 2-3 feet.

once you find ammo that your rifle likes you can proceed with figuring out other issues. chances are with stout enough ammo one or two problems might go away on their own.

also it would not hurt to strip gun appart and inspect every single component in and out for undue wear. you never know when something might have been put together not in a good way.
    scottyb and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    1. try different ammo. surplus light ball, commercial wolf, bear, PPU and S&B. try diferent bullet weights. low to heavy range.
    I think that I remember reading that you're only supposed to use light bullets (150 grains or so) in the 7.62x54R semiautos. I do have some brass cased ammo that I can try.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5978 times
    The SGM mags need to wear in. As fas as taming the functionality and recoil one of those adjustable gas pistons should help a lot.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times
    The spent cases are only going 12' at the most which is great for an AK. Installing an adjustable gas piston could only decrease the amount of gas cycling through the system which could cause short cycling.

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I think that I remember reading that you're only supposed to use light bullets (150 grains or so) in the 7.62x54R semiautos. I do have some brass cased ammo that I can try.
    I don't know if that relates to Vepr. It's was a PSL thing but Vepr has a thicker RPK receiver.

Member #
    Liked
    7424 times
    I've always thought highly of the LVE ammo, but can't help but wonder how well it would do with Soviet surplus light ball.

It almost seems like the gas port is restricted or too small based on the weak ejection and heavy recoil. Perhaps see if a pipe cleaner will go through the gas block into the bore.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times
    That's a good thought. I'll give it a try. I do have surplus light ball. I just don't want to use it in a semiauto.

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    Why??????

Member #
    Liked
    54457 times
    My 20" runs fine without issues using surplus light ball, same with the 16" rifle.
    Might give that a try.

Recoil?...I run the Russian 3 port brakes that were available at one time.
    You will notice significant reduction.

U.S.A. copies:
    https://www.circle10ak.com/product/c...le-brake-14mm/

https://www.circle10ak.com/product-c...uzzle-devices/
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Why??????
    I know you know the answer, but I'll say it anyway for the benefit of others who may not know. I don't shoot corrosive ammo in my semiautos because, well, it's corrosive. I realize that I could clean it and not have any bad side effects. However, I generally don't clean my guns promptly. I like to shoot a gun several weekends in a row. For most that just means that I have to lube them up prior to shooting again. When I'm done shooting a gun for a while, I'll clean it. I can't do all this with corrosive ammo and avoid ill effects. Now if this was a bolt action rifle, then only having to clean the bore each time would be no big deal. A proper cleaning of a semiauto that's had corrosive ammo shot through it takes time and I'd rather spend most of that time shooting other guns.
    AZG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    I know you know the answer, but I'll say it anyway for the benefit of others who may not know. I don't shoot corrosive ammo in my semiautos because, well, it's corrosive. I realize that I could clean it and not have any bad side effects. However, I generally don't clean my guns promptly. I like to shoot a gun several weekends in a row. For most that just means that I have to lube them up prior to shooting again. When I'm done shooting a gun for a while, I'll clean it. I can't do all this with corrosive ammo and avoid ill effects. Now if this was a bolt action rifle, then only having to clean the bore each time would be no big deal. A proper cleaning of a semiauto that's had corrosive ammo shot through it takes time and I'd rather spend most of that time shooting other guns.
    Ah! I thought there was more to it

Member #
    Liked
    1011 times
    I guess that I could have just said that I'm lazy.

Member #
    Liked
    8741 times
    I guess that I could have just said that I'm lazy.
    All good. I know that feeling

ems

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't know if that relates to Vepr. It's was a PSL thing but Vepr has a thicker RPK receiver.
    PSL has the same RPK type receiver, it's just a little longer at the rear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors