VEPR IV 223 RPK Range Report of Weapon and Magazines
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: VEPR IV 223 RPK Range Report of Weapon and Magazines

Member #
    Liked
    333 times

VEPR IV 223 RPK Range Report of Weapon and Magazines

Got a chance to zero, and engage man sized targets out to 300 meters with my VEPR IV 223 RPK last week.

When I first picked up the weapon over a month ago, I tested fired it for function with about 90 rounds of brass cased 62 grain 5.56. The weapon functioned flawlessly with the included 223 Promag, a Beryl translucent green mag, and a transparent Circle 10 mag.

This time I had the opportunity to zero the weapon. I used some AR15 targets at 25 meters. Yes, I'm a 25/300 meter zero guy for 5.56 – deal with it. I used the excellent Magna-Matic Defense AK zeroing tool. It's not cheap, but worth every penny for moving stubborn front sights. I made all adjustments on the front sight and left the RPK rear sight centered for later on the fly windage adjustments. Zeroing was done in the prone with the bipod deployed.

Weapon is accurate – groups were at least equal to what I can do with a Colt M-4. Ammunition used was brass cased 62 grain 5.56.

Targets posted at 25 meters.

7 Round Shot Group:

10 Round Shot Group:

20 Round Shot Group (why not):

I then engaged a number of man sized torso targets from 50 meters to 300 meters. Firing position was prone with the bipod deployed. I hate leaf/notch sites but was still able to get hits consistently out to 250 meters. I could only hit the 300 meter inconsistently. Despite the longer barrel, the front sight post is still very large. I may also need to tweak my zero to compensate for having done it at the 25 meter line. Next time I'll have an observer with spotting scope and we will see if I can refine it to get consistent 300 meter hits.

I would also like very much to see what this thing could do with a magnified optic.

Filled both of my new VEPR 223 magazines with 45 rounds apiece. Both of them feed flawlessly.
    (Note – Magazines come with a round limiter in them – removed easily enough.)

Total number of rounds fired out of the VEPR that day was about 170. Zero malfunctions of any kind.

Weapon runs smooth and is fun to shoot. The trigger is short and light (on the edge of too light.) Ejection is EXTREMELY positive with dinged brass landing up to 20 feet away between the 2 and 4 O'Clock position. The bipod works well and due to it's ability to “yaw” works even on uneven ground. In conclusion – Is Nice.

Note: Buddies SCAR, not mine.
    Last edited by Ol'Sarge2K; 03-06-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    otus, TRAAK's and doodi1 like this.
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    Were you shooting paper or steel at the longer distances? If paper how much did the groups grow?

Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Thank you for the review.
    I am picking one of these up soon, and this makes me have more confidence in the rifle.
    Fiorentino likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I want to get mine out next time I shoot. I'm going to zero my po3.5x21 on it gonna weigh a ton
    "Oath" keeper Krinkov shirts and "I Built This" Type III AK shirts
    Check my WTS ad!

Member #
    Liked
    52855 times
    Very nice review..thank you.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot308 View Post
    Were you shooting paper or steel at the longer distances? If paper how much did the groups grow?
    Steel.

Group sizes at longer ranges? Guess that's an experiment for another day.

Anybody know the twist on these? Seemed to handle 62 grain just fine.
    Last edited by Ol'Sarge2K; 05-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KSlay1988 View Post
    Thank you for the review.
    I am picking one of these up soon, and this makes me have more confidence in the rifle.
    I think you'll be pleased. I have zero buyers remorse with mine.
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Thank You TRAAK'S.

Looking forward to a range report Irierider. I'm kinda leaning towards a Kashtan for mine. But the weapons surprisingly light and handy right now.... not sure I want to work towards the "crew served effect" - LOL.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3638 times
    Awesome review/pictures, thanks. I've gotten to handle one but not shoot one yet so it's great to see those groups
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Mine is setting in my safe at home begging me to take it out. I cycled a few rounds of brass case and it scratched the crap out of them. I think I am gonna fire a few mags of steel to smooth up the feed ramp. I also purchased a proper mag with mine and the built in feed ramp never broke off. That will probably change when I start throwing lead down range.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    The brass was pretty dinged when ejected anyway. I didn't notice any scratching. I'll try and remember to take pictures of the ejected brass next time.

The built in "feed ramp" in my two VEPR 45 round magazines haven't broken off yet either. Of course there's probably only been about 50 to 60 rounds through each.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Great review! thank you!!
    WTB:
    SVD: stock and handguards, FSB, gas regulator, 1200 meter rear sight
    Chicom: trigger guard, spiker FSB, gas block, underfolder rear trunnion

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    I may have missed something in all the various discussions about this weapon, but what is the "broken feed ramp" issues you guys are speaking of? I understand that Saiga rifles do not have feed ramps, and they are molded into the magazines themselves, to meet the "not military weapons" being exported from Russia that Russia requires. I also know that these new Vepr RPK 5.56 rifles have a feed ramp roughly added to the rifle so it will take regular mags. Please let me know. I have already purchased a 45round mag for this gun, and am about to go ahead and get the gun itself, but am curious. And by the way, Great review.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by treyak View Post
    I may have missed something in all the various discussions about this weapon, but what is the "broken feed ramp" issues you guys are speaking of? I understand that Saiga rifles do not have feed ramps, and they are molded into the magazines themselves, to meet the "not military weapons" being exported from Russia that Russia requires. I also know that these new Vepr RPK 5.56 rifles have a feed ramp roughly added to the rifle so it will take regular mags. Please let me know. I have already purchased a 45round mag for this gun, and am about to go ahead and get the gun itself, but am curious. And by the way, Great review.
    Thanks
    They are talking about the feed ramps in the commercial mags breaking off from contact on the feed ramp in the rifle itself.

There was another thread that covered the commercial mags with feed ramps vs the military mags without.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Great review! I've been on the fence to buy one of these VEPR RPK's. Hmmm, maybe I should get off the fence.
    Bring it On!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors