• 6 Post By Tater2.0
  • 1 Post By YankeeZulu
  • 1 Post By Story

Thread: Really cool Vietnam AK story.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Really cool Vietnam AK story.

Surfing Youtube this morning and saw this and thought it was appropriate to post here. Forgive me if this has already been posted. Too cool to pass up. Long and short is that a Cpl. who served with Hal Moore in Vietnam captured a brand new AK after a battle, carved his name in the stock, and was reunited with it years and years later. His story of why he carved his name in the stock is simple and funny at the same time. I hope I put the link in correctly.

https://youtu.be/ElyQU-t8PcQ
    "The future belongs to those of us still willing to get our hands dirty." S. Konietzko

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Thanks for sharing.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2090 times
    Pretty cool. A lot of politics surrounding "battlefield pick-ups," especially back then. It was far less controlled than it is now and they were frequently "commandeered" by higher ranking individuals, especially officers, who merely wanted the item. A junior ranking Soldier or Marine who actually won the item in the shit would be fed some BS line by his CoC and it would wind up on the wall of some Colonel or General's office in the rear. It was even worse in WW2.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1223 times
    very interesting video. thanks for sharing. typical course of events, though. the guy who actually found/earned it, gets screwed by someone further up the ladder who wants it.

Member #
    Liked
    301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
    very interesting video. thanks for sharing. typical course of events, though. the guy who actually found/earned it, gets screwed by someone further up the ladder who wants it.
    But now the guy in the field who obtained the spoil will be remembered in an English history museum, unlike many higher ups who had hands on the AK.

There is sweet justice here!
    "There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth ...
    not going all the way, and not starting."

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeZulu View Post
    Pretty cool. A lot of politics surrounding "battlefield pick-ups," especially back then. It was far less controlled than it is now and they were frequently "commandeered" by higher ranking individuals, especially officers, who merely wanted the item. A junior ranking Soldier or Marine who actually won the item in the shit would be fed some BS line by his CoC and it would wind up on the wall of some Colonel or General's office in the rear. It was even worse in WW2.
    Copy that. I can still to THIS day, hear my grandfather telling me how he "lost" an officer's Samurai sword in WWII to a higher ranking officer. He did end up with nice non-last ditch Arisaka Type 99 with matching bayonet and Mum still intact, and a NICE Japanese NCO sword from the Philippines. He has been gone now for 30 years and those items are still sitting peacefully in my safe. Those aircraft sights still trip me out.

Glad you guys found this as interesting as I did. As I mentioned in my intro post, its the stories behind our rifles that brought me to the world of the AK from America's rifle. I love my AR's but the stories behind them are being written by me and I'm not that exciting. LOL!
    "The future belongs to those of us still willing to get our hands dirty." S. Konietzko

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    I read about that story a year or so ago somewhere. I have a book that I got as a kid around 1987 that showed that rifle in the AK section. I always wondered what the story could be.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2090 times
    ^ ^ Personally I don't know how someone can look at themselves in the mirror not only owning a war trophy that they didn't actually earn, but one that they put out on display as is they grappled it out of an enemy soldier's hands themselves. Then again I have personally witnessed words and actions by officers that were so reprehensible and dishonest I had to do a double-take... and some of these guys were West Point grads. Straight-up wanton lies. Same thing goes for awards and ribbons. There seems to be no limit to the depths some O's and senior enlisted will sink to in their quest for fabricated glory. I'm sure there's at least a few vets in here that can concur.
    Bondmen likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Collecting AKs to 'arm an ARVN unit going into Cambodia' could very well have been a bullshit cover story.

The US ran a Technical Intelligence program, vacuuming up enemy equipment for study programs back in the US.
    https://www.dia.mil/Portals/27/Docum...20Cauldron.pdf
    https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...1a06p_0001.htm

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm2-22-401.pdf

The concept was revived in the Korean War and again in time for the buildup to the Vietnam War when a Captured Materiel Exploitation Center was set up in country. This was formalized as Delta Company of the existing 519th Military Intelligence Battalion.

Their own tech intel bulletins were widely circulated among U.S. and allied units with particular interest in capabilities of the enemy’s newly-introduced RPG-7 and surprise appearance of Soviet PT-76 amphibious tanks.

After a postwar layover at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Delta was moved to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland in 1978, first becoming the 11th Military Intelligence Company, later ramped-up to Battalion status.

?Technicians for Victory? Part I: Guns of the 203D Military Intelligence Battalion
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Look at the GI in the background, wondering which one to take? Can you imagine pulling up there with a truck and loading up all those 98K's....LOL
    IMG_0413.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Sure, lots of stories about officers pulling rank and commandeering war trophies, but theft happened (happens) at all ranks.

Souvenirs stolen en route while being mailed home, pilfered from rest camps and rear areas when men went back up to the line, and removed from wounded men in hospital. If you haven't served, it might be difficult to believe that there have always been plenty of low-lifes in uniform.

Carwood Lipton had a German sniper rifle rifle, Pistol, and all his other stuff stolen from him after he was injured in that truck crash while going home and transported to the hospital.

Member #
    Liked
    5053 times
    Cool video. I knew I had seen that T-2 before, it's in the Tokoi AK book.

Last edited by JeepFan; 06-05-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Sponsors