Furniture Color

Thread: Furniture Color

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Furniture Color

I've noticed that there are two distinct colors of plastic stock/upper handguasrds. The dark brown and a light coca brown. Any bearing on year of manufacture here?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Are those your pictures? Reason I ask is that just about East German stock I have seen, has had the same baby shit brown hue to it. Very very little variance.

Hootbro
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I agree with Hootbro on this.

The bottom pic looks like the exposure was off, lighting messed up or whatever.

Every EG butt I have seen has been pretty much the same dark brown.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The pics are from the Stephan.de site. Iíll guarantee the exposure isnít the difference because my local gunshop has one of these light colored stocked mixed in with his darker ones. Just curious if there is a significance.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Doubt there is any significance other than a bad day at the Trabant factory they were made in. When they started to make these for AK-74 production, only thing changed was the ribbed buttplate and sling loop.

Only way to possible trend it would be to gather examples and maybe track by date codes.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay here is a dumb question that may have already been answered.

If one gets a DDR plastic furniture set, is there something you can put on the reddish bakelite lower to make it match with the brown upper. Granted I have not personally seen piles of furniture sets, but the ones I have seen, have the non-matching color upper and lower; yet looking at many pictures from Iraq and builds, I see many that are (relatively speaking) matching in brown. Am I missing something?

Is the only alternative to handpick these sets?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Quote Originally Posted by www.Prussia.us
    Okay here is a dumb question that may have already been answered.

If one gets a DDR plastic furniture set, is there something you can put on the reddish bakelite lower to make it match with the brown upper. Granted I have not personally seen piles of furniture sets, but the ones I have seen, have the non-matching color upper and lower; yet looking at many pictures from Iraq and builds, I see many that are (relatively speaking) matching in brown. Am I missing something?

Is the only alternative to handpick these sets?
    Bakelite gets darker over time when exposed to sunlight.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have two Pistol grips in basically the same pattern, but there ARE some differences including one being slightly lighter in color. They are definitly made on different molds, one, which is an AKM pattern is slightly darker, the other is a bit lighter, the but has a slightly different profile, there are some 'notches' in the trigger guard location, maybe the lighter grip is for a 74?

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    The variance in color is a direct result of poor quality control standards due to the communist system in which they were produced.

One lot may be dark, and the next light. Anybody ever seen those red bakelite lower hand guards? Quality control.

When a bureaucracy owns the factory, they want the job done and they don't really care if it's done right. Who cares when you can't get fired.

You see it a lot in East German camo too.
    Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God. - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree, but can anybody verify that they changed the pistol grip molds from one model to the next? The two I have are definitly different. I belive one to be a AKM version and the other to be the AK-74 version (I don't know my EG model numbers).

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I posted in the link with pictures, you will note that the two I have posted have much (in a relative sense) greater variation in the details than those posted there.

Sponsors