1986 MPi-Km, Gas block and front sight and safety selector questions.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MPiKM-72

Thread: 1986 MPi-Km, Gas block and front sight and safety selector questions.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

1986 MPi-Km, Gas block and front sight and safety selector questions.

I started gathering the parts to assemble my 1986 MPi-Km. I grabbed one of the last batch of unsanitized EG kits from Apex, and while it said non-matching, the bolt, front trunnion, top cover and bolt carrier all match. I'm wondering about the gas block and FSB however. The ones I got are almost certainly not matching the rest of the kit, they had some crappy paint all over them. Also the FSB is cast (Or at least I think so, it has casting marks, pic included) and It came with a milled gas block (Again, not an expert but it doesn't look like the pictures of the cast ones, it doesn't have the rounded edges. Also its basically identical in every detail to my early Russian ones.) With rifles of this vintage what is the correct config for these parts? Which should be cast and which milled?

And also the kit didn't come with a safety selector or a trigger guard. I was planning to just grab one of the generic trigger guard and mag catches online, my understanding is they are all basically the same thing. As far as the safety selector what would be the most appropriate option? Were these cast or milled for this year?

Thanks for the help.

20191106_135535.jpg
    Last edited by Roxborough; 11-17-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    That FSB has the right look for an 86 East German, I bet it is correct.

The gas block should be cast.

My advice is to hunt down the right trigger guard before you rivet some random one in place. You can grab any safety selector for now and upgrade later.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Ok thanks, ill try to track down a cast gas block.

As far as the trigger guard and selector stop, what are the differences an East German one would have? Besides proof marks and finish they all look the same to me.

Im assuming the selector will be cast also. Apex has cast Tula selectors, that would be a reasonably close approximation?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    This is definately milled? It has the same paint as the fsb.
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    7197 times
    The kit you bought is one Apex obtained from Cole Distributors when they shut down. The missing trigger guard and selector stop is the clue. Don't get too upset if parts from another country are mixed in - that is how coles received them. Coles sold the kits primarily on gunbroker.

There were Romanian, Egyptian and East German parts in the Coles Distributing batch of kits. They were all mixed up until someone at Coles started studying and made and effort to match up countries.

The FSB in your pictures looks Egyptian to my eyes - the thin casting lines on the sides near the front of the FSB and in the middle above the sight drum are the main clues as is the paint.

Not a great picture, but this FSB and gas block are Egyptian. You can see the same dividing line above the drum.

The gas block you have also resembles Egyptian.

My 1986 East German trunnion, receiver chunk and very late production RSB were received by me when I ordered a Romanian kit from Coles. The front barrel chunk came from the old AA-OK vendor.

East Germany blued their 7.62x39 rifles until the very end.

There were some new Polish trigger guard assemblies being offered by AKBuilder at one point. Those make a good stand in for a late East German if stripped of paint. There is a bulge on the front of the mag catch that late East German rifles and Polish rifles had in common.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 11-18-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Peter 13 likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Ok thanks for the info.

How close is the Egyptian FSB to the EG? If I sandblast and blue it with the rest of the gun will it be a fairly close approximation?

I managed to get a Polish cast gas block. And also I found an original EG mag catch and selector stop. I couldn't find much as far as trigger guards, i'll keep looking.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors