Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stepping of a landmine --- safely

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    59 times

Stepping of a landmine --- safely

First of all, i hope this thread is on the right sub forum, If not please kindly move it to the correct section.

i have been doing a lot of research on landmines and i have got some facts and some myth about stepping off one safely. Hidden and lethal, landmines are a lingering legacy of war, And if a person steps on one, its that the painful sudden end. I know we have a lot of experience vet and shooters here so i will like to take the advantage and learn something new,

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Well, its a myth that the landmine will only detonate after you step off of it. No landmine works like that. If you step on one and it hasn't exploded yet, its probably an Anti-tank landmine and you're simply not heavy enough to trigger it. Most landmine representations in media and TV are of Anti-tank mines as well.
    rasengan, Kalliste and Averageman like this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    Well, its a myth that the landmine will only detonate after you step off of it. No landmine works like that. If you step on one and it hasn't exploded yet, its probably an Anti-tank landmine and you're simply not heavy enough to trigger it. Most landmine representations in media and TV are of Anti-tank mines as well.
    Thanks a lot Bob, There are so many myth to debunk. i find mines very interesting and most people don't know or like to talk about it. i found out some take 4 seconds to detonate after being stepped on. But 4 seconds is too short of a time to run anywhere far away from it so....
    Kalliste likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    rasengan likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elbee57 View Post
    Well, i respect the man that takes a step, not the man that sleeps around looking like boy George

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12137 times
    FWIW, the average anti tank mine takes 300 lbs of pressure to set it off, unless its the tilt rod variety. Landmines are now more kid friendly:
    68f332d7b2f91bb0eca18b9.jpg
    10Gauge likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I heard they stay active after 50-60 years.

Member #
    Liked
    5060 times
    In the right conditions the can last much longer and still ruin your day.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...to-20160402-1/
    elbee57 and 10Gauge like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    If you step on a Bouncing Betty or trip it with a wire, the fuze is ignited. There's a delay while it burns to allow you to step off and get the full brunt of it, but it's going off whether you move or not.
    10Gauge likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1353 times
    10Gauge and Arik like this.
    "Cause bitches don't like to be slapped on the cheek. Yugos need real men to shoot them who know how to hold them tight"
    -daefash

"Only a woman's glance strikes harder than an assault rifle."
    -
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
    If you step on a Bouncing Betty or trip it with a wire, the fuze is ignited. There's a delay while it burns to allow you to step off and get the full brunt of it, but it's going off whether you move or not.
    Incorrect. The M16A1 bounding fragmentation anti personnel does NOT operate in this fashion. When tripped by wire, or one of the three prongs on the fuse, the mine is immediately propelled into the air about 1 meter where it detonates.
    I've laid the real deal once, and the pucker factor was VERY high.
    Averageman and 10Gauge like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2072 times
    Are we both talking about the same mine? I only have training on the M16A1 bounding mine, and that one absolutely has a fuze delaying charge activated by the primer. I just peeked at the FM to doublecheck my memory.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12137 times
    Yes, its the same I trained with (along with others). When tripped by stepping on it, the charge in the bottom propels it about 1 meter in the air where it explodes. When tripped by wire, same result. There is a booster charge that goes in the bottom of the mine, and on top, there is a three prong long fuse, and another "ring" where a tripwire can be attached if desired.
    I believe the delay your referring to is the slight delay that happens when the mine is propelled up before detonation. I actually have an old deactivated fuse around here somewhere....
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    19284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    In the right conditions the can last much longer and still ruin your day.

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...to-20160402-1/

Stays buried and unexploded for 150 years, gets double blown up after somebody digs it up and calls the fucking cops.. Bye bye rare piece of history. I mean for fucks sake there's the internet, there's Facebook, it even says there's a guy who has a couple that he defused so contact that guy and find out the particulars.
    "I probably could have found somebody and got it defused. But what would I do with it in the meantime?"
    Uh.. leave it the fuck alone somewhere quiet and out of the way where people wouldn't futz with it.. I mean.. it got rough handled like a mofo and STILL didn't blow up. He didn't do research.. he panicked and called 'the authorities' who were more than happy to destroy it using "Safety" as a warm 'n fuzzy reason. I can't be too hard on the guy though since if he tried to do real research the ATF might have shot his dog. It's always upsetting to me seeing stories like this where history gets erased.
    JeepFan likes this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    19284 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    FWIW, the average anti tank mine takes 300 lbs of pressure to set it off, unless its the tilt rod variety. Landmines are now more kid friendly:
    68f332d7b2f91bb0eca18b9.jpg

mfw I realized that an anti-tank mine could be set off by some rando in a mobility scooter

1549867231000.jpg
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors