Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Alternative gun oils

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BobtheButcher View Post
    Rendered animal fat of any flavor should work fine.

Its less important with AKs, but if you are using animal fat you do probably want to strain it first to get rid of any small particles that might cause jams. Presumably, you're collecting it from cooking pans so its gonna have flecks of charred meat, bone, and other debris in it. Strain it through some cloth at least while its melted. Something like pouring the bacon grease from the pan through a t-shirt into the container you'll use to hold it. Then you can lubricate the firearm after its congealed. You're AK will be lubed, and smell delicious.
    I'm seriously considering this now.

I am going to go out to the woods this weekend and try out this tool oil, will post an update Saturday or Sunday. Thanks y'all!
    Nice, if you try the bacon route, post some scratch and sniff pics also 🤣🤣😂

No?...anyone?...no? Ok 👍

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will36 View Post
    I used to use this. We lost our beaver lube girl. ;( Attachment 267373
    It's best to use Anti Seize on large women. I wouldn't use bacon grease or animal fat on any weapons. Due to the salt content. Probably about as smart as those guys shooting their AKs till they catch on fire.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone use Eezox or Mobil 28 aviation grease???

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I use wheel bearing grease on my weapons. Does the job
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    I've used about anything available over the years, from 30 weight to LSA to CLP. Now I'm using leftover synthetic motor oil leftover from oil changes.
    We used to use something called "Dry Cleaning Solvent" in the military, that stuff is like paint stripper and about 400 kinds of toxic.
    You can really strip about 90% of the crap off a dirty weapon with hot, near boiling water. Lube afterwars heavily to avoid a surprise.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11327 times
    FWIW, we used to use 10W30 engine oil on our Ma Deuce, and had zero issues doing so. I have used Mobil 1 several times, and it seems to work very well.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    I have a good friend that was a weapons tech, a W-3 when he retired.
    He was a Tanker when he was enlisted and was always and likely still is a bit cranky and crusty.
    Anyway, he got some gruff from a unit that got new tanks and also 240's and M-2's. Apparently their M-2's wouldn't fire. He shows up and checks head space and timing and pours about 8 oz of 30 weight in each M-2.
    He fixed everyone of them by simply oiling them, they love to run a bit wet.
    I think he called about 17 NCO's Dumb ass before he left the range.
    10Gauge, scottyb, Thrasher and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Motor oil, animal fat, vegetable oil, 50 different types of grease yes.

Shtf that 1 lbs jar of never seize that will last you a life time will be gone in no time if you waste it on small arms. Don’t waste the never seize on small arms.

Don’t forget to stock some Loc-Tite, it can be just as important if using scopes or alternative optics.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2009 times
    Grease in the summer, motor oil in the winter. If it's well below freezing, I use my mixture of 10w30 cut with mineral oil.
    Get up on your feet, Don't look so obsolete, And thrash like an athlete!

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maus45 View Post
    It's best to use Anti Seize on large women. I wouldn't use bacon grease or animal fat on any weapons. Due to the salt content. Probably about as smart as those guys shooting their AKs till they catch on fire.
    True, hadn't thought about the salt.

I wonder if there is a way to refine the salt out of the fat. Maybe wash it? Dissolve the salts in water and rinse it out. Could be very time consuming, but would probably lower the salt content, and in a long term SHTF or TEOTWAWKI event it might be worth the effort.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I have a good friend that was a weapons tech, a W-3 when he retired.
    He was a Tanker when he was enlisted and was always and likely still is a bit cranky and crusty.
    Anyway, he got some gruff from a unit that got new tanks and also 240's and M-2's. Apparently their M-2's wouldn't fire. He shows up and checks head space and timing and pours about 8 oz of 30 weight in each M-2.
    He fixed everyone of them by simply oiling them, they love to run a bit wet.
    I think he called about 17 NCO's Dumb ass before he left the range.
    That's awesome lol.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Update!

I used the tool oil in my Tantal, my 20" A1 style AR and my old Stevens 620. All ran flawlessly.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwall101 View Post
    Does anyone use Eezox or Mobil 28 aviation grease???
    I've used Eezox as a light final application rust/corrosion preventative and it works really well as that. Not sure how much of a lube it is but they claim it to be.

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust92 View Post
    That's awesome lol.
    I was lucky to work for him about 22 years later as a Civilian Tech and he hadn't changed a bit.
    When he came on board the previous Supervisor had lost all control over accountability of our "Special Tools". I warned the guys I was working with as to what was about to happen. I got my own gear wired tight as a ticks ass and waited for the fireworks.
    Hilarious.
    Back on subject I think it's called lithium, it's a white grease I put on all the moving surfaces i.e. where metal slides against metal on all of my weapons. Great stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors