Like Tree135Likes

Thread: MREs And Other Rations

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11697 times

MREs And Other Rations

How long will they store? I found this guy on Youtube, and he opens up new and old rations, then tries some of them. Entertaining as hell, especially the chicken ala thing episode. Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prGV3tz0Iew
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    6264 times
    I too experiment with stored canned foods past expiration.

I ate Wolf Brand Chili No Beans that expired in 2012 recently. No noticeable degradation.

ETA: I forgot to mention the Chili spent several summers in a hot SE Texas storage unit.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 05-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    evolixsurf and Ram Rod like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11697 times
    I do the same thing with store bought food, but I thought it was interesting to see what this guy does. He even opened up a WWII breakfast K ration, and my personal "favorite"...chicken ala thing from 1985.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    "Nice! This thread has a strong under tone."
    imperialexpress likes this.
    WTB: Type3 Bulgarian Dustcover
    Gasblock
    Gastube

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Chicken Ala puke was good. Put it with some mayo or thousand island dressing between 2 pieces of bread and you had a good chicken salad sandwich.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    ill give ya what little i know. my info might be dated i havent bought or ate these in over a decade. here it goes.

the surplus vendor next to me ate these all weekend long at louisville one show. he said he does that every weekend. he was one of those guys built like a truck driver you know how they get kinda bearded and chubby or stalky whatever. i kinda cringed when he told me that.

the ingredients are for survival and storage life not really for eating. thats how i look at em. like if a nuke goes off hey theres some safe sealed up food go grab it. eating them by everyones account including me can stuff up your insides to the point where your needing a colonoscopy and until you do your grinding gears in low gear.

the dealers who sell these may or may not have left them in baking hot sun or ruined them in various ways and made them poor for long term storage. hard to tell what your buying. another thing is one of the surplus dealers locally said the provost marshall visited him and those were on his list of things he claimed were never sold by the us govt. he claimed not a single one has ever been sold by us govt and all are deemed stolen. i dont believe that but my buddy swears it was pushed on him like that. luckily joe didnt have any at the time but that was on the guys list. whatever it means.

ive been considering for years now our govt doesnt actually care about our veterans or troops and shits on em every chance they get. given that and other similar things they put in our food trough ill be restricting mre use more and more unless a nuke strike. at which point ill feel bad i didnt store any. there are some healthier and realistic alternatives. rice and water purification works best for me. my wife rotates the rice by eating it so its a functional system i ran into by luck and years of bad food preps. my food preps before were spare no exspense commando i thought but my health wasnt that great while i cycled thru em and i tossed alot of stuff out on my range.

water purification and rice might be an alternative.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I've watched that dudes videos before. I always find it amusing when his food hisses at him.
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5903 times
    Ahhh, meals rectally extracted lol. I loved the omelette with ham, pork BBQ and rice, and the ham slice. Spaghetti was okay. My Bradley crew would practically beat each other up for the ham slice.
    "When government takes away citizen's rights to bear arms it becomes citizen's duty to take away governments right to govern" ~ George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    2083 times
    Mountain House Anything.
    These guys make some great chow.
    I took a four day vacation hiking the ins and outs of the Grand Canyon recently and Mountain House was my main source of food along the way. All of it I had was much more palatable than any MRE.
    Four days, forty plus miles, most of them on steep trails and no small amount of rock climbing along the way. You get hungry doing that, so if it says 2 meals and your working that hard figure that's about 1.5 meals. Other than that, they are the tits.

Also, if you have a BOB, you need to test it under such conditions to see how it works. 35-40 pounds of gear isn't for vagina's.
    jmau8385 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5903 times
    On another video somebody called ol' Steve the Bob Ross of MRE rations lol.
    "When government takes away citizen's rights to bear arms it becomes citizen's duty to take away governments right to govern" ~ George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    Dad used to bring home some from time to time. The old brown bag ones weren't bad except tuna with noodles. Never ever ever eat that one. I think they took the entree out of it and left it for the enemy as biological warfare. That's what I would do with that nasty bastard.

Member #
    Liked
    1319 times
    We have to eat preservative-filled MRE's every drill weekend. They aren't that bad these days. Many of them have brand name items in them i.e. M&M's, Starkist Tuna, etc. Most of them taste like shit though and are full of calories, which get you through the day which is all that matters.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11697 times
    I'm lucky enough to have over 20 cases of the stuff right now, and all of them were packed a little over 2 years ago. Some of those new are not too bad, and are a far cry from the 12 choices we had in the 80s.

One of the best ones I have had, is the German 1 day pack. My brother in law sent several of them to me while I was in Iraq, and I have to say, they were not bad at all.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    theres more than 12 choices now??? whadda they got anything organic? or healthy? hows their chinese food? german chocolate cake?
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11697 times
    Yep, unless something has changed very recently, its up to 24 now, and they even have Kosher as well as vegetarian meals.
    MacSr63 likes this.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors