MREs And Other Rations - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: MREs And Other Rations

Member #
    Liked
    1282 times
    Take it you guys talking about MREs are rather young. C-Rats are the bomb. As for shelf life and use-by dates.................pretty much meaningless. I do know that peanut butter will eventually turn into liquid though.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    2089 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    We have to eat preservative-filled MRE's every drill weekend. They aren't that bad these days. Many of them have brand name items in them i.e. M&M's, Starkist Tuna, etc. Most of them taste like shit though and are full of calories, which get you through the day which is all that matters.
    You are supposed to live on one MRE a day.
    The Calorie content is high because they were designed to sustain you in combat.
    Ram Rod likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    The Calorie content is high because they were designed to sustain you in combat.
    That and not having to shit every 6-8 hours
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    And that is why we are only "issued" one per day.
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    888 times
    In the words of Steve, "Nice."

I like to eat dinner and watch him eat old rats, and the international rations people send him.
    Wyo Wolverine and MPiKM-72 like this.
    "God's away on business."

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Got a mountain of fairly current MRE's shortly before I retired six years ago.

Went out to the range with the boys and decided to take MRE's. Theirs were fine but mine had gone to shit in every way. Heater didn't work, food wasn't "right". Ended up with a pack of crackers, cheese spread and maybe a Tootsie Roll for the day's rations.

All were always well stored
    mike_r123 and demented like this.
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    That and not having to shit every 6-8 days
    That's more like it!
    10Gauge likes this.
    A hard time is always free!

Member #
    Liked
    18260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAPPER View Post
    That's more like it!

your sig line makes that even funnier.
    XSAPPER likes this.
    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davehal9000 View Post
    Got a mountain of fairly current MRE's shortly before I retired six years ago.

Went out to the range with the boys and decided to take MRE's. Theirs were fine but mine had gone to shit in every way. Heater didn't work, food wasn't "right". Ended up with a pack of crackers, cheese spread and maybe a Tootsie Roll for the day's rations.

All were always well stored
    i personally think most of the mres taste pretty good, no better or worse than your typical canned spaghetti or whatever.

the way i integrate them into my food storage is basically....i only have a few of them to be used "72 hour kits" or what have you...when you need something that is, as the name says, ready to eat without even adding water like some of the freeze dried stuff. that and they're just fun to eat once in a blue moon.

because they do have whatever wierd preservatives and probably do go bad in about 5 years, or at least lose their nutrition more quickly than for example stored wheat, they are not for long term/bulk food storage

at the end of the day, ive come to the conclusion that food storage should be about 3 things. 1) the "staple" type stuff, big cheap mylar sealed buckets of rice, beans, wheat, oats etc that last for 20+++ years with no problem 2) the freeze dried stuff that last for 20+++ years no problem and 3) a garden for ongoing fresh food/canning as you go year by year

More power to you if you can rotate through items to keep them fresh, but it's just so much easier to "fire and forget"...get some shit that lasts for 20 years and hope you never need it. If the shit hasn't hit the fan in 20 years then congratulations, you need to start making a LOT of bread to use that wheat. For daily eating, you get a lot more nutritional value/happiness from the lovely fresh foods we're all used to from the good old unsustainable, just in time grocery store with the 3000 mile salads, and of course stuff you grow in your garden or recently canned or whatever....

In a shtf situation, yes it won't be ideal to go from eating "nice" foods every day to eating rice and beans and freeze dried crap, but it will be a whole lot better than nothing.
    WTB: russian dshk kit or built semi DSHK
    WTB rare cool kits: russian, north korean, what have you, pretty much anything greasy old commie, ak, pkm, dshk, maxim, whatever

Member #
    Liked
    252 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Take it you guys talking about MREs are rather young. C-Rats are the bomb. As for shelf life and use-by dates.................pretty much meaningless. I do know that peanut butter will eventually turn into liquid though.
    John Wanye bars FTMFW!

I still have a P38 on my key chain.
    MPiKM-72 and JeepFan like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11727 times
    I cringe every time I see one of those old school chocolate bars being eaten. I have more than a few original P-38 can openers, and believe it or not, there was a factory near me that made these for years. Its now a surplus store, and they still have crates of those things.
    MPiKM-72 and MacSr63 like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    I have a couple of cases just in case, but a while back my oldest son and I cracked open a brown (not tan, brown from the 1980s) MRE and tried the contents. There were a few things that weren't edible, such as the hard candy that had melted; but for the most part there was enough to sustain a hungry person if necessary. I don't plan to eat ones that old if the need arises, but it's good to know the ones I have are still usable despite being well past their expiration date!

Cheers! M2

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11727 times
    I opened one that was eight years old, and everything was edible. The better they are stored, the better the chance more of it survives intact.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I stopped buying MRE's online, too many people trying to dump their outdated stuff. Got burned buying 6 cases that were dang near two years over

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by demented View Post
    I stopped buying MRE's online, too many people trying to dump their outdated stuff. Got burned buying 6 cases that were dang near two years over
    Those dates are test dates, your stuff may still be good.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsors