Homemade spall/frag liner

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Homemade spall/frag liner

I got a great deal on some VRaptor steel plates, but they don't have the anti-fragmentation/spall coating. I'm considering just buying some kevlar fabric or ballistic nylon to place in front of it in the carrier, but I don't know that that'll work. I've read some people use layers of bedliner but didn't see any proof of concept. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for that that they know will work from experience?

Thanks,
    D

Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    if you use kevlar or nylon for anti-spall on your plates you need to make sure you wrap your plates in the fabric. with fabric bending over all edges and held securely so it doesn't unravel. fragments move parallel to the surface of the plate when projectile strikes it. simply putting fabric in front of the plate won't protect your chin and neck area from spall.

as far as bed liner - i don't think it's that great of a solution for DIY. it works well enough and there are evidence on youtube. however you need to put a lot of layers of it really thick coat and with the price of spray can kind being fairly high - you are looking at significant cost. it's cheaper to buy plates already coated then putting spray on yourself. unless you work at bed-liner application shop and have access to it for cheap.

also stuff theyspray in the shops not the same stuff they sell in the cans. spray can bed-liner is very thin and will take dozens of coats to build up a substantial thickness enough to act as spall-guard.

there is a guy or two on the internet that sells kevlar sleeves to put your plate in. not cheap either but if you already have a bare plate and need SOMETHING still worth buying.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply dnepr0mike!
    I found a seller of "Rhino Armor Spall Blocker" on ebay for relatively cheap. Seems leightweight. The seller recommends securing the pads to front of plates with duct tape or glue. Has anybody had experience with the stuff??

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    i was wandering about that ebay seller his price is extremely attractive considering how mcuh d-rmor charges for his kevlar pockets. at least d-rmor is a known and well trusted brand that offer 10 year warranty on his products but its also almost 4 times as expensive.

i would test rhino spall blocker before trusting my health and body to it but at the same time if it fails (or doesn't fail) i either way on the hook for more cash. If rhino doesn't fail then i would need to purchase purchase undamaged replacements. If rhin fails then i need to purchase d-armor. Either way by this point my cost of of rhino would be approaching d-rmor if i went with it to begin with.

hence why i still didn't buy either, despite having done a whole bunch of research.

a friend of mine bought couple of linear yards of kevlar cloth and warped his plates in it. kevlar is cheaper than either of those spall pouches and if you can fins a reliable way to hold it in place and spall doesn't perforate it during testing - you are gtg.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm.. being kind of new to the forum I don't know who's who. Are there any financially endowed AK Forum posters who do youtube videos testing these kinds of products? A comparison of Kevlar sheets, bed liner and Rhino Armor would make for a great video...

Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    there was a wave of armor-themed videos on youtube about 2-3 years ago. everyone spoke about it everyone tested things. now that market finally has stabilized, manufacturers of the armor who were behind the screen drivers of this wave of 'let's all buy armor' can now rest on the laurels. you tube channels on other hand working hard to spin-off other new products on the market.

plainly speaking it is unlikely there will be another series of armor tests coming from any prominent enough youtubers

Sponsors