Bow & Drill, Hand Drill, Flint/Steel, & Basic fire s - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bow & Drill, Hand Drill, Flint/Steel, & Basic fire s

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    As stated by another poster, you carry matches and lighters with your gear along with a metal match. If you use or lose all of your packed methods... you can go primitive.

In a survival situation, if you have the bow/drill down perfectly, I'd suggest saving the matches/lighter/metal match for emergencies and use the bow/drill for fire if possible.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    As sexy as bow drills, fire ploughs, and hand drills are chances are when you really need a fire it will be under cold, wet miserable conditions and it will be with a match or lighter.
    The most important question to ask is can you light a fire using a match with 40-80MPH winds, drenching ice and rain, hands shivering and frozen and 2 of your friends near hypothermia waiting for your skills to save them.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by one_man_force
    As sexy as bow drills, fire ploughs, and hand drills are chances are when you really need a fire it will be under cold, wet miserable conditions and it will be with a match or lighter.
    The most important question to ask is can you light a fire using a match with 40-80MPH winds, drenching ice and rain, hands shivering and frozen and 2 of your friends near hypothermia waiting for your skills to save them.
    Better yet, same scenario but minus your lighter/matches... they were lost/damaged, now you are forced to use a different method to get fire (bow and drill).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, lighters and matches are wonderful things and you better believe that I carry them in multiples everywhere I go with more stashed at home. I also carry road flares in my rigs and packs for lighting those fires in the severe conditions mentioned above.

That does not mean that primitive fire making skills are something that I'm going to ignore though. It's good and valuable information and should not be shunned or dismissed. Thanks Kenelm52, that was a good write up.

I'm looking forward to the write up on lighting a fire in 40 to 80 mph winds, in drenching ice and rain, with a match, from one_man_force.

Always eager learn new things from folks.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side...

-Han Solo-

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Good stuff, I just wanted to add this.
    Ferro Rods, buy them cheap and stack-em deep.
    Put them everywhere in your gear. Hell sew the small ones into your clothing.
    http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re:

FIRE! WE MUST ALL LEARN HOW TO MAKE FIRE!

Great post. This is a good skill to learn and use. This skill could save your life. This skill is as important as trigger control and shot placement. Anyone can use a match or lighter. If everyone learns this type of skill, anyone could start a primitive fire.

Now, on the subject of fire. Take an old soup can. Put it in a pot of water on the stove. Drop a few candles in the soup can. Melt the wax. Get a bag of cotton balls. Hold the cotton in your finger tips and soak up some wax with it. Leave some cotton exposed like a fuse.
    Now, make a bunch of these. Gather your kindling, add one doped cotton ball, add one match and you have one fire. Light the exposed cotton. The wax and cotton will burn for several minutes. This is how you start a fire in windy, wet cold finger conditions. Start small and it will make a nice fire. Yes, I know, you must have these with you or all bets are off.

In a camping situation, a ziplock bag full of these will last a few trips. In a survival situation, a large quantity can be prepared before hand on the cheap and last forever. Under good conditions, use the other methods. Under poor conditions, use the doped cotton.

Using doped cotton with the bow will greatly increase the chance of a good fire on the first try.

Anyway, in a SHTF scenario, if living in a base camp for long periods, if conditions allowed, a fire may be kept going indefinitely.
    I believe in going well armed. I don't want to get killed for lack of shooting back!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Bow & Drill, Hand Drill, Flint/Steel, & Basic fire s

I don't know where I picked this up but it always seemed like a good idea...

Get one of those egg cartons made out of pressed paper (like cardboard) and fill each of the egg spaces with lint from your drier. Once it's full, melt wax like above and pour into each holder over the lint. You now have a segmented fire starting kit where you just break off each egg cup when you need to start a fire.

I'm gonna try it one of these days.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks great information

Survival & Preparedness Radio
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by mastergunner82
    As I said before....

You are all putting out good info! I don't dissagree with any of it.

As far as bam I'm fucked goes.... put the zippo (or any other high quality lighter) in a zip lock!! Bam I'm no longer fucked. Have on in every car and Bam I'm not fucked. I admire the old world way of makeing fire. But I'm probably going to use a lighter inless something incredibly assed up happens like..... I'm on vacation in alaska (or Canada) and everyone around me just plops over dead. Boom I'm by myself and for some reason I'm naked. Golly that would be scary. But guess what? I'TS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Let me remind you all that I admire the old way to make fire. Don't want an argument in a pretty awesome board. [/b]
    http://www.jacklondons.net/buildafire.html

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Outstanding!
    Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    5007 times
    how to make a thermite cutting lance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-VCaBUsCA