newjack with first pistol seeks holster

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

newjack with first pistol seeks holster

i just bought a glock 17 and i can pick it up next weekend. the reason i went with a G17 is for my "SHTF light loadout". i have a blackhawk mag carrier that holds 4 33 rd glock mags and 4 17 rd glock mags. the 33 rounders are for my kel tec sub2K and obviously the others are for my pistol. (first pistol!) and of course i can use either mag with either gun. i plan on having the mag carrier strapped to my left leg and the pistol holstered on my right hip. both attatched to a belt. just looking for recommendations on a good, reasonably priced holster for a G17 and also one that would work well with this setup. i aint concealing anything since i dont have that permit.
    thanks fellas

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: newjack with first pistol seeks holster

I have carried a couple of different holsters in both iraq and afghanistan to include cheap and expensive kydex belt and drop leg holsters. For kydex belt holster I am partial to Garret industries since I like the leather lining. I think it's a great deal considering how much some companies want for a plain kydex holsters these days. For leather I am partial to Tucker gun leather. I would also recommend a quality gun belt. I use Wilderness 5 stitch for everyday wear and I have a Tactical Tailor for a duty belt.
    Suck Less, Be Better

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Blade-Tech makes some fairly nice Kydex holsters, as does Raven Concealment. Spec-Ops makes the Vapor holster, which is pricy, but works pretty well as a drop-down holster. Be sure to order the Glock insert, if you buy that one.

Spec-Ops also makes a similar holster that can be worn on a belt or strapped to your Molle gear. Blackhawk! makes good holsters, as well. Their SERPA holsters can be adapted to various platforms.

If you want to go "cheap", look around for a military issue M9 holster. I use one for my G23. It can also be fastened to MOLLE equipment and rides well on a belt. You can probably find the snap-retention options for it online somewhere or at Bianchi, if they're still making the holsters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11842 times

I have a Spec Ops Vapor Holster with inserts for my M9, and .45, and really like it. There are lots of different things to choose from, and alot depends on how you will be using the pistol.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

I am the rusted fender of the American Dream.

I don't want Fop, damnit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

You may want to re-think concealment vs open carry, open carry makes you a bigger target. I like to keep my cards face down and play them as I need them, its much easier to control the situation if they underestimate you.
    "Scars are Tattoos with a better story"

The AK Forum Site Staff ~ Retired

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

thanks guys for the suggestions. doing lots of googling. youre definitely right about the conceal vs. open carry johno. id imagine if im carrying the rifle and mag carrier there wont be much need to conceal a pistol. on the other hand i could conceal both weapons without the mag carrier since the rifle can be folded in half and slung underarm if im wearing most any jacket. i could still still conceal a few extra mags. (probably not 10 haha) or i could conceal everything under a long coat depending on the time of year and look rather suspicious anyway. my buddy bought a house from a hoarder a few months back and gave me two badass trenchcoats he found in the garage. trouble is, nobody likes a guy in a trenchcoat so i never wear them. at least ive got a lot of options and i like a lot of options. a good reason for an open carry holster now would be for range trips. i really dont want to jump through all the hoops required to carry concealed especially since the police chief in my town denies 95% of applicants who arent LE. i just dont feel a need to CC now, and i figure by the time id ever need to there wont be anyone around to bust me for it since this is mainly a SHTF loadout. ill update when i decide in a few weeks. (next check mostly pays the rent)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

well heres what i came up with. its a crossman holster i got for free. the pistol sits pretty snug in it and i dont plan on doing any flips. plus its got a spot for an extra mag. the whole thing weighs like 30-35 lbs. 230+ rounds i can use in either weapon. somewhat concealable. the knife is a buck strider.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

30-35 pounds? You might want to weigh that stuff again because that's heavier than my full AK loadout with 7 mags and Glock with 3 mags...

Add some retention to that holster and you'll have a decent setup, well, a rifle would be vastly superior to a pistol caliber. If a threat hides behind a car of any size you're pretty much fucked but that setup is great for concealment. As far as brands go if you ever change it up: Tactical Tailor, Raven Concealment, and Wilderness as already mentioned make great stuff. Kydex OWB is something I'm not personally a big fan of, I'd rather go with a holster like you have with a thumb break or a leather one but kydex IWB is another story.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Even though you don't plan to carry your pistol on a regular basis, you should consider getting a semi-rigid holster for your pistol. By "semi-rigid" I mean a holster that is stiff enough or has a reinforced mouth so that you can reholster and secure your pistol one-handed. This is necessary if you are transitioning between your pistol and your rifle, or just if you need to maintain situational awareness after using your pistol.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11842 times

You also might want to consider suspenders for your rig, or use a ChiCom type chest rig with your belt.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Curious question: Are the cat and the Jim Beam part of your loadout? (Nice looking cat, by the way)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I carry a G19 daily. I have found molded kydex holsters are your quickest and safest holster using the "safe action pistol".

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Guns, Booze and Pussy.

Sponsors