Milled Receiver Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard W.

Thread: Milled Receiver Questions

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Milled Receiver Questions

Been interested in potentially getting me a milled kit to eventually put together, since a milled AK home built sounds pretty appealing lately. I’m especially partial to the fixed stock Yugo kits if I can find them for a decent price, and looking through the two milled receiver sites I’m familiar with ( tortort and cnc warrior), though neither seems to have them currently in stock, both have the same, giant opening in the back of the receiver for the fixed stock yugo’s in the pics. I was expecting it more to resemble the stamped rear trunnion setup, since the stock seems to have the exact same profile. Among I was kind of wondering just how the stock works with the rear section of the receiver to get an idea on what exactly goes on there. Can someone show me pictures of the new receiver or original stubs with stocks and such installed so I get more of an idea of how the milled receiver differs? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    4247 times
    The rear part of Yugo milled receiver is the "trunnion". The buttstock fits into the hole you are talking about in the same fashion as stamped Yugo AKs. This is done with a long bolt that runs from the butt of the rifle to the rear of the receiver, kind of like a Lee Enfield.

Couple of Yugo's I've built. Top picture is a Yugo milled Tort-Tort RPK bottom is stamped Recreator receiver for comparison.

In my opinion I'd look no further than Tort-Tort for your build. I've build on a number of his receivers and they are top notch along with his customer service.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Jeepfan, what I'm confused by, is based on the size of the opening on the rear end of the milled receivers in the pictures on their websites at least, it just seems like there must be a different way the stocks mount to the milled ones, cause the opening seems entirely too big for the stock to attach the exact same way. The gap just seems way bigger than just enough for the diameter of the bolt to thread through. Unless stocks for the milled receiver guns have bolts running through them that are quite a bit thicker than the bolts for the regular stamped rear trunnion. I guess maybe in reality those gaps are actually not that size, but the size of a regular bolt to thread through?
    Last edited by Haris122; 06-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4247 times
    I think this is what you are talking about.

Some pictures from google,

The milled receiver has an angled "puck" or "disk" type nut which the stock bolt threads into, these should be included in the kit.

Here is a stamped receiver trunnion for comparison.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Ok cool, that makes more sense. Im a bit surprised the “puck” area wasn’t permanently part of the receiver. Wonder why they did that.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3281 times
    Dunno why they did it that way. The ORF USA made milled receivers from some years ago simp-ly milled the wall at the rear and drilled and tapped the 8mm threads.

Zastava original receiver or tortort or CNC needs a donut>>

Member #
    Liked
    2030 times
    I prefer them to keep original details like the disc nut.

Hate simplifications like omitting the cover plates and the molded lower tangs on Firing Line T3s.

I'll pay whatever extra it costs.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5317 times
    Id be thankful for the puck style design.
    You can change the stock angle easier.
    If the threaded hole was fixed your pretty much done

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    How is it that makes the stock angle easier to adjust Mr. Nobody? Does the nut not just jam in there in a fixed identical position every time? This is kind of interesting. I figured initially, if it came down to it I could just get an underfolder and get a seperate wood buttstock with bolt, and get a fixed stock receiver and still be good to go. Good to know there’s more to it than that.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors