Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rivaltm
  • 1 Post By AKBLUE

Thread: Yugo N-PAP Mag Problem?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yugo N-PAP Mag Problem?

Hello everyone! New to the forum here and I was hoping to get some opinions on what the problem with my Gen 1 Yugo N-Pap AK is. So here is what I'm experiencing, the rifle has some feeding/chambering issues depending on the magazine that I use. More specifically the bolt will either jam the round into the face of the bullet guide or more commonly the bolt will not catch the back of the round and will ride about half way down the casing before it jams up. Now I am well aware of the Gen 1 single stack to double stack conversions done to this gun and the whole "single stack bolt" not beiing switched out, but the gun functions flawlessly with the Tapco polymer mags and the two steel mags it came with, it also fires perfectly with a 75 round Korean drum mag I have. However any other mags I've tried will experience the types of problems I described (30rd Yugo BHO mag, 30rd thermold mag, 30 Promags, and some 40rd mag with no manufacture stamped on it, and 30rd steel Bulgarian mags). Its random as to when it will jam as in it could be the 3rd round or the 13th round or 27th round and it will do either of the two types of feeding problems described. Any thoughts as to why my gun will work fine with Tapco and the two steel mags it came with and not any others? other than replacing my bolt. Sorry this is so long but I want to give as much info as possible to help you help me. Any advise on where to look for the cause of this is greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    How much front to back wobble do you have?

My first O-PAP had a magazine catch that was ground slightly too short, so if the back of the magazine was resting on the catch I would get the same bolt over malfunction you're describing. If I pushed on the front of the magazine to tilt the back up, it fed perfectly. New magazine catch fixed it.
    Tantal likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rivaltm View Post
    How much front to back wobble do you have?

My first O-PAP had a magazine catch that was ground slightly too short, so if the back of the magazine was resting on the catch I would get the same bolt over malfunction you're describing. If I pushed on the front of the magazine to tilt the back up, it fed perfectly. New magazine catch fixed it.
    There is very little front to back wobble with the non functioning mags, there is actually more movement with the two steel mags that came with it and they feed well. However the Tapco mags have zero movement front to back. Did your O-PAP have a alot or a little?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I didn't think anything of it at first, but it was my first AK pattern rifle.

I have other AK's now that have similar amounts of play, but which do not have feeding problems.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    what is the serial number of this gun and what is the part number on the bolt??

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3261 times
    You have the early import PAP Gen 1. Based on your description it has the single stack bolt. You'll need a double stack bolt and a headspace check and/or adjustment.

[email protected] likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks Ak BLue this answed another question i had asked.. I have an unconverted N PAP new production with the front trunnion allready machined for double stack and i was just trying to confirm that i had the right bolt before i took on the project.. Hopefully i will have a double stack n pap in a few hours..!! conversion time!! The best part is i now have a weapon that the gov thinks is single stack.. no paperwork..!!

Sponsors