Soviet Refurbishment and rearsenaling

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Soviet Refurbishment and rearsenaling

I know that the Soviets refurbed and rearsenaled a lot of AKs. I got refurb marks from Thor's hammer and I'd like to give my '64 Izzy a 70s style cast gas block. Would gas blocks have been replaced during a Refurbishment? Maybe if the old one had problems? Trying to keep it accurate and mixed period )

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    difficult to speculate, but considering the simplicity of the part in question, I'd guess improper pinning / installation of the original. Maybe it slipped through the cracks at the factory--seemed tight, but after some use it was found to be lacking?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elt4 View Post
    I know that the Soviets refurbed and rearsenaled a lot of AKs. I got refurb marks from Thor's hammer and I'd like to give my '64 Izzy a 70s style cast gas block. Would gas blocks have been replaced during a Refurbishment? Maybe if the old one had problems? Trying to keep it accurate and mixed period )
    That would be something only the Soviets would tell you for sure.
    Typically, re arsenaling was a process of replacing worn out parts after three conscript tours of two years each. After six years a given unitís AKMs were replenished with new ones.
    Since the Red Army was not in any active hot zones until the beginning of the Mojahedís push in the fall of 1980 in Assícrackistan and at which point all AKMs were phased out by AK 74s, all 7.62x39 re-arsenaled AKMs were only fired during training, essentially still new. Re arsenaled were either exported or stockpiled.
    Re arsenaling was minor work, doubt it a gas block would need a replacement unless it fell under a T-64

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5986 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex69 View Post
    That would be something only the Soviets would tell you for sure.
    Typically, re arsenaling was a process of replacing worn out parts after three conscript tours of two years each. After six years a given unit’s AKMs were replenished with new ones.
    Since the Red Army was not in any active hot zones until the beginning of the Mojahed’s push in the fall of 1980 in Ass’crackistan and at which point all AKMs were phased out by AK 74s, all 7.62x39 re-arsenaled AKMs were only fired during training, essentially still new. Re arsenaled were either exported or stockpiled.
    Re arsenaling was minor work, doubt it a gas block would need a replacement unless it fell under a T-64
    Interesting info. Do you have a source for this?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepFan View Post
    Interesting info. Do you have a source for this?
    Sure, it's all over the net. Just gotta be able to read Russian . I do

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors