1988 Izhmash AK-74 Rguns kit - pinned rear sight block?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By dnepr0mike
  • 1 Post By Moq
  • 2 Post By MPiKM-72

Thread: 1988 Izhmash AK-74 Rguns kit - pinned rear sight block?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

1988 Izhmash AK-74 Rguns kit - pinned rear sight block?

Picked up a 1988 AK-74 Izhmash kit and starting to have a bit of buyer's remorse - pretty sure this recoil spring is completely wrong (though that can be swapped out for not too much trouble for a correct unit), but did 1987-1988 Izhmash AK-74 rifles ever have pinned rear sight blocks? I know by this time virtually all of the FSB and GBs were dimpled on, both of which this kit fortunately has.

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.07.30 PM.pngrecoilspring.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    1059 times
    The recoil spring guide is wrong. It should be all punch pressed by 1988.

Sent from my vivo 1804 using Tapatalk
    WTB
    • German G3 bayonets
    • German G3 wooden buttstock & handguard

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    to me. this is no big deal. izmash ak-74 logo is on the trunnion and other parts. 99% of folks who you will be potentially reselling this to will not know the difference and will be impressed. I fell into this hyper-anality trap for a few years, but successfully beat the bug.
    Moq and Firebolt1176 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Moq

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnepr0mike View Post
    to me. this is no big deal. izmash ak-74 logo is on the trunnion and other parts. 99% of folks who you will be potentially reselling this to will not know the difference and will be impressed. I fell into this hyper-anality trap for a few years, but successfully beat the bug.
    I agree. If this isn't going to be a museum piece than I feel like some mismatched stuff can be fine on a rifle. I wouldnt want my 88 to have a shitty restoration on the dimples for the FSB and GB because every rifle had them but something like a mismatched cleaning rod, mismatched recoil rod and spring are a no biggie to me because they can show the rifle was actually used and maybe those parts broke or were replaced for some reason or another.
    Firebolt1176 likes this.
    - - - - - - WTB Interesting Plum magazines. - - - - - - - Looking for SMLE Lithgow magazine Serial #B 55157. - - - - - -

Member #
    Liked
    8192 times
    When Rguns first released the kits the parts were all mixed up. The story I was told was "atf required them to be mixed up" which always leaves me wondering why other kits come in matching. I think they cheaped out on the demil contractor. Anyhoo...

They made an effort to match numbered parts. The first kits shipped would still have some other parts mixed up. Later they learned what was essentially correct for a certain kit and shipped mostly correct kits.

It is very possible your kit was from the first shipments they sent out. Looks like you received a 1983 Izzy AK74 rear sight block.
    Moq and Firebolt1176 like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks all. Might just have my builder weld up the pin hole on the rear sight block and dimple press it on like he'll do with the front sight block and gas block. The milled gas tube lever I'll close my eyes on - I understand some early 1988 rifles retained that part, so not too big a deal.

There's also pretty much no chance I'll find the "early pattern" 1988 rear sight "half tick" rear leaf on its own, so I'll just go with "rear sight leaf broke or was otherwise damaged, replaced with older AK74 unit." I figure the recoil spring should be an easy job to replace though; AK74 units look at least to be quite plentiful. I assume that mine in the picture (with the numbers crossed out) would be for an AKM?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors