Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Russian apex kits

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    Its not what I have or don't have, its the lack (or seemingly) thereof of the once great active community we had on this section. There are a lot of once daily active members in this section that I have not seen in months or up to a year. I think more and more people getting into the hobby, whatever small number that is, flock more to social media like Instagram and the likes. Instagram is great and all, but it doesn't foster discussions or much depth other than a few "likes" then on to the next picture. Ok, thats my rant.
    People come and people go. If people leave here for Instagram or Facebook then have at it. The mentality is either showing their stuff off or completely wrong information. Ive checked out those Facebook groups and in general ALL groups were uneducated people who couldn’t form a complete sentence or spell correctly. First thing I noticed is the IQ goes wayyy down once someone exits the forums.

Most members are still here. I check profiles for last activity and a lot are still active. Just nothing to discuss as nothing new like you said. Personally I’d like to see some more 60s and 70s kits of any country come in.
    Mitchell, Vlado and MPiKM-72 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    I was spoiled by the kits we had when I started building.

Never have had any interest in buying a parts set without an original barrel, much less one missing the trunnion.

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    No barrel, receiver or trunnion. What is left anyway? And they want to charge $$$ for it? For the same price, I can get an OG barreled PMKMS or an EG kit with the trunnion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    I check this forum 10 times a day in hopes of seeing a rare kit or better yet a discussion on a correct/incorrect part.

I rarely post because there’s not much exciting anymore. I enjoy seeing the new guys come in and discuss their first builds and remember the days when I thought I could complete a build with a hammer and pair of pliers (not to be taken seriously). Building was still new and parts kits could be pure gold OG barrel single cut kits or a bag of useless parts. It was new and exciting like a new freaky girlfriend.

Every time I’d get a new kit another freaky cosmoline beauty would be available and pretty soon it was a commbloc orgy that Jeffery Epstein would have envied.

There’s just not much to discuss anymore, or at least not like before.

Maybe I’m part of the problem and should contribute more... Here is a Russian kit newly acquired, but it didn’t come from Apex.

05034302-1048-4B0E-89AC-9CF624802C84.jpegC7D58232-4922-44E4-BF59-D4D99452985E.jpeg930173C8-79EB-4F4D-9454-9D7133C063D1.jpeg96194B3B-2E43-4011-9869-FD73EED54BBD.jpeg

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    People come and people go. If people leave here for Instagram or Facebook then have at it. The mentality is either showing their stuff off or completely wrong information. Ive checked out those Facebook groups and in general ALL groups were uneducated people who couldn’t form a complete sentence or spell correctly. First thing I noticed is the IQ goes wayyy down once someone exits the forums.

Most members are still here. I check profiles for last activity and a lot are still active. Just nothing to discuss as nothing new like you said. Personally I’d like to see some more 60s and 70s kits of any country come in.
    I'm late to this hobby but have fallen in love with it. I've pulled a ton of information from all of you guys through the archives and the biggest annoyance is that a lot of the pictures that were posted are no longer available/expired. So I have been piecing things together through different threads and digging for information. I think that is one of the best parts of the AK; all the knowledge, history, and variations to absorb. I started with ARs, then I discovered AKs and realized just how boring ARs are comparatively, and just how deep the AK rabbit hole goes (of which I haven't event scratched the surface).

As a newbie, I appreciate all the past discussions and hope there will be future ones. I've notices in other places like Facebook and Instagram and even Reddit that the convo is very surface. I just don't see the love for the history in those places, more just showing off cool mods, etc.

In other news, I am super pumped to be building two '68 RGuns Kits soon; 1 Tula and 1 Izzy. Getting the final pieces together as we speak. Here's the wood:

https://imgur.com/a/F0G2VHb

Both have LHG#s and are all matching. The Tula has a RSL# Matching and a Hen Scratched Top Cover. 22many, I think I saw you had a similar hen scratched kit I took a screenshot of from a long buried forum. I'm just looking to swap a Tula RSB for an Izzy RSB on my 68 Izzy kit, that is what I bought the 2 from Apex for; rolling the dice to see if I get lucky as I can't seem to find anyone to trade.

Can't wait to have these done but trying to do them right and as true to the originals as I can so it's taking some time.
    Vlado, Mitchell, lopojo and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8817 times
    Quote Originally Posted by akdrillo86 View Post
    I'm late to this hobby but have fallen in love with it. I've pulled a ton of information from all of you guys through the archives and the biggest annoyance is that a lot of the pictures that were posted are no longer available/expired. So I have been piecing things together through different threads and digging for information. I think that is one of the best parts of the AK; all the knowledge, history, and variations to absorb. I started with ARs, then I discovered AKs and realized just how boring ARs are comparatively, and just how deep the AK rabbit hole goes (of which I haven't event scratched the surface).

As a newbie, I appreciate all the past discussions and hope there will be future ones. I've notices in other places like Facebook and Instagram and even Reddit that the convo is very surface. I just don't see the love for the history in those places, more just showing off cool mods, etc.

In other news, I am super pumped to be building two '68 RGuns Kits soon; 1 Tula and 1 Izzy. Getting the final pieces together as we speak. Here's the wood:

https://imgur.com/a/F0G2VHb

Both have LHG#s and are all matching. The Tula has a RSL# Matching and a Hen Scratched Top Cover. 22many, I think I saw you had a similar hen scratched kit I took a screenshot of from a long buried forum. I'm just looking to swap a Tula RSB for an Izzy RSB on my 68 Izzy kit, that is what I bought the 2 from Apex for; rolling the dice to see if I get lucky as I can't seem to find anyone to trade.

Can't wait to have these done but trying to do them right and as true to the originals as I can so it's taking some time.
    This is what I like to see! New people interested in learning about the ak. So much history in these rifles that I wish I knew the stories behind them. There is definitely a lot of info here along with a lot of misinformation that members have tried to set straight. Doug, Jerry, Jon, Mike, Steve and countless others have added so much to this hobby that had it not been for them and their dedication and knowledge this hobby wouldn’t be where it is.

Those kits are beautiful! They will build up very nice. Both those kits are top quality! Seeing what has came out of rguns over the years those are definitely better than 90%-95% of what was standard. My kit after 5 years I built into a rifle. After tracking down the correct tula parts, oversized virgin old school romy barrel and 74ullc receiver, I finally built it. The hen scratching is pretty rare so feel lucky that you have it! Thread to my build is here:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29...5-68-tula.html

Really looking forward to what you get from copes. At the price it’s not too bad of a deal considering it’s russian parts. Even when those trunnionless kits came out years ago they were $400.

Also, when you get tired of digging for info here on the forum, pm me. There is kinda a “unofficial akforum photobucket” account that has 5000-10,000 pics in it. Great for reference!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1364 times
    I've got zero interest in those over-priced kits without a trunnion. That's like buying a numbers matching '69 Camaro without an engine. It just ruins the whole thing. The trunnion is kind of like the heart of the AK, since it bears the full serial, maker's mark, and year of manufacture. Just my opinion, though.
    Richard W., Vlado, Bondmen and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1479 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
    I've got zero interest in those over-priced kits without a trunnion. That's like buying a numbers matching '69 Camaro without an engine. It just ruins the whole thing. The trunnion is kind of like the heart of the AK, since it bears the full serial, maker's mark, and year of manufacture. Just my opinion, though.
    Yep, no trunnion, no bueno.
    akraider likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nobody View Post
    Just my opinion
    Iv never been a fan of Russian akms because they’re painted
    After putting the 69 together I only test fired it and put it away.
    Chopped it in half and sold it a couple weeks ago ... maybe he’ll like it.
    Mr. Nobody I don’t like the kit you sold me at all. I LOVE it. It may not be perfect but it is very nice. All matching numbers. Only thing missing to make it 100% is no LHG and sight leaf number. The wood is in better shape than my hand select kits! Also the Romy barrel does have a small partial (y) mark. BONUS! The only thing that not correct is the FSB is a milled Izzy.

For me this was the cherry on top, as both of my 68 kits came with cast FSB’s. Thanks to you I can get started on having these built. I’ll probably attempt to build it myself since you already did the so much.
    I can’t say thank enough!
    Mr Nobody likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 22many View Post
    This is what I like to see! New people interested in learning about the ak. So much history in these rifles that I wish I knew the stories behind them. There is definitely a lot of info here along with a lot of misinformation that members have tried to set straight. Doug, Jerry, Jon, Mike, Steve and countless others have added so much to this hobby that had it not been for them and their dedication and knowledge this hobby wouldn’t be where it is.

Those kits are beautiful! They will build up very nice. Both those kits are top quality! Seeing what has came out of rguns over the years those are definitely better than 90%-95% of what was standard. My kit after 5 years I built into a rifle. After tracking down the correct tula parts, oversized virgin old school romy barrel and 74ullc receiver, I finally built it. The hen scratching is pretty rare so feel lucky that you have it! Thread to my build is here:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29...5-68-tula.html

Really looking forward to what you get from copes. At the price it’s not too bad of a deal considering it’s russian parts. Even when those trunnionless kits came out years ago they were $400.

Also, when you get tired of digging for info here on the forum, pm me. There is kinda a “unofficial akforum photobucket” account that has 5000-10,000 pics in it. Great for reference!
    Thanks! I didn't realize the hen scratching was rare so that is an added plus. It made me nervous when I bought it as I hadn't seen it before and was worried it was fake. Then I found the pics of your kit before it was built. Hadn't seen the final photos. Looks amazing! Can't wait to build mine up.

Definitely falling in love and definitely new. Also definitely wish I had gotten in sooner as the prices are climbing and I hear what people paid previously and I have envy. I'd love a 74ullc receiver, but I've heard the wait time is very long and its difficult to even get in touch. I am trying to get my hands on a Recreator and reached out to Matt about some custom work (squared off x+y, larger welds, and possibly a smaller mag dimple) but I haven't gotten a response in awhile. I guess everyone is just slammed; which is a good thing for AKs overall.

I'll post some pics of the RSB's I get next week. Shipping says they will come in Monday. I should mention I did specifically buy Milled RSBs from them since that is what I am looking for. So I am assuming they will come from kits '68 and earlier.

I've been thinking about giving APEX a call to ask them about their Russian kits. Specifically if they are from a specific year range, how they are paired, and other specifics. They are usually very helpful if they have the info. But as everyone else has noted, without the trunnion, what fun is there? That is where all the character lies in my opinion. Though, it is always fun hunting for proofmarks, the average observer doesn't appreciate those as we do. So for some kind of validation amongst my non-AK loving friends, that trunnion helps.

I'd love to get in on that picture archive. I've been hunting pics constantly and have a ton saved. It would be great to see what is in the archive. I even got my hands on Vickers AK Vol 1 recently to see more. I have only found a few ok (at best) pictures of an original '68 Tula AKM. If anyone has one I'd love to see it.
    22many likes this.

Moq

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    This community is amazing. Can't agree with yall more when you say the IQ of people goes down the farther away you get from the forum. I try to get people that are really interested in the AK that I see on Reddit to check this forum out. Hopefully at least one has. The knowledge you all possess is amazing and something to marvel at. Forums like this one are the reason I decided to go with a kit for my 2nd AK instead of a modern built one. I sent my 88' kit from Rguns off to Brendyn a while ago but haven't gotten it back yet. Hopefully he'll get caught up so I can see my rifle complete! I try to get on and peruse the forum at least once a week to soak up all the knowledge you guys spit out.

Kit as I configured it, that I got from Rguns:
    kpxea2fwhnf21.jpg
    Rguns matching 1988 Izhmash kit
    NOS Russian 4.5mm folding stock trunnion
    Used 4.5mm Izhmash folding stock
    Kvar CHF 5.45 barrel
    Weaponmark selector marking stencils (not pictured)
    ReCreator ‘88 receiver
    Collector's Source RMP3 Rail

Scope I snagged up for it as well:

RPG scope1.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Moq View Post
    This community is amazing. Can't agree with yall more when you say the IQ of people goes down the farther away you get from the forum. I try to get people that are really interested in the AK that I see on Reddit to check this forum out.
    Reddit is the kindergarten short bus of gun conversations. I didn't believe how awful it was until I saw it myself. Nearly every AK thread is some guy with a WASR looking for pats on the back for a pic with new UTG plastic furniture on it.
    22many and Moq like this.

Member #
    Liked
    496 times
    That may not be the best for it as it was made for RPG Try and get a kalinka in caliber you need
    11th air assault div 63 65 1st bn abn 8th cav 1st cav vietnam 65 66 11th special forces group 70-74 major sks and ak collector ammunition collector

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4119 times
    As far as authenticity, the ideal scope for your rifle is a 1P29. The RPG-type scopes were utilized in Afghanistan during the early years of the war - along with converted Mosin Nagant sniper scopes - as stop-gap optics solutions when supplies of purpose-built AK74 combat optics were still scarce, but would be an odd sight by '88+.
    Moq likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Moq

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    Reddit is the kindergarten short bus of gun conversations. I didn't believe how awful it was until I saw it myself. Nearly every AK thread is some guy with a WASR looking for pats on the back for a pic with new UTG plastic furniture on it.
    You’re not wrong. I hate the amount of “NEW TOME WASR 10” posts, but you can also get some gems, mostly from the people that post them here first and then Reddit.
    russian_bot_5791 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors