• 2 Post By StuG_1944
  • 3 Post By Fiorentino
  • 3 Post By airborne.sapper

Thread: 84í AKS-74 Gunbroker Listing

Member #
    Liked
    550 times

84í AKS-74 Gunbroker Listing

Searching Gunbroker and I came across a listing for a Ted Marshall 1984 AKS-74 build. The seller claims itís an all original 84í matching kit, with an original barrel. Looking at the pictures and my spidy senses are tingling. Am I correct in my assumption this whole build is done with force matched serials and a reproduction trunion?

All the serials aside from the hen scratching seems to be engraved instead of the stamped that I would expect. The Izhmash arrow looks like itís engraved too. If thatís the case the barrel seems suspect too. Bulgarian or saiga barrel maybe?

Any thoughts? Iíd hate for someone to put down big money and get burned. Looks like a nice enough build but have my doubts on the originality.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/823785371

Member #
    Liked
    6218 times
    I have no 1984 Izzy photos to compare. To me looks like a Ted Marshall engraving job. Every marking just seems too perfect. That's the VIBE I get. Just my opinion. Would be happy to be proven wrong.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    I saw it on my phone and started bidding. Once I saw it on my computer it was clearly fake. Glad I didn’t hit the reserve, I’d have a very expensive Ted Marshall Bulgy build.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    I saw it on my phone and started bidding. Once I saw it on my computer it was clearly fake. Glad I didn’t hit the reserve, I’d have a very expensive Ted Marshall Bulgy build.
    Ah that’s a thought, all Bulgarian serialized parts and a repro trunion to match?

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    It's a Marshall/Bulgy clone...that's his very distinctive form of engraving...neat, straight and the fount on the trunnion isn't quite right when compared to '83's and '85's (I couldn't scare up a pic of an '84)...also that's his almost signature izzy arrow in the triangle...nice Bulgy clone...
    TigerHawk and MPiKM-72 like this.
    Akforum member #234...

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1972 times
    Faux.

Besides the odd too perfect markings, the arrow is engraved. One of the tell tale signs is the originals, the "arrow" engraving looks move triangular in shape, and the arrow is hollow.

In all fairness, he does list it as a build that is "identical to the real thing".

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    I think he’s insinuating it’s identical to the machine gun, the ads first line says “Factory Russian Izhmash”. Oh well. Just checking I wasn’t crazy. Not really familiar with Ted Marshall builds. Definitely irks me when people pass of repro as real.

Member #
    Liked
    1083 times
    yeah... what a loser. trying to pass that off as a parts kit from an original factory Izhmash is not only ridiculous, but it's just plain wrong. I hope karma choke-slams this asshole.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    I knew that trunnion had bee scrubbed as soon as I saw it. Looks just like this one done by the same builder.

Projects and exhibits Page 25

Still a nice rifle but the false advertising is kinda lame.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    It's amazing how far we've come.

I love looking back at older builds that have faux engraving that's way too perfect with tons of proofs, receivers (nodak), and paint finishes that don't look original. (It makes me thankful for the Rguns kits.)

I remember on Gunsnet.net people saying BBQ grill paint was the best finish to match Russian paint jobs. (Now we have techno with his amazing paint.)

Here's one of my own examples.

GunDoc did this shit. I had an AK-105 kit I pieced together, I sold it all off and the receiver still sits in a drawer in disgrace.

(With this all said, I'm not making fun of the rifle in OP's post. Looks like a great build.)

6bH9ZmQ.jpg
    jUayXIO.jpg
    Last edited by StuG_1944; 07-31-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Mitchell and Fiorentino like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3586 times
    While that auction is bullshit, it does bring back fond memories. Gundoc and Angela were like the poor man's Ted Marshall with engraving. It really is amazing how far we've come

While I'm obviously incredibly happy for the kits we have, I do miss the old days of trying to clone years. The hunt for parts back then was something else. I think before the '86 AKSU's came in, I had managed to gather a single tula plum grip, a late era Tula break, bolt carrier, and stock- and I was damn proud of them In hindsight though, I probably paid nearly as much for those parts as the $750 '86 kits
    StuG_1944, akraider and Mitchell like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Something was fishy about this. I have my t2 up for trade and got an email from this guy about his “100% original 84 aks” he’d trade for it. Seeing as how that year is incredibly rare and I’ve never seen one, and the fact that he claimed it was all original Izzy including barrel, I bit. He sent me pics and something just looked funny. It’s too perfect. No raised edges from the stamping, etc. I spoke with another member here about it when I was receiving pics of it. Then I managed to get ahold of Ted himself. THAT MAN CAN TALK! After talking with him on the phone for hours, he assured me it was one of his builds. While still really nice, not exactly the “all original” aks he claimed it to be. The owner swore and assured me it was legit. And after presenting him with the info I got from Ted, he went dark. Either he was trying to pull a fast one on me, or he was ignorant to what he has. Anyway, I passed. This guy is incredibly misleading.
    scottyb, Andyman and TigerHawk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airborne.sapper View Post
    Something was fishy about this. I have my t2 up for trade and got an email from this guy about his “100% original 84 aks” he’d trade for it. Seeing as how that year is incredibly rare and I’ve never seen one, and the fact that he claimed it was all original Izzy including barrel, I bit. He sent me pics and something just looked funny. It’s too perfect. No raised edges from the stamping, etc. I spoke with another member here about it when I was receiving pics of it. Then I managed to get ahold of Ted himself. THAT MAN CAN TALK! After talking with him on the phone for hours, he assured me it was one of his builds. While still really nice, not exactly the “all original” aks he claimed it to be. The owner swore and assured me it was legit. And after presenting him with the info I got from Ted, he went dark. Either he was trying to pull a fast one on me, or he was ignorant to what he has. Anyway, I passed. This guy is incredibly misleading.
    Damn. You dodged one.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors