• 1 Post By asrspr
  • 1 Post By jmankins
  • 1 Post By Sunspot

Thread: Rguns Tula AKM parts kit ID help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Rguns Tula AKM parts kit ID help

I thought that Rguns was sold out of their Tula AKM kits and just picked up a 68 Tula kit when I saw that they had a few listed on GB. I think there's still one left.

I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with! Numbers all match, kit seems in good shape and mostly correct. But even after reading through the very helpful "Differences" thread, I could still use a bit of help with a few IDs.

Photos of all the parts: https://imgur.com/a/JCi4QHf

Stuff I'm not so sure about:

Rear sight block: The leaf is obviously Izhevsk and there's what looks quite a bit like an Izhevsk arrow mark on the barrel section. But the dimple looks smaller than the barrel pin and there's what looks to me like a rounded triangle stamp on the front face of the block. Also, no stamps in front of the leaf. I think it looks machined rather than cast, but I'm not sure.

HG retainer: machined, but no stamps that I can see to identify Tula or Izhevsk.

Trigger guard: The photo of the stamp inside isn't the best, but in person it seems to clearly be a rounded triangle with a 3 inside. However, that also looks like a hardness test dimple on the front side of the mag catch.

Wood: Just no idea. Front pin on the stock is in the middle, but there's what seems to be a diamond stamp next to it.

Parts that seem fairly definitive:

Trunnion: no real surprises here. For Tula, it seems like a nice impression on the star. Can't make out a trunnion sizing code though, unless the partial stamp on the right is a 2 or 3?

Front sight block: Machined Tula

Gas block: Machined, presumably Tula since it's attached to the same barrel segment as the FSB.

Recoil rod: Machined Tula

Carrier/Bolt: Matching numbers

Selector: Rough cross-hatching and blocky numbers suggest Tula

Rear trunnion: Lotsa Tula circles

Gas tube: numbers match

Pistol grip: Tula dashed mold mark

Dust cover: numbers match
    Last edited by asrspr; 07-21-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    burnnrbr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Your HG retainer and RSB seem more likely to be Tula to me.

The shape of the mag catch can help identify the trigger guard. Look at it from the front and part not shown in your photo.

Wood is really hard when it has been refinished. The stock has a Tula look to me but the LHG appears to resemble Izzy.
    asrspr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah, thanks. Here's a full profile shot of the mag catch:

2019-07-20 13.39.36.jpg

And a better photo of the trigger guard stamp (maybe a "g" or a "9" instead of a 3):

2019-07-20 13.40.50.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Iím leaning towards Tula on the TG. Izzy latches tend to be very round at the bottom and Tula tend to have a slight flare on the sides making it look less round.

Member #
    Liked
    825 times
    ^ I say tula trigger guard also... all of my Tulas when you demil the trigger guard the tula will have a proof on the selector stop as well. Izzys doesnt proof the selector stop.

what looks like a dimple on front of mag catch might be a bubble in the paint as there are others most hardness test are way lower on the lever. Demil will tell you for sure...

Really nice kit you got there... love the topcover.
    Last edited by Sunspot; 07-20-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Fiorentino likes this.
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I'm super pleased with the condition and seemingly consistent match of the kit, to say the least. That top cover really is almost immaculate.

I'm not so sure what to make of lack of a trunnion size mark though. I know it's supposed to be right there in the middle, but there's not even a faint impression so far as I can tell. I guess I better have this thing built while those oversized Polish barrels are still available in case it's a 3 or 4.

Attachment 267869

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by asrspr View Post
    HG retainer: machined, but no stamps that I can see to identify Tula or Izhevsk.
    Very nice kit!

Check on the side of the lever. I have one with a teeny tiny triangle stamped on the lever. Also check your muzzle nut carefully. I have a slant brake with a small triangle there also.

Robert
    WTB/WTT

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors