PLO T3 Underfolder kit complete (pic heavy)
Like Tree25Likes
  • 23 Post By talmadge
  • 1 Post By airborne.sapper
  • 1 Post By airborne.sapper

Thread: PLO T3 Underfolder kit complete (pic heavy)

Member #
    Liked
    142 times

PLO T3 Underfolder kit complete (pic heavy)

<br>
    <br>
    This is how I received the kit. I paid $2300 to a member from here for the kit. The big caveat with the kit was that one of the previous owners (not the guy I bought it from) had cut the barrel out of the front stub. This was probably done in a time when rewelding wasn’t common and building on a new receiver was considered the only option. Fortunately, he actually kept the piece that he cut out. The owner that I bought it from, apparently with help from BR762, used a threaded rod to hold the piece in place in order to weld it. <br>
    <br>
    He did a pretty good job and the barrel threaded in and out without much effort. However due to this wart BR762 and two rivers both denied to build the kit. I ended up going with TurboThis/MY Guns NW, who did an excellent job. <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    This kit has a lot of character. All the numbered parts are matching, including the recoil rod and gas tube. Not the electropenciled “matching” that a lot of PLO kits have. The handguards and pistol grip were hardwood, not laminate, leading me to believe they were probably factory original. However they were also rotted beyond hope of saving. The right stock arm had been snapped off at some point and welded back on, sometime before the horribly damaged paint job was applied. The left side sling loop was missing and probably had been for decades. The bore, however, was in fantastic shape, chrome lining to thank for that.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    The build as I received it from turbo. The middle section was Polish. I asked him to remove the Polish selector markings but not engrave the Russian. It took a while for me to get it back, but he did an excellent job and I would recommend him without hesitation based on my experience. I think he charged around $400 for the services, keeping this build well below 3 grand. I thought that was a very reasonable price considering he had to torque and populate the barrel assembly, as well as clean up some of the weld work on the front stub repair, two things a typical PLO kit would not require.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I etched the Russian selector markings using a weaponmark kit, and silver soldered on the tips of the auto sear pin to create a fake third pin. I made the hard decision of removing the upper handguard, which I knew would destroy it. I wanted to use the original gas tube, but it was pretty badly rusted and the upper handguard wouldn’t have survived much use. Very neat, I actually found some of the original bluing amid the rust. <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Originally I was planning on bluing the entire rifle, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I would regret it if I stripped off all the “original” paint. Obviously the paint isn’t original to the factory, but it is original to the condition the rifle was in before it was cut into a kit. I also realized I never really liked how most T3 PLO kits looked after they’ve been hot blued. People with kits that still have bluing intact have something really special, but this wasn’t one of those kits, and I decided I didn’t want to fake it. So I painted the receiver and fatigued it manually to match.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I retired all the existing furniture and replaced it with a laminate set. In the case of the upper handguard this retirement was in the blade runner sense. I’d like a set of original hardwood to use, but it might be difficult finding a set. This laminate will do for now. I might try and darken the handguards somehow so they don’t pop so much. Overall, I’m thrilled with how the build turned out. <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    AKFAN, JoDaBo, gregsthe1 and 20 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    That looks awesome. You should be proud of that sweet and historical rifle.

I had an upper hand guard just like that on a 1966 Romanian RPK kit - broken in the exact same places and split into 3 separate parts. I tried several methods of gluing it back together from the underside, but the slightest amount of pressure always ended up breaking it apart yet again. Never could get it back onto the gas tube in one piece. Gotta admire a piece of wood like that, though. It gave all it had to The Cause.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    Wish I never sold it! Looks awesome man! Really happy it’s together and that it worked out.
    talmadge likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    awesome

Member #
    Liked
    987 times
    That's beautiful dude!!, bet it's a indescribable feeling to have such a wonderful piece

Member #
    Liked
    532 times
    Looks amazing. Great job with the paint. Matt’s lightening cuts are looking great too. I’ve had a couple in the past that weren’t nearly that nice.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russian_bot_5791 View Post
    That looks awesome. You should be proud of that sweet and historical rifle.

I had an upper hand guard just like that on a 1966 Romanian RPK kit - broken in the exact same places and split into 3 separate parts. I tried several methods of gluing it back together from the underside, but the slightest amount of pressure always ended up breaking it apart yet again. Never could get it back onto the gas tube in one piece. Gotta admire a piece of wood like that, though. It gave all it had to The Cause.
    I was thinking I might be able to glue it when I started to see the cracks appear, but what’s not in the picture is the small pile of dust and splinters that came from the cracks. It was basically crumbling. I still have the pieces of course but they’re just in a plastic bag now.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    I remember the furniture being in rough shape with that thing. But I do remember the bore being the nicest I’ve seen on any plo kit. I was even more shocked when I was able to tig the cutoff piece back on and get the barrel to thread in, big thanks to BR for the guidance and help with that. I’m so happy it turned out well. It looks so damn cool, especially with the “rough” paint.
    scottyb likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I’m actually amazed that the guy who cut it actually kept the piece he cut off. That was really lucky. But yeah, don’t most PLO kits have laminate furniture? Laminate probably would have held up better but I bet this hardwood is the same it left the factory with in 1958.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by talmadge View Post
    I’m actually amazed that the guy who cut it actually kept the piece he cut off. That was really lucky. But yeah, don’t most PLO kits have laminate furniture? Laminate probably would have held up better but I bet this hardwood is the same it left the factory with in 1958.
    I believe so. The type 3 reweld I have has laminate, but no clue if original or not. My type 2 has hardwood but I think they all did. I ONLY sold this kit to fund the t2. Ive never regretted selling a kit as much as I did with this one. Especially after the video you sent me!

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Vary vary nice. Matt does good work.

Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Super cool build..

mine has green paint on it so it will be painted too a baby poop green color. Basically the same gun.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors