• 3 Post By Richard W.
  • 6 Post By barmonkey
  • 1 Post By barmonkey

Thread: Russian Type 3

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

Russian Type 3 with a stamped year?

So...I was browsing the internet looking for pics of early milled Chinese AKs. Well I ran across a picture that I found interesting. It is of a Russian Type 3 with an actual date stamped on it...1955c !!! I found it on the Zib-Militaria web-site.

As far as I knew the Russian Type 3 used a letter code at the end of the serial. Post #3 of this thread https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-russian/96407-russian-dating.html#post907103

has a listing of said letter code. I suppose "Myth Busted"?
    Last edited by barmonkey; 02-26-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Very cool! Thanks for posting! This would be an early t3 receiver...
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1058 times
    A couple forum members have 1955 dated/marked Type 3 kits, they are rare ones. Looks to have solid wood furniture, early feature. On the flip side there were some late production Type 2 rifles that had date codes instead of a date. More variants that are missing from my collection. The AK disease never ends.

Thanks for posting the picture.
    Last edited by jithaca; 02-27-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4580 times
    I luv me sum Type 3.

Thx for posting that.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Here is a link to the Zib-militaria sit where I found the pictures. Apparently they found these five Russian T3s in a batch of 1000 Bulgarian AKs....wish we could order from them! "Sadly not in stock!"

Awtomat Kalaschnikowa org. Russia, deactivated AK47

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Just wanted to correct myself...in the first post, I stated that it was dated 1955c. I found another picture of a trunion, and t is clearly 1955r. (where the "r" is actually the Russian character for "G" which is the same as the Greek letter "Gamma".

So, has anyone ever seen an earlier dated Type III?

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1058 times
    Never
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Member #
    Liked
    2552 times
    Quote Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
    Just wanted to correct myself...in the first post, I stated that it was dated 1955c. I found another picture of a trunion, and t is clearly 1955r. (where the "r" is actually the Russian character for "G" which is the same as the Greek letter "Gamma".

there are type ii's marked 1955 also.

Member #
    Liked
    1969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post

The "r" after the year is a common mark on Russian arms. Stands for "goda" ("of the year").
    barmonkey, JoDaBo and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    So...Inspired by what I found I decided to add something unique to one of my milled projects. Both of these were built on the earlier Tortort receivers before he started drilling out the pocket. They were both assembled using a bunch of orphan, NOS and US parts...so I came up with the catchy name "Fauxgarian". Adding Russian markings is in no way an attempt to pass it off as a "genuine Russian AK" but just for my personal whimsy. Although I do want to get some details "correct" to have a fairly legitimate looking clone.

I ordered the selector marking etch stencils from one of the guys selling them, but neither has the Izzy stamp for sale currently and do not even offer a stencil with 1955. I decided to try to make my own as well as some selector marking stencils. I did find a good picture of a Type 3 with the 1955 stamp and did my best to copy it. Let me say that there was quite a learning curve for me! ... and still more to learn.

Anyway, I found a font that closely resembled the Russian stamp numerals and then modified those numerals in a design program to match the picture. I then built the Izzy stamp from scratch. I still need to do some tweaking to the Izzy stamp and sizing. My first attempt looks to be a tad too big...but not cartoonishly too big. What you see in the picture is just the parts that were weeded out from the stencil and not an actual etching.

BTW...don't make fun of the screws holding the trigger guards in...Works-In-Progress. They do both have 300 rounds through them so far.

Last edited by barmonkey; 06-03-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

Need to fatten the arrowhead a bit.
    scottyb likes this.

Sponsors