Please post confirmed russian barrel proof markings Russian vs Romy circle y debate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Please post confirmed russian barrel proof markings Russian vs Romy circle y debate

Member #
    Liked
    506 times

Please post confirmed russian barrel proof markings Russian vs Romy circle y debate

Ok here we go. Due to a large continuous discussion in another thread I'm starting this new one. The goal is to try and figure out if romy circle y barrels are possible russian.

Rules Please post your original photos only. Lets try to limit theories and general discussion out of this thread. Lets keep this stream lined and put discussion and theories in another thread. try to get all avail markings between rsb and gb. start with a wide view and zoom in on specific proofs. Try and include diameter of the circle y, make (Izhmash, tula, ,molot), and years of kit for the photos.

Please post suspected romy circle y barrels with the same criteria as above.

I am personally curious to see if all russian have the perpendicular markings as the photo below.

If anyone has any recommendations to these guidelines please pm me.
    Last edited by 1968roadrunner; 05-20-2016 at 04:39 PM.
    evolixsurf, romaniang and MPiKM-72 like this.
    WTB: T1/2/3 barrels, russian t3 matching kit, izzy non refurb tg, late tula nos tc, T2 blued trigger guard
    will suck dick for russian milled T2 top cover & tube П П 8773

Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    1962 Izzy AKMS circle y approx 5mm

sadly my other kits and rifles are stored at my dads until i move into a new house. will post my others at a later date.
    Last edited by 1968roadrunner; 05-20-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    WTB: T1/2/3 barrels, russian t3 matching kit, izzy non refurb tg, late tula nos tc, T2 blued trigger guard
    will suck dick for russian milled T2 top cover & tube П П 8773

Member #
    Liked
    226 times
    I have 2 WASR's that are dated 1965 and have matching parts. Here are pics. There is a sqaure with a 6 in it on both. one has a circle with a N or Z. One has a circle with an 8 in it. and what looks like an x with a swoosh on one of the lower legs.

Want to Buy items:

Romanian Reverse Dong HG Lower with no serial number, Early type, Dark wood
    East German Type 3 Parts
    Hungarian Matching AK55 Kit

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    I mentioned this in the other thread. If we could find a original barrel md 86 kit with the y, then compare it to a intrac barrel without the y. See if there is any differences in machining or anything, and if there is not, then compare it to a late 80s Russian barrel, And if the Romanians are different from the Russian in anyway will that not put a end to this theory??? Or has this already been done? I never seen a md 86 barrel to see if there was y stamps on them or not!

Member #
    Liked
    394 times

1977 Izhevsk Barrel Markings

Here are three views of a 1977 Izhevsk barrel assembly showing the Y-in-circle on right and the number perpendicular to the bore plus the journal sizes in line with the bore.

CIz1977BarrelLeft.jpgCIz1977BarrelRight.jpgCIZ1977BarrelTop.jpg

So this appears to be consistent across the years for Izhevsk barrels.

MDI

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47(AngelKing)AK74 View Post
    I mentioned this in the other thread. If we could find a original barrel md 86 kit with the y, then compare it to a intrac barrel without the y. See if there is any differences in machining or anything, and if there is not, then compare it to a late 80s Russian barrel, And if the Romanians are different from the Russian in anyway will that not put a end to this theory??? Or has this already been done? I never seen a md 86 barrel to see if there was y stamps on them or not!
    Problem with your thought is that Izhevsk stopped AKM production in 1977 to the best of my knowledge, so no 1980's Russian AKM barrels.

MDI

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Off my 2009 sgl21-61 I'm going out on a limb that if your stamp looks like this it's Russian,if it's the other thicker lined stamp it's romy. Wish one of the factory workers would speak up,50+ years not a peep.

Member #
    Liked
    281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi13 View Post
    Problem with your thought is that Izhevsk stopped AKM production in 1977 to the best of my knowledge, so no 1980's Russian AKM barrels.

MDI
    Im meaning a russian 74 barrel and i say late 80s since its closer to the md 86 year and the 90s intracs.. Thats if Romanian 74 barrels have a y stamp. Im not sure if they do or not but i would think they would if wasrs are having them. If Romania was using the y stamp on their own 74 made barrels then i would imagine comparing it to a Russian around the same time period would show some differences.
    Last edited by AK47(AngelKing)AK74; 05-21-2016 at 03:27 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8384 times
    1964 romanian. Size of the circle y is roughly 3mm.

Also, I'm gonna sticky this thread so it's at the top and lock the other down with a link to this one.
    Last edited by 22many; 05-21-2016 at 11:03 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Here is my Apex Romanian virgin barrel I built on, no Russian proof marks on it, though it does have a Romanian (y). Typical Romanian style hexagon proof marks, with numbers inside, no Soviet squares, trapezoids, or diamond-letter proofs, no Cyrillic marks anywhere on it. It had an inventory number/lot number stamped on the outside of the chamber.

MPiKM-72 likes this.
    WANTED- gas tube numbered "NO 1426" ,recoil assembly numbered 1426. Any parts matching DE2226

Member #
    Liked
    1319 times
    This is a Romanian AKMS PLO kit on gunbroker right now:
    Attached Images
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    Every legitimate russian akm circle y stamp ive seen so far(excluding t1-t3's((because they were complete circles, and different style y's)) have a flat spot on the right side of the circle. Look at them, from early to late.... See posts 2, 5, 7. Im sure there will be more to come.
    Last edited by evolixsurf; 05-22-2016 at 06:20 PM.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Here is a y stamped barrel on GunJoker "Y" STAMP Virgin Barrel AK AK47 AKM AK-47 PLO PKM : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com Looks Romy to me after reading all the posts on this thread and the others. I will ask the seller and confirm.

Member #
    Liked
    276 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiepride View Post
    Here is a y stamped barrel on GunJoker "Y" STAMP Virgin Barrel AK AK47 AKM AK-47 PLO PKM : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com Looks Romy to me after reading all the posts on this thread and the others. I will ask the seller and confirm.
    I know Vlado posted a GB pic too but I think the OP wanted only original photos. Also and more importantly, I'm pretty sure there were no "virgin" PLO barrels. I think the seller is posting terms in the name (i.e. PLO and PKM) to help get hits in searches.

No comment on the seller as the OP is trying to keep this clean.
    1968roadrunner likes this.
    WTB: E. German BC 1276 (have one to trade)

Member #
    Liked
    2088 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Every legitimate russian akm circle y stamp ive seen so far(excluding t1-t3's((because they were complete circles, and different style y's)) have a flat spot on the right side of the circle. Look at them, from early to late.... See posts 2, 5, 7. Im sure there will be more to come.
    You mean the way the stamp was made correct? Thicker lines, more style?

I am noticing the character differences as well, and I always assumed the character differences were there. To me, the Romy proofs always look like a Y made with a line, the Izzy proof has a little character to it.

If the Romy G barrels had the Y's then obviously they weren't Russian.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors