Project Forging Code: Please contribute to an AKM Trunnion code database!
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Project Forging Code: Please contribute to an AKM Trunnion code database!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3019 times

Project Forging Code: Please contribute to an AKM Trunnion code database!

Guys, we would like to collect forging codes for Izhmash and Tula AKM trunnions. if you have a trunnion from one of these kits, even a loose orpan trunnion, or a trunnion in a image that doesn't even belong to you, please post the data here with the following info:

Year, Factory, Serial number with batch code, and trunnion forging code (which is located on the top of the barrel trunnion on the left side bolt lug locking cavity, right above where the serial number is stamped. Some are just numbers (Tula, usually), while some are a combination of letters and numbers (Izzy, usually).

All years are welcome and appreciated!

It should look something like this: 1971 Tula, ВГ 1234, trunnion code 5678, notes; Sportman's Guide cut barrel kit

A complete list of codes will help all of us determine how the codes are formatted, as well as what serial number batch codes ( and thus rifle kits) are early in the year, which ones are mid-year, and which ones are late in the year. maybe we can crack the remaining mysteries of how to read batch codes in relation to parts transitions.

There is also no requirement here to give us all of your serial number, if you are not comfortable doing so just put some X's in place of the digits if you like. it it's an intact rifle, or a Lo kit, or a deact, then by all means please inlcude all this. Also, any weird marks or rpofs you have found, or any other info on where ti came from, or interesting things about it you'd like to share, please don't be shy!

Above all, lets have some fun! That's why we are all here, anyway, right?

PLEASE NOTE Please do not try and translate or tranliterate the Cyrillic letters in your batch codes, , or substitute English letters on your keyboard in place of some similar looking Cyrillics, LOL! If you do not mind, just cut and paste from the below example to avoid mistakes or misunderstandings about whether you did or did not translate into English, since as an example, a B in English IS NOT a B in Cyrillic, and so on. Just cut and paste exactly what you see on your trunnion :

А Б В Г Д Е Ё Ж З И Й К Л М Н О П Р С Т У Ф Х Ц Ч Ш Щ Ъ Ы Ь Э Ю Я

Thanks, guys!
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3860 times
    Glad to participate, and thank you for your efforts, Doug. Here are 3 Izzies that are within reach, I can post some Tulas later. Should be useful data.

1. 1963 Izhevsk, ВЯ5512, T-C Д10, Euro de-act that includes a lightened/matching rear sight; source unknown
    2. 1971 Izhevsk, EЗ4313, T-C H6, PLO AKM front end that includes a cast RSB; private seller
    3. 1975 (late, 22mm) Izhevsk, 419455, T-C Ф1, PLO AKM front end that includes a milled RSB; private seller
    Last edited by AZAK; 08-27-2014 at 12:32 AM.
    Tantal likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post

A complete list of codes will help all of us determine how the codes are formatted, as well as what serial number batch codes ( and thus rifle kits) are early in the year, which ones are mid-year, and which ones are late in the year. maybe we can crack the remaining mysteries of how to read batch codes in relation to parts transitions.
    Nice Doug! Sounds like this could yield some good information. I assume deact sales are fair game? Seems like they take a picture of the feed ramp/chamber area 90% of the time, so it might yield us some of the rarer years and a large amount of examples

Ah man, I thought I was gonna take a bit of a break from doing this stuff.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    3. 1975 (late, 22mm) Izhevsk, 419455, T-C Ф1, PLO AKM front end that includes a milled RSB; private seller
    Not trying to get off topic, but you make it sound like later years of AKMs had 22mm trunnions? If so, what years did they change to that? I have a few pulled Saiga barrels I would like to find a use for.

Also, I do have a 1969 kit from Rguns, and dont know how much help it will be since I was told these were refurbs (not sure if that effects anything with dating). Either way, here it is:

1. 1969 Izhmash, ИЖ 2415, Trunnion Code Е7; Rguns kit
    Tantal likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3860 times
    Izhevsk switched from 23mm to 22mm front trunnions midstream during the 1975 production year. My impression is that all production going forward until closing of the AKM production lines was with 22mm trunnions/barrels.
    Tantal likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    Izhevsk switched from 23mm to 22mm front trunnions midstream during the 1975 production year. My impression is that all production going forward until closing of the AKM production lines was with 22mm trunnions/barrels.
    With the switch to the 22mm trunnion, did anything else change? Did it still have a standard AKM bolt and bolt carrier? Or did is change to the AK100 style bolt and bolt carrier?

Member #
    Liked
    208 times
    1. 1963 Izhmash AKMS, ЧН 2820, Г 3, PLO kit
    2. 1971 Izhmash AKM, E 32331, M7, PLO kit
    3. 1974 Izhmash, 374853, 05, Vector Arms
    Tantal likes this.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"

NRA - Life Member
    VFW - Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    1339 times
    1. 1960 Izhmash ЗШ 2662Trunnion code T33 (or 133, see pic) Euro deact rebuilt

photo (14).JPG
    Tantal, Fiorentino and Slimpic like this.

Member #
    Liked
    830 times
    1968 Tula AKM ММ 6982 - trunnion code 7531 - RGUNS kit
    1969 Tula AKM ТК 6842 - trunnion code 4834 - RGUNS kit
    1974 Tula AKM БГ 8518 - trunnion code 4745 - Gunbroker private sale trunnion did not match mostly Izhevsk kit.
    Last edited by Sunspot; 08-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Tantal likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3019 times
    Yes, sir (or ma'am), deacts and refurbished rifles are perfectly fine for this sort of database! I just hope I have time to compile it, any volunteers, hehe? I bet Mike or Robert have plenty of spare time, lol!

I really do think this is gonna help quite a bit once a very comprehensive list is established. Especially with the Tula's which don't have those wicked letter codes. I have a feeling the trunnion numbers are gonna fall pretty much into a rough numerical order within each year, discounting the standard bin mix shuffle, which won't be as bad as minor parts can be since forged trunnions are more of a JIT part. What will be interesting is if later years (which have full numerical serno's) have forging codes that follow a sequence in line with the serial numbers. I think I've noticed this before with AK47 forging codes.

Due to a lack of examples, we might only get good information ona few years, such as (obviously) 1968-69.

I'm just surprised Tula trunnion codes are not in sequences from year to year.
    Fiorentino likes this.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3019 times
    Quote Originally Posted by desi11 View Post
    With the switch to the 22mm trunnion, did anything else change? Did it still have a standard AKM bolt and bolt carrier? Or did is change to the AK100 style bolt and bolt carrier?
    They still used the same bolt group parts, more or less, with only minor features being different from what they were using right before the journal change.

The journal size was changed to create uniformity between the new AK74 and the AKM's, so the same barrel blanks and trunnions could be used for both rifles. Production of the AKM was shuttered only two years after this change, BTW.

AK-100 style parts didn't come out until over a decade later, i.e. the late 80's-early 1990's.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Yes, sir (or ma'am), deacts and refurbished rifles are perfectly fine for this sort of database! I just hope I have time to compile it, any volunteers, hehe? I bet Mike or Robert have plenty of spare time, lol!

I really do think this is gonna help quite a bit once a very comprehensive list is established. Especially with the Tula's which don't have those wicked letter codes. I have a feeling the trunnion numbers are gonna fall pretty much into a rough numerical order within each year, discounting the standard bin mix shuffle, which won't be as bad as minor parts can be since forged trunnions are more of a JIT part. What will be interesting is if later years (which have full numerical serno's) have forging codes that follow a sequence in line with the serial numbers. I think I've noticed this before with AK47 forging codes.

Due to a lack of examples, we might only get good information ona few years, such as (obviously) 1968-69.

I'm just surprised Tula trunnion codes are not in sequences from year to year.
    You know I'd be more than happy/honored to help in any way Doug, just lemme know! I've started a folder specifically for this- when I find a deact now I've just been saving the pic of the serial and batch code, I'll post what I've got so far sometime this weekend

ETA want me to start an excell document?
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 08-29-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Tantal likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    1976 Tula AKM 340857 - Trunnion code H8116 - PLO kit build bought from SSP Racing
    Tantal likes this.
    WTB: PLO kits & other rare kits...PM me if you have one to sell!

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    1968 Tula, МУ3471, ​Trunnion code: 7985 - Rguns kit
    Tantal likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3019 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    ETA want me to start an excell document?
    Only if you have time! I'd do this but Mom's back in ICU, i don't have enough time quite yet.
    K C A

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors