Ukrainian Russian Ak74M thread??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Ukrainian Russian Ak74M thread???

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    I see, well I thought it was public record these were Russian troops. Did the Russian government publicly deny they had crossed the border? Is someone actually trying to say this is just a unsanctioned, maverick group of ex-SpetsNAZ? If that truly was the goal then it's an epic fail. Maybe I'm wrong but they don't seem to be doing anything at all to camouflage the fact they are Russian military. They drove across the Russian border in current-issue Russian made military vehicles, are wearing Russian issue uniforms, are decked out with Russian equipment and carrying basically Russian-only small arms and other advanced ordnance. Some of them have been previously identified as Russian naval infantry. I doubt the local population, or anyone else on the ground there, has any doubt as to who they are.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3664 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    I see, well I thought it was public record these were Russian troops. Did the Russian government publicly deny they had crossed the border? Is someone actually trying to say this is just a unsanctioned, maverick group of ex-SpetsNAZ? If that truly was the goal then it's an epic fail. Maybe I'm wrong but they don't seem to be doing anything at all to camouflage the fact they are Russian military. They drove across the Russian border in current-issue Russian made military vehicles, are wearing Russian issue uniforms, are decked out with Russian equipment and carrying basically Russian-only small arms and other advanced ordnance. Some of them have been previously identified as Russian naval infantry. I doubt the local population, or anyone else on the ground there, has any doubt as to who they are.
    Yeah I don't know where that is coming from. I think the exact (claimed) number was 15,000 Russian troops went in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...fa7_story.html
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    No one has denied these are Russian troops. Least of all the Russians.

Here's Putin telling our President to - er, that he will not be dissuaded:
    Obama tells Putin his actions are 'clear violation' of Ukraine's sovereignty | Fox News

Now I do believe some of the "unknown gunmen" running about and causing mischief that will "warrant" Russian intervention are actually Russian Spetsnaz.

Last edited by Ol'Sarge2K; 03-02-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Sarge2K View Post
    The majority of the Crimea is Russian or Russian leaning. I've been to Sevastopol - it IS Russia for all practical purposes.

Shit, anyone over 35 or so over there grew up when the Ukraine and Russia was the same country.

The comparison to Mexican or Canadian helicopters flying here is not really valid.

I'm on the same page there.

Didn't they have to fly over Ukraine to get to Crimea from Russia? Or are they going around them? If they came from naval ships already in the Black Sea then I could see them slipping in.

The way the protests are going I would assume seeing foreign helicopters ferrying in people and gear to potentially kill you and yours or at least suppress your voices would be met with force. Even if it was just by a few people.

After all, all of Ukraine is not Crimea.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    They can take off from Stalingrad and go straight into the Crimea without overflying the Ukraine. Sochi is just right across the water from Sevastopol.

A five mile ferry ride across the Straight of Kerch, between the Crimea and Russia proper, and military vehicles are on the ground.
    Last edited by Tantal; 03-02-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot308 View Post

I'm on the same page there.

Didn't they have to fly over Ukraine to get to Crimea from Russia? Or are they going around them? If they came from naval ships already in the Black Sea then I could see them slipping in.

The way the protests are going I would assume seeing foreign helicopters ferrying in people and gear to potentially kill you and yours or at least suppress your voices would be met with force. Even if it was just by a few people.

After all, all of Ukraine is not Crimea.
    My understanding is that the Russian troops are primarily landing via ship, and being flown into the Russian bases already in the Ukraine. As you can see that can be done completely over sea.

Even if they had to go overland, the majority of the Eastern Ukraine supports Russia. Donets'k in particular is another might as well be Russia city. There were sporadic protests in the Eastern Ukraine earlier but to quote my friend in Poltova - "They were bused in neo-nazi assholes who all had western accents."
    "The badge of rank an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men." GEN Maxwell Taylor

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Sarge2K View Post
    Now I do believe some of the "unknown gunmen" running about and causing mischief that will "warrant" Russian intervention are actually Russian Spetsnaz.
    No doubt, Sarge, but I'd say probably active rather than ex-SpetsNAZ.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    At this stage of the game, it would be suicidal for the new Ukrainian President to shoot down a Russian cargo plane over the Crimea making a "routine" flight into the Black Sea Fleet base at Sevastopol, carrying a full compliment of "peace-keeping" troops.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    473 times
    It's going to be interesting for sure.

Also interesting to see is the Russians using PALS/Molle.

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Interesting. Hopefully my cheap ammo continues to come in otherwise- I'll take back the Crimea myself.

Member #
    Liked
    333 times

I feel like maybe, just maybe the Soldier on the right is female. Maybe. No Homo.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    Sarge, thanks! Guys, please keep'em coming. I don't have time to search the net for stuff like this, so your contributions are very much appreciated. The only problem is every time these Russian incursions make headlines I start getting "web gear fever" again, haha.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Sarge, thanks! Guys, please keep'em coming. I don't have time to search the net for stuff like this, so your contributions are very much appreciated. The only problem is every time these Russian incursions make headlines I start getting "web gear fever" again, haha.
    Ha! I've never had that fever, but I agree - I'm starting to feel that compulsion. Not that I want to play Russian Soldier, but damn that gear looks cool as a backdrop to the AK-74M.

-Thirtycal
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3040 times
    Yeah, me too, i always tried to steer clear of that part of the hobby, I always asked myself why and where would i wear that stuff, or what would I use it for? Plus I was already spending too much money on rifles and gun parts, with nowhere to put all of it, so it was just way easier to frown on that sort of investment and limit my personal acquisitions of AK accessories to more utilitarian things like mag pouches, drop cases, slings and bayonets.

Then, about fifteen years ago, a friend talked me into trading an optic for his entire Afghan airborne field gear/field uniform collection. I took it in as a favor, figuring I'd part it out and sell it off when the right buyers came along, but after seeing it (and yes, trying everything on), I was seriously hooked. Needless to say, I found room for it and now that kit makes up the most interesting and possibly authentic part of my collection. Since that time, I have not bene able to add much to this, but i did put together a nice date correct Gorka/BVD/6B4 set applicable to the late Afghan War/1st Chechen/Dagestan time period. Limited funds and space rule out much modern era stuff, at least not until I win the lottery.

It is a very interesting and wildly popular collector area, probably more widespread than even AK collecting. I'm very envious of some of the cool uniform collections members here have posted up in the past.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I agree with you Tantal, I keep checking this thread to see more pics of their Kits and I have small collection I would like to build up too!
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

"Fighting in the rain sucks!"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors