Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: Soviet Wood Sets Gallery

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times

Soviet Wood Sets Gallery

These images used to be on my website, but when the Russian server those older pages were hosted on went down I lost those pages. I thought about recreating them, but decided to post them here first.I had a request for them tonight, so I thought I'd post them here so others can also use them for reference.

All of the finishes are original Soviet era, and many of the sets are military take-offs that came off the same exact parent rifle. A few are simply mated for color and era correctness, while one or two sets are just mated for color and similarity of wood materials and might even have a part from another factory mixed in. There's at least one unknown factory enigmatic looking buttstock here, can you find it? Must be a replacement style, I guess, but the set is Soviet era and has a very nice looking finish none the less.

Anyway, if you can use these pictures for your private research, be my guest. I also welcome others to post images of wood sets they own, or have owned, or ask questions or post comments on sets they see here.

IZHMASH AK:

IZHMASH AKM:

Mixed AKM stocks to show color variations:

Mixed sets:

izzy:

TULA AKM:

Attached Images
    Last edited by Tantal; 02-22-2014 at 05:01 AM.
    AZG, otus, Ol'Sarge2K and 12 others like this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    459 times
    Oh my goodness Doug..... How do you not sleep with them at night..... I'm going to have to conveince my wife to take our honeymoon to your place... She keeps telling me she wants to go see a redwood forest for our honeymoon.... I have a redwood suprise for her...hehe

Doug, are any of these pieces for sale or is this just up for reference???

You have to be the foremost Soviet laminate collector in America... If not one of the top Kalashnikov historian/advisor... Much envy sir!!!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Thanks, but I'm afraid almost all of this stuff is sold, it's been gone for years. A few members here have some of it, I'm sure. this is just for reference, i'm not trying to sell anything or brag about my collection, as I don't have any of it anymore. I was just asked by somebody why it was not on my website anymore, so I posted it here.

BTW, you should follow your wife's advice. The redwoods in Northern California are super cool. I was there around Novato for a couple of months, years ago, and it's awesome! I wish I lived someplace like Oregon or Washington, where those vampires live, hehe. it's just my style, lots of trees and lots of rain. On a cliff by the coast would be good to go. I love those giant trees. Around here it's a barren wasteland in comparison. I always tell people the only reason the town I live in is even here must be because a wagon wheel broke down back in the 1800's and they couldnt find a tree big enough to get the wood to fix it, hehe.
    K C A

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Thanks, but I'm afraid almost all of this stuff is sold, it's been gone for years. A few members here have some of it, I'm sure. this is just for reference, i'm not trying to sell anything or brag about my collection, as I don't have any of it anymore. I was just asked by somebody why it was not on my website anymore, so I posted it here.

BTW, you should follow your wife's advice. The redwoods in Northern California are super cool. I was there around Novato for a couple of months, years ago, and it's awesome! I wish I lived someplace like Oregon or Washington, where those vampires live, hehe. it's just my style, lots of trees and lots of rain. On a cliff by the coast would be good to go. I love those giant trees. Around here it's a barren wasteland in comparison. I always tell people the only reason the town I live in is even here must be because a wagon wheel broke down back in the 1800's and they couldnt find a tree big enough to get the wood to fix it, hehe.
    I think I have a few of those pieces, but it's so long ago I am not sure
    "The lethality of the 7.62x39mm cartridge is beyond question" - Edward C. Ezell

Malysh

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Wow, Uncle Mike!
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Gorgeous. I'll never be able to figure out which one is the redheaded step-child though.

Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    oh how i miss these pics!
    Contact for build services
    01/03 FFL/SOT

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    There's at least one unknown factory enigmatic looking buttstock here, can you find it? Must be a replacement style, I guess, but the set is Soviet era and has a very nice looking finish none the less.

Thanks for posting the images! Really digging all those "boat paddle" stocks! What a cool look. Man, you have/have owned a metric s#it ton of some of the coolest pieces ever! And the wherewithall to take nice pics while you had them in hand! Sticky please, mods!

The second one from the right has my vote for unknown factory enigmatic. Looks fat at the grip area, really flat sides along the length and wrist pin centered. And the pin over the swivel looks a little forward vs the rest. Nice coloration!

Robert
    Last edited by tanakasan; 02-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    WTB/WTT

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Thanks, guys.

Rob, that one is certainly a rare stock, but not an enigma. It's an early pattern Izhevsk. You nailed the identifying characteristics of that pattern quite easily with your eagle -eyes!
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Wow now that's a thread! And should be a sticky obviously. Let's see if the mod's will make that happen.

Thanks for keeping the Russian section going with new content Tantal (and others).

-Thirtycal
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    And then this one is my second choice...odd grain pattern, but looks like a proof-a partial circle-on it. HG's are Tula (I need to find one just like that!) Early Tula stock or enigma?

Robert

corpsman5 likes this.
    WTB/WTT

Member #
    Sage (East side of the Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County, Southern California
    Liked
    356 times

Very early AKM stock

This one came with my 1970 Tula kit - I had it with my 1970 Izhevsk kit in the photos of that kit posted here, but for now it's back with the '70 Tula until I can get some better identification on it. This one has trunnion and rear receiver fragement from the rifle it was on - it's on there real tight and defies all efforts to remove it from the stock.

Looking at Stottman's AK photos and what ever other photos of original early AKM's I can find, it seems that this style stock was used on 1960 and '61 AKM's, but was replaced by the next type in either late 1961 or sometime in 1962.

The distinctive features of this stock are the location of the reinforcing pins and the rear sling swivel.

The front reinforcing pin is centered in the wrist, in the subsequent pattern stock the pin is higher up. The rear most lower pin in the toe is up high, close to the front toe pin, and in straight line with it, instead of down in the toe close to the buttplate like the later stocks. And the upper rear pin in the heel is farther forward than in the later stocks, which have this pin closer to the buttplate. Actually, looking at the group of 5 stocks in one of the photos Tantal posted, it seems that there is a transitional stock between these 2 versions, that has the wrist crosspin centered like the earliest stocks, but has the pins in the toe and heel in the later postion.

The sling swivel on the early stock has the screws closer together and the swivel bale sits lower in the base, necessitating a clearance groove in the stock for the bale. The later stocks have the screws further apart and the swivel bale sits up higher so the clearance notch in the stock isn't needed. Without relocating the holes, you can not use an early swivel in a late stock or vice versa. Interestingly Romanian AKM stocks follow the same pattern, with the earliest ones having the same pin placement and swivel as the earliest Soviet stocks..... I wonder if the Romanians copied the earlier Soviet stock design in 1963 or whenever they first started making AKM's because this is what they had from the Soviets, or if the earliest Romanian stocks might be Soviet supplied items like some of the Cyrillic marked Soviet AKM barrels that came out of Romania.

On the upper rear left of the cut receiver attached to this stock there is a number 7 stamped into the metal, and a letter K stamped in the wood to the right of the pin in the wrist. On the right side of the stock there is a Soviet [/] boxed slash inspection/refurb mark, and above it are a Cyrillic "B" (which translates to Latin alphabet V) and a little triangle with what looks like a Cyrillic "n" (translates to our L) in it. On the bottom of the wrist there are two Cyrillic "C"'s, which translate to our "S". On the top of the stock there is an undecipherable mark on top of the wrist and 2 more further back on top of the comb.

The trunnion is the "donut hole" style with a single small hexagon proof with a number or letter in it, in front of the rear screw on the tang
    Last edited by Marcus; 02-22-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Sage (East side of the Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County, Southern California
    Liked
    356 times
    More early stock photos

Member #
    Liked
    356 times
    And a few more.
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    345 times
    This stock is an Izzy and had the milled donut hole RT with a partial hex proof, as yours does. Definitely an Izzy RT. It has the numeral 3 in the same spot. Based on what you said, I believe my stock is the later model since it has the wider spacing of the lower rear pins and an offset wrist pin.

Robert

WTB/WTT

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors