Soviet Wood Sets Gallery - Page 3
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: Soviet Wood Sets Gallery

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    you are correct I still have the early 70's Tula set you spoke of earlier....it is THE SET of TULA Wood from the Tantal Website....still not mounted, still as it was the day I received it from you....ajs
    What the fuck kind of shit is this ?!?!?!?!?!?
    Are you kidding me? This is most probably the worst violation of marketplace rules I have seen

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m03 View Post
    Here are my two early hardwood grips. I wish I had some better condition pieces to take reference pictures of, but they are what they are. Quality Control stamps are visible on the bottom of both grips:
    Wow, super nice condition hard to find grips. Even nicer photography, man! Thank you very much for the cool additions. Every detail can be evaluated and studied. If only they could talk, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Doug, I'll do one even better- I'll trade my wife for some of those stock sets. LOL
    Be very careful, I might take you up on that, this lonely old man is always looking for any form of female companionship, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by idontgetthis View Post
    you are correct I still have the early 70's Tula set you spoke of earlier....it is THE SET of TULA Wood from the Tantal Website....still not mounted, still as it was the day I received it from you....ajs
    AJ, since you have not found a need for it for so many years, I don't think it will bother you too much to sell it back to me.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    The only stocksets I love more than brand new Soviet ones.... are battle worn Soviet ones

I took my AKSU to the range to fire it for the first time since the testfire. I'm building a second one as a safe queen so I can beat the shit outta this one! Goal is a natural BFPU look. Here's the result on the HG's after 600 rounds, approximately 2/3rds of which was very rapid fire (missing from pictures is my burnt hands)

You can see in the palm swell how it already started to bubble, and on the raised part + vents where my hand was.. the finish actually came off:

(couldn't believe how much paint came off the muzzle too!)

The other side had the sling flush to it, so it turned black on the lower (can't get the buildup off and to be honest I don't really even want to, looks cool!) and the finish actually stripped off the upper

Can't wait to see them 2,000 rounds from now. This honestly is one of my favorite aspects to Soviet Wood
    MPiKM-72, Tulaaks-74u and Levi5.45 like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1053 times
    Well I stayed in tonight and got the chance to take a pic of the primo mint hardwood t2 razor checkered pistol grip that I luckily came upon. I actually have this on a t2 that is a shooter, crazy, I know... But it just fits the rifle so well... . M03's post guilted me into it... as bad as that sounds.

I think its important to note that I have seen lots of t2 and t3 grips with proofs on the ferrule, mostly in the front trigger guard recess, just above that #2 that you see in the wood on the trigger guard recess in the above picture. Also ive seen many proofs on the top side that mates with the receiver. On my example above I didnt see any in either of these areas with the naked eye, however, this is most definitely legit, and in very, very good shape.
    Last edited by evolixsurf; 03-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    m03, Sunspot, Tantal and 1 others like this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    John, man, that's gorgeous! totally legit. I tike the way it has a sort of curved cross-section. Looks very comfortable. These grips with the lightly engraved lines instead of regular deep checkering look cool as heck. Almost look stylized in nature.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Here's two sets of Tula handguards out in the sun, one early (circa '69), and one late (circa '74 pattern). you can see how the colors kinda changed over time.

K C A

Member #
    Liked
    1752 times

Last edited by Bunker9939; 05-25-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Tantal, Sunspot, AKMaadi and 1 others like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Back to top.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Happy to report I've got another new set to add-

Bought this way back in 2008 from I think Rusmilitary, but possibly Five Four Five... back when the stocksets available were just incredible. I ended up trading this set to Kslay88 because I was much more obsessed with finding a dark Tula set. Regretted it ever since, even after finding a beautiful Tula set! Fortunately though I had a handgun he really wanted so we did a trade and this set is back in my possession!

The neat thing is it is one of those sets that the dark lines and the light lines reverse depending on the light. So the parts that look dark in the images actually turn much lighter, vice versa. Love Soviet wood...

Forgive the shitty pics, I'm confident the bottle of ammonia will demonstrate I'm certainly no Doug or Stottman haha

I see the term "Russian Red" used on just about every refinish... but this gentlemen, this is Russian Red in my book
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 10-13-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    AKMaadi, Tantal, MPiKM-72 and 2 others like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    There are a lot of great pictures in this thread to cover a wide range of production. When is the "Soviet Polymer Sets Gallery" going to open? It might not be as exciting as the wood sets, but there are still plenty of variations in the timeline of both wood and polymer I have not figured out yet! I am, however, partial to plum.

I have been trying to identify the furniture from several rguns kits. I worry that some of it is replacement wood or that components have been reworked to the extent that I cannot get a good read off of them. I didn't have good lighting the morning I took the pictures, but here is an example of the variety of stocks that are coming with the rguns kits:

I tried to interpret their origins in my thread here: https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-...ood-metal.html, but I don't know how well I did with my untrained eyes!

Here is another view of the stock I suspected might be from Tula in the mockup of the Izhevsk kit I bought from rguns a few years ago. It is the leftmost stock in the above photo.

pp

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I snapped a few quick pictures before work of the piles-of-parts that are my rguns kits. They'll probably stay like this for a while until I can get my new shop together.

Here are a couple more shots of the suspected Tula buttstock that came with my '69 Izhevsk rguns kit ordered a few years ago. Neat looking (Izhevsk?) LHG with matte finish - unfortunately none of the LHGs have intact numbers. What are some tricks to identifying upper handguards?

The photos below are from the recently purchased rguns kits numbered 2-5 in my earlier post. They show an example of the wide variety of wood that has been coming with these kits.

Kit 2 - very rounded, side swivel - later replacement? Rounded Tula LHG?

Kit 3 - early Izhevsk? - vertically centered wrist pin; forward position of heel pins. Not sure about the LHG, rounded but with very sharp top corners.

Kits 4 (top) and 5 (bottom) - perhaps mid-production Izhevsk, although kit 5 does seem to have a sharper transition from the wrist to the comb. Not sure about these LHGs either, note forward spring/spacer on kit 4.

Do the experts agree with this assessment? I am not very confident about my furniture identification.

pp
    gene13 and Fiorentino like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Well I stayed in tonight and got the chance to take a pic of the primo mint hardwood t2 razor checkered pistol grip that I luckily came upon. I actually have this on a t2 that is a shooter, crazy, I know... But it just fits the rifle so well... . M03's post guilted me into it... as bad as that sounds.
    Damn this site's software, John! It won't let me hit the like button twice, lol!
    evolixsurf likes this.
    K C A

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Here is my t2 grip it has proofs all over it
    Attached Images
    Fiorentino and evolixsurf like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3590 times
    Man that's a sweet grip man, I love the honest wear, the coloring, proofs, and the checkering on that one. Is it weird that my favorite thing about the AK-47's is the insane amount of proofs every friggin part has?

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    Hey thanks brother I love early russian stuff

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors