Soviet Wood Sets Gallery - Page 2
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree532Likes

Thread: Soviet Wood Sets Gallery

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    Thanks for all the great additions and comments, guys! Rob, you are correct, that's the one! It's exactly what an early Tula stock would look like, except it has a side swivel. Very nice looking, but very odd. I assume it's a replacement pattern made from an older wood blank? The thing that stumps me is it has the nicest factory looking finish on it, but I guess many did.

The site would only allow me to load a maximum of 25 images in one post, so I'm having to segment these images in batches. Here's the second batch. I hope to post a few 5,45mm series wood sets soon.

Anyway, first up is another fairly early take-off assembly line Izzy stock, for comparison, a little later than the one you noticed above, Rob, as it has regular style contours, but it also has the early pin placement you already mentioned.

One of my favorite light blonde colored Izzy factory finish sets, style circa 1970-71:

Original take-off 1977 Izzy set, from a PLO kit;

Four sets of real deal PLO take-off 1977 Izzy AKMS wood sets;

here's two more sets of tula wood I found images of. First up is this nice dark set I wish I still had, I could sure use it now! BTW, Ithink that upper is an Izzy but it still looks nice. Lower is Tula. Buttstock is a Tula 1970-72 pattern.

And one more, a set of 1969 Tula kit wood. Note how most 1969 Tula stocks don't have such a crazy deep (or sharply cornered) cheek weld/wrist cut like you see on the later bottom swivels stocks, for instance like the one you see in the image above, which makes a good comparison of what I'm describing.

Last edited by Tantal; 02-23-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    evolixsurf, jason4473 and BDPresto like this.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    This one came with my 1970 Tula kit - I had it with my 1970 Izhevsk kit in the photos of that kit posted here, but for now it's back with the '70 Tula until I can get some better identification on it. This one has trunnion and rear receiver fragement from the rifle it was on - it's on there real tight and defies all efforts to remove it from the stock.

Looking at Stottman's AK photos and what ever other photos of original early AKM's I can find, it seems that this style stock was used on 1960 and '61 AKM's, but was replaced by the next type in either late 1961 or sometime in 1962.

The distinctive features of this stock are the location of the reinforcing pins and the rear sling swivel.
    Marcus, that's a real nice early stock, it's a testament to the amount of reutilization that goes on in these refurbishment programs. It would be cool to have the old rifle that this stock came off of. Those are hard to come by when you are actually needing to find one, especially one that's line correct like yours. Most of the stocks with the early pin patterns are some sort of Ukrainian replacement style with odd shapes and goofy finishes. Thanks for sharing these images with us. Please post any other wood shots you might have available.

BTW, I thought you said you were a poor photographer? These images (and the ones of the milled Tula LHGR) are excellent. I think it's just the lighting. When I have good lighting my images come out good, but if I have poor lighting, or have to depend on a flash, then forget about it. It's like two different peiople using two different grades of camera took them. IMO these modern digitals go a long ways towards helping even a novice photographer take close to professional looking images, as long as the lighting is up to standards. I'm not talking about the cheapest camera phones, though. Those don't seem to have lenses large enough to let in enough light, unless things are very well lit.

I actually bought a $1500 Nikon two years ago to do magazine article images, but I rely on a $200 Canon pocket camera for most parts shots as it does a better job on macro settings due to the lens, and it's more convenient and faster to drag out than that big Nikon. Plus, I just can't afford to spend another $1K+ on a Nikon macro lens I'd need to upgrade.
    K C A

m03

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    Early Type-2 "fatboy" stocks. These are wider and the rear section is taller in comparison to later Type-2 stocks. They also use a different butt-plate that (as far as I know) is unique to the fatboy style stocks:

Last edited by m03; 02-23-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    Tantal likes this.
    WTB: PO3.5x21p with 7.62 reticle

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    m03, thanks for the post, those are money in the bank! Actually better than money in the bank, these days anyway!

That's the kind of wood that makes a man build a whole rifle around, if he can find the other stuff to do it. Judging by these stocks, i bet you have!
    K C A

m03

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    That's the kind of wood that makes a man build a whole rifle around, if he can find the other stuff to do it. Judging by these stocks, i bet you have!
    Thanks for the compliments. The one with medium wear is attached to a '52 reweld, the one with the most wear is attached to the stub of a kit that I'm currently trying to complete, and the nicest one is being held in reserve

Member #
    Liked
    344 times
    Wow, m03, that's some rare air there! Thanks for posting what I can only dream of ever owning! Nice to see survivors!

Robert
    Last edited by tanakasan; 02-24-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    WTB/WTT

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    These were beautiful. The light grain in the laminate would sparkle like gold in the sun

img0849e.jpg
    BDPresto likes this.
    If I had to go to a planet... an unknown planet, and I was allowed to take one firearm, it would be an AK-47. When Western civilization melts down, I want an AK-47.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    Very nice!
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3004 times
    Original finish AK-74 wood examples:

Rubber buttplate circa 1977:

evolixsurf and BDPresto like this.
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3464 times
    Holy crap that -74 wood is gorgeous. I love dark -74 wood. Am I the only one who could literally smell the wood straight from this thread????

I've never gotten a picture that shows what the wood looks like in person, but here's some attempts -

Tantal, MPiKM-72 and BDPresto like this.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    Holy crap that -74 wood is gorgeous. I love dark -74 wood. Am I the only one who could literally smell the wood straight from this thread????

I've never gotten a picture that shows what the wood looks like in person, but here's some attempts -

Whew just got a little dizzy. Congrats that wood is just ridiculously gorgeous.Which year is that? Mind giving more info about the kit?
    Tantal and CalRon like this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3464 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtel View Post
    Whew just got a little dizzy. Congrats that wood is just ridiculously gorgeous.Which year is that? Mind giving more info about the kit?
    Of course! It's an all matching PLO.......................................... in my dreams

It's one of the mismatched kits. The trunnion is Tula 1968, but unfortunately the 4 matching parts are Izzy along with the barrel components. So far I've got the trunnion, trigger guard, and rear trunnion riveted into a 74u receiver, but I'm holding out for maybe finding some more Tula parts to swap out the Izzy ones. Hopefully I'll find one of those partial matching kits that's Tula someday. I plan on shooting the hell out of her though so in the end I'm sure I'll be happy. Thanks for the complement, the wood is my favorite I own.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Ha, barreled PLOs may be authentic but Iíve never seen one (not that Iíve seen many) in as good condition or with wood like your mixmaster. I have one of those Rguns Ď69 AKM kits and one of their í83 -74s. Both great looking wood (in fact the í83 wood is ) but nothing like yours. Good luck with that build.

m03

Member #
    Liked
    1250 times
    Here are my two early hardwood grips. I wish I had some better condition pieces to take reference pictures of, but they are what they are. Quality Control stamps are visible on the bottom of both grips:

Last edited by m03; 03-09-2014 at 01:49 AM.
    evolixsurf and Tantal like this.

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKMaadi View Post
    Oh my goodness Doug..... How do you not sleep with them at night..... I'm going to have to conveince my wife to take our honeymoon to your place... She keeps telling me she wants to go see a redwood forest for our honeymoon.... I have a redwood suprise for her...hehe

Doug, are any of these pieces for sale or is this just up for reference???

You have to be the foremost Soviet laminate collector in America... If not one of the top Kalashnikov historian/advisor... Much envy sir!!!

Doug, I'll do one even better- I'll trade my wife for some of those stock sets. LOL

BDPresto likes this.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors