1982 Izzy AKS-74 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: 1982 Izzy AKS-74

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Fio, that is some sexy wood on that kit-awesome score. Somebody went to town on the white out on the serial numbers. She have all the trigger components as well? Look forward to this one being built.

Mandalorian94 likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    Fio, that is some sexy wood on that kit-awesome score. Somebody went to town on the white out on the serial numbers. She have all the trigger components as well? Look forward to this one being built.
    Wow, I always thought it was cool when guys got the bandage/tourniquets/blue tape on their builds, but yours takes the cake. Really rounds out the BFPU look perfectly! I almost bought some from russiansurplus, but I think I'll wait until my AKSU gets well used/beat up

Yeah, the kit is complete. Luckily everything is correct, except one or two parts of the FCG. Interestingly, I now have three distinct triggers that came with rguns kits. I thought there was only two types.

(Had the gun outside for awhile, warm room + condensation is why it looks wet). I thought the one on my krink was Tula, but from what I'm reading it is definitely the '83 izzy. The uninstalled one has the characteristic Tula circle, so I'm going to swap them. The third one (not pictured) is an izzy trigger that has the mold numbers, which I'm guessing now is only for the '88. At first I thought maybe they were just using different proofs that day, but the two triggers have distinctly different shapes. I'll need to swap the '88 one with mold numbers for another AKSU one.

Any chance your '82 had the original trigger group? I'd be curious to confirm this stuff...
    Last edited by Fiorentino; 12-17-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: fixing image
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Weird about your trigger groups...maybe they got swapped on accident at rguns lol.

As far as I know, the trigger with the 82 is as it came from Europe. There not really any major markings on the parts but there are some proofs-ill have to get some pics for ya.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado View Post
    Weird about your trigger groups...maybe they got swapped on accident at rguns lol.

As far as I know, the trigger with the 82 is as it came from Europe. There not really any major markings on the parts but there are some proofs-ill have to get some pics for ya.
    That would be amazing, thanks!

Unfortunately when rguns brought in the '83/'88 izzy kits and the '86 Tulas, a fair amount parts were given randomly with each kit. Trigger guards, grips, and trigger groups were mixed up between the 3 of them, and several small parts (HG retainer, cleaning rod, etc) between the 83's and 88's that were interchangeable, but not correct to those of us nutjobs that care that much about authenticity.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    Getting a good BFPU look is always hard...I've complimented SSP a few times on how authentic the paint jobs look. She is a beautiful rifle no doubt..

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
    That would be amazing, thanks!

Unfortunately when rguns brought in the '83/'88 izzy kits and the '86 Tulas, a fair amount parts were given randomly with each kit. Trigger guards, grips, and trigger groups were mixed up between the 3 of them, and several small parts (HG retainer, cleaning rod, etc) between the 83's and 88's that were interchangeable, but not correct to those of us nutjobs that care that much about authenticity.
    Yeah, that's a shame. Looks like my 1988 kit has the wrong trigger parts as well (about to post some pics to my other thread), have a look.

Here are the 1982 proofs:

disconnector

rate retarder

hammer

top o' trunnion

Fiorentino likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Very nice rifle man!
    Vlado likes this.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Thanks alot for the pictures. Looks like my conclusions are wrong. Here's a pic of the three different triggers I got with my rguns kits-

I'm confident that the one on the left, and the installed one (middle) are Izhmash. They have the same shape, and Izzy proofs. I'm also confident that the one on the right is Tula, based on the circle proof, unique design compared to the other two, and the finish.

I had assumed that the one with the mold numbers was for the '88, and the one I had installed (middle) was for the '83. Can any experts chime in on this?

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Maybe somebody can chime in on this trigger dilemma...please

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Sadly, none of the AKS-74 kits I have owned that originated with Rob had their original trigger sets. The ones with the '82 appear to be Tula to me, at least all but the rate reducer.
    Last edited by Tantal; 12-23-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantal View Post
    Sadly, none of the AKS-74 kits I have owned that originated with Rob had their original trigger sets. The ones with the '82 appear to be Tula to me, at least all but the rate reducer.
    That's too bad. Any guidance on these 3 that came from rguns Doug? Vlado and I were trying to work out a trade with a different trigger group of his, but are having a hard time figuring out which goes to to what definitively. I'm guessing the one on the right with the circle proof is Tula AKSU, but I'm not so sure if the installed one with the triangle proof and the one on the left with the mold numbers goes to the '88 or '83 Izzy.

Too bad rguns put the FCG's together very randomly. The proofs help on some of the parts though for sure.

Last edited by Fiorentino; 12-24-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    I'm not so sure if the installed one with the triangle proof and the one on the left with the mold numbers goes to the '88 or '83 Izzy.
    Mike, I pretty much need to see both sides of all your levers, but the one with the triangle proof is a Tula trigger IMHO. Izhevsk never stamped metal parts with triangles, not during the era we are studying. They used a much smaller diamond. A large-sized triangle is a dead give-away for Tula arsenal parts. Diamonds almost always mean Izhevsk or Molot, since tula almost never used them. Large triangles plus diamonds means Polish, hehe.

These RGuns triggers are pretty easy to figure. The Tula ones have big triangles and sometimes additional circular proofs on them, the Izzy ones always have a singular small-sized diamond on the right and large, fairly easy to read mold numbers on the left. Low mold numbers most likely came off of '83's (but can also be '88's), while higher mold numbers are definitely just from the '88's.

The Tula triggers sometimes have very vague, almost unreadable mold numbers on the left side of the trigger lever, or more commonly, none visible at all. They also almost always have a large circular mold ejector marking on the left hand side of the main sear hook. On an Izzy trigger, you either can't see the ejector mark at all, or it's super vague, i.e. jewelers loupe vague. The Izzy parts look almost blasted with a textured smoother surface, while the Tula sets have more distinctive machining marks, file marks, etc. all over them.

Most of this information transfers to the other parts as well, not just triggers. There are lots of other clues, but this should be enough for the average person to ID a majority of parts without introducing minor design variations that are hard to clearly describe and define without images, or have more to do with timeline than factories.

I'll try to post some images soon.

Doug

Here's some older images i dug up in the mean time:

Izzy left, Tula right:

Tula left, izzy right:

izzy left, Tula right:

Izzy left, Tula right:
    Last edited by Tantal; 12-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    "...a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist!"
    K C A

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    3593 times
    Doug, thanks for taking the time to write all that up. I really wish we had a batman signal for your guidance when we get stuck, haha. Maybe add a Tantal to that!

Your explanation makes much more sense to me now that I look over my sets. The two unistalled ones you identified as Izzy are both an extremely similar pattern and clearly unique from my 3rd one you identified as Tula.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    Doug, the Krauts dectivated the trigger group by welding it all together so thats why you did not get them. Made demil fun.

Member #
    Liked
    1318 times
    Ouch! Too bad about the trigger groups, guess that explains part of the dilemma. Thank you for the info Stottman.

Tantal, what is that odd looking rate reducer on your Tula FCG example?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors