How would you complete this 1951 T2? (& random pics & ?'s)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By supervillain

Thread: How would you complete this 1951 T2? (& random pics & ?'s)

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

How would you complete this 1951 T2? (& random pics & ?'s)

So I bought a 1952 T2 kit on GB last week and (as I always do when a guy has one cool thing to sell, there's always something else) scored this partial 1951 dated kit. The #'s match on the front stub and heavy style top cover only. The carrier is from a milled EG. I always try to keep kits that have real history together the way I got them but since this one is pretty much a clean slate I want to try and put it back to the way it may have originally been built/issued.

Here are my thoughts and hopefully some of the hardcore Russian guys will chime in with their opinions on how this thing should end up.

I'm thinking since it came with a T1 selector and 1951 would have been a transitional year from the T1, would this kit be correct if it had the early bolt and carrier with fluted piston, 9:00 gas tube and hardwood furniture? What I just mentioned is the way I'd like to have this thing eventually set up. It is odd that this kit is dated 1951 and it has the T2 gas block while the 1952 in the same pic has the a T1 gas block?

If the fluted piston carrier, T1 gas tube and hardwood furniture is correct how hard are those parts to find and does anyone know where I might find them?

Since I had some of my other kits out and was taking pics I figured I'd post these too so...here ya go...

The pics of the top covers above are for FredieUSA. The top cover in the center is a T3, the one on the left belongs to the 52 kit and is matching to the front stub and is the heavier T1/T2 cover. The one on the right is from the 51 and is also matching to the front stub and is the heavier T1/T2 type.

Thanks in advance for the input guys.
    romaniang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Re: How would you complete this 1951 T2? (& random pics &

Thanks for the pics. They are just super. You got a nice find there.. I just have not seen that many 1952 and 1953 marked kits out there.

Nice collection of all three milled selectors!!

i believe that the rear stubs on most kits were mixed (not that it really matters). In this thread (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=158434) you will see that Cobra has all the wider/larger grip nuts, which clearly belong on earlier rifles.

I will be changing the chart below for the heavy top cover to reflect 1952 instead of 1951. Looking at the numbers stamped, I feel certain that they are original and not stamped later on. (however I have seen a pretty convincing T3 top cover matched to a 1951 receiver)

The fluted pistons do show up. If you choose to switch out the smooth shaft with Matt/Turbothis fluted pistons (after it is chromed), it will be pretty hard to distinguish, if at all possible. I have gone that route and it also adds another the cursed 922r part.
    ?WTSell or Trade: My Russian Type 2 Fat Boy Stocks for ..?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

You are missing the all matching 1954 in your line up bud. i just figured out that you are the same gentleman from the other thread. I am known to mix up names and numbers lol
    ?WTSell or Trade: My Russian Type 2 Fat Boy Stocks for ..?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Nice score! I think you have it right on how to build it. It looks like both rifles have t1 FSBs as well right?
    WTB type 1 kit, pm me your crazy money price

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by 65cobra
    Nice score! I think you have it right on how to build it. It looks like both rifles have t1 FSBs as well right?
    Thanks Cobra.

After looking around here on the forum I remembered these pics that Templar posted with a couple of T2's his buddy found in Iraq. These pretty much answered all of my questions regarding how these were originally built.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors