Classicarms Romanian HMG "G Kit" - Review with pic
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Classicarms Romanian HMG "G Kit" - Review with pic

ok, i ordered my HMG rifle last friday and recieved it last night (thursday). It came in a long brown box, wrapped in bubble wrap. The two magazines wer COATED with oil and wrapped in newspaper in the box as well.

for those who dont know already, classicarms has been having Heavy Metal Guns assemble G-code romanian rifles for them on Nodakspud US receivers. they chop off the front lower grip on the handguard and re-finish it to look like the classic AK handguard.

This specific rifle came from a shipment that they just got in on monday of this week. I think they have improved their build quality and addressed a few issues tha have been coming up with these rifles. some people had reported rivet work that looked smashed and cracked but mine is perfect. there is no rust to be found anywhere on the gun.

the wood is mediocre... i dont like the bulge that the chopping of teh lower handguard left but if you didnt know this backstory and this was your first AK, you would never know... ive seen some other rifles of theirs where the chop-job was much smoother.... i will be replacing the furniture with new stuff from K-var anyways... the finish is pretty good, allthough the stock doesnt match the handguards at all and is way darker. also, it seems as if they had tried to remove the black strip from the back of the buttstock that is an indicator that it was a civil guard rifle. there is still faint remnants of the black line....

the handguards and stock are nice and tight with no play or rattle at all.

the nodakspud receiver is very good and has a nice black finish to it. the top cover of the gun does not match this finish if you look closely but a can of brownells alumahyde II and some time in the sun will make this all better!!! the rest of the finish elsewhere, like the barrel and front areas is flawless and black as black can be. the receiver is REALLY tight and hard to get a magazine into, but i find this good as my mags dont wobble at all... i may later open it up a milimeter or so with a file or dremel.

it does have a tapco muzzle break installed and it is not welded so it can be adjusted for right or left hand shooters.

the tapco G2 trigger is also installed and functions perfect. there have been MANY reports, internet-wide about the problems that one might encounter while using the tapco g2 single-hook trigger with the nodakspud nds-3 receiver but a fix HAS been found from this and now either nodak or classicarms is modifying their hammers with a little beveled edge to stop the "hammer-follow" problem that is being talked about everywhere. I believe all of their new orders are going out with the fix already done. I havent had any range time with the gun yet, but ive dry fired it numerous times and dont seem to see any problems. if you still have no idea what im talking about, see here: http://nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm

the magazines it came with were in fair condition externally but work like a champ. im assuming these are the romanian used magazines that are for sale from them.

i would definitely recommend this gun to anyone looking to get their first AK, although dont be expecting a safe queen, beauty contest winner. this is definitely a shooter.

pictures:

shade

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    not to shabby.looks like they had to drill out the barrel pin.those handgaurds are haggard.it looks like it has a beer gut.if my sar1 sells this weekend,i'll be ordering an aes10b from classic.my romy g had the lower hg cut but came out nice->
    "One click down for automatic.Two clicks down for semi.Mikhail Kalashnikov was not a man to mess around." The Punisher

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    what do you mean by drill out the barrel pin? whats it supposed to look like?

shade

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeone
    what do you mean by drill out the barrel pin? whats it supposed to look like?

shade
    He's referring to this gap. It looks like they drilled out the barrel pin and did a sloppy job of it too. I'd suggest checking the headspace on that rifle before I considered firing any rounds through it. BTW, I just noticed that the serial numbers on the bolt carrier don't match the numbers on the front trunion either. Do the numbers on the bolt match the the numbers on the front trunion? If not, that's another reason to check the headspace before firing it. I hate to sound overly critical of your purchase but that build looks a little shoddy to me.

Compare that to this....

it does have a tapco muzzle break installed and it is not welded so it can be adjusted for right or left hand shooters.
    ¿Que?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapeo1
    ¿Que?
    My sentiments exactly! Adjusted how?
    What is the essence of America? Finding and maintaining that perfect balance between freedom "to" and freedom "from." ~Marilyn vos Savant

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    sorry for being such a newb, but whats the process for checking and adjusting headspace???

oh and the muzzle brake, well i dont know HOW to adjust it but that little pin holding it from rotating, well there is another gap for it to fit in for it to be fitted for left hand shooters.... at least this is what classicarms's site says...

shade

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Honestly, before I bothered to do check the headspace, I'd try to send your rifle back for an exchange. Even if the headspace were to check out, it looks like the barrel could possible start moving with that messed up oversized hole after you've fired some rounds through it which could result in it going kaboom in your face. I for one wouldn't bother spending $50 to $60 on gauges. I'd ask for an exchange or a refund. I think a refund would be preferable. Buy a decent Romanian kit, an NDS receiver, some compliance parts and have a reputable builder assemble it for you. It may cost a little more $$ but it would be extra $$ well spent.

BTW, you might want to post the pics of the barrel pin hole in the "Build It Yourself" section of this board to get more opinions on it than just mine.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Honestly, before I bothered to do check the headspace, I'd try to send your rifle back for an exchange. Even if the headspace were to check out, it looks like the barrel could possible start moving with that messed up oversized hole after you've fired some rounds through it which could result in it going kaboom in your face. I for one wouldn't bother spending $50 to $60 on gauges. I'd ask for an exchange or a refund. I think a refund would be preferable. Buy a decent Romanian kit, an NDS receiver, some compliance parts and have a reputable builder assemble it for you. It may cost a little more $$ but it would be extra $$ well spent.

BTW, you might want to post the pics of the barrel pin hole in the "Build It Yourself" section of this board to get more opinions on it than just mine.
    i agree...
    AIRBORNE!!!
    ALL THE WAY!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can you get a more direct pic of the barrel pin. It is hard to tell if that is just a boogered area from the pin being removed/installed or if there is something more serious.
    God, Guns and Guts made America great..... let's keep all three.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    GOOD NEWS!!!!!

i just went home to take a peek at my rifle and check some stuff...

its not a sloppy hole, its just a damn BEVEL! the hole is really tight and teh other side sits perfectly flush... there is no room for anything to move, the edges of the actual hole itself are RIGHT up against the pin. the bevel is only about a mm deep, but yeah from the previous pictues i posted, it looks like teh handguard should move and the pin should rattle in that hole loosely... not at ALL the case!!!

also, HMG contacted me and I would like to clear some things up here... HMG is a great company and I dont want anyone on here thinking that any of these problems are at all related to them....

1. clasicarms does all the handguard modifications (wood work)

2. HMG does check headspace and HMG never re-drills barrle pins, NEVER.

3. Classic Arms does not advertise matching numbers on their G guns
    and many from the 70's have non-matching parts because they have been
    re-arsenal'd by the Romanians many times over a 40 year period. Most 1980 and up guns have matching parts ... mine is a 1976

4. the tapco hammer is modified by hmg to be used in the nodakspud receiver.

5. HMG test fires all of their guns before sending them out...

not saying classicarms is a bad company either, from all ive seen and witnessed myself, their customer service is top notch and their company is very smooth to work with. and im sure had this been a really big problem, from what ive heard, returns go really smooth as well.

im keeping the gun and not going to worry about it. ive inspected the barrel pin and hole with a magnifying glass for a long time, and there is no slop or extra space for anything to move in it. yeah it does sliiiiiiightly bother me that the barrel pin does not sit flush on one side, but i think im the only one going to notice (except for the eagle eyed ak-obsessed members of these message boards when i post pictures!! )

stay tuned though, romanian lever side folder, bayonet, sling and brand new K-var romanian handguards being added within the week!!! also might polish the charging handle...

shade

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    As long as you're happy that's what counts.

I do wonder why the hole is beveled though. Seems a bit odd as I've never encountered this with the 10 or so Romanian kits I had or any other AK kit. 6 of my Romanian kits were from the 70's and they all came with matching numbers on all the parts.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    As long as you're happy that's what counts.

I do wonder why the hole is beveled though. Seems a bit odd as I've never encountered this with the 10 or so Romanian kits I had or any other AK kit. 6 of my Romanian kits were from the 70's and they all came with matching numbers on all the parts.
    The depression next to the pin is where the ROMANIANS pressed a barrel pin in off-center, causing a mushroom to one side of the pin that they continued to press into the barrel trunnion, causing a slight depression in the metal surrounding the barrel pin. In a photo, this slight depression/shadow looks like it "might" be a re-drilled barrel pin hole, but IS NOT. Some are so quick to make foolish empirical declarations in the online forums based on a single picture.

I have seen this many times, but it is rare and not statistically likely that you would have seen it in only the few kits you have experienced.

So much for expert conclusions based on photos or biased, suspect descriptions. I'm glad doctors don't make diagnoses via photos emailed to them by hypochondriacs.

Having built HUNDREDS of AK kits from many, many years of Romanian production, I can tell you that pre-1980 AKs are the most likely to have such goobers and mis-matched numbers because of re-arsenal and poor Romanian workmanship. Neither of which represents a safety issue and is purely cosmetic.

Reminder: These are de-milled Romanian AK rifles that come with all the manufacturing quality control issues for which Romanians are well known.

Don't by a Kia and complain it isn't a Mercedes .... is my moto. I'm going to the 300 yard range to shoot my M1A now.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalGuns
    Some are so quick to make foolish empirical declarations in the online forums based on a single picture...............
    So much for expert conclusions based on photos or biased, suspect descriptions. I'm glad doctors don't make diagnoses via photos emailed to them by hypochondriacs.
    Easy Tiger. I believe that what was offered up were just opinions and as you know everyone has one, right or wrong. A foolish empirical declaration, as you say, could actualy save someones ass some day if there were a real problem. Anytime you are dealing with a "potentially" dangerous situation I think it is always a best practice to prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

I am glad that shadeone was able to get this cleared up and also that you took the time to shed light on what everyone was seeing. I for one would have no problem owning a firearm made by someone who would take the time to stand up and personally explain and stand behind their product.

Keep up the good work......were all on the same team.
    God, Guns and Guts made America great..... let's keep all three.

Member #
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalGuns
    No one is claiming to be an expert on the matter. If you read my previous post, I suggested that he seek the opinion of people other than myself.

Don't by a Kia and complain it isn't a Mercedes .... is my moto.
    That is certainly good advice and why I discovered a while back that it's even better to learn how to make your own Mercedes.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't by a Kia and complain it isn't a Mercedes .... is my moto.
    That is certainly good advice and why I discovered a while back that it's even better to learn how to make your own Mercedes.

Nice picture of an AK, but where is your handbuilt Mercedes? Never an AK built that could remotely be considered the Mercedes of anything, much less firearms. The best an AK has ever been is a Turkish Taxi. It just gets ya there. :razz:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors