Sar-1 - What are the possibilities?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sar-1 - What are the possibilities?

I havn't seen many Sar-1's with a wire folding stock. Would that be original with the gun or an addon. Is the brake extension with the bayonet lug on it screwed on? I don't see a pin, there is no compression washer or retaining pin in the front sight. Is it pressed on? The goal would be to put a fixed stock and lose the flash extension and rethread the barrel. I'll keep what would be original, but change a few pieces to make it a more comfortable shooter.. What do I have? 2003.
    IMG_1679.JPG

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The wire folding stock appears to be original; so I'll remove that and hang on to it. The barrel extension is pressed in place. I've been able to spin it but not press it off yet. I'm hoping the barrel is unmolested, so I can thread the end to accept a standard brake. The gas piston/bolt carrier machining is rough, and original.(sigh) This is my first Romanian. Is there any reason not to turn this into a shooter/training/class firearm?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1076 times
    You'll need to post some detailed pics of the front sight base and the muzzle extension. Never seen a sar1 with that kind of muzzle device on it, so it's got to be something someone added. As far as the wire folder, never seen a sar come stock with a wire folder either, but it's just a couple screws to switch out the buttstock so you can go back to a fixed stock if you want.

They're generally nice guns and run well, you can do what you like with it, but they've got a higher value than say a WASR as a lot of people like using them as the starter for a 63/65 clone. They're standard akm so it'll take whatever furniture/rails, dogleg, etc if you do go the tactical route with it.

Get that funky muzzle device off it, put on a muzzle nut or slant brake and the guns worth prob $850 to someone wanting one.
    Some of you are too young to remember this but back in my day we had so much toilet paper that we threw it into the trees of our enemies.

WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1230 times
    The folding stock is pretty rare now. Yeah it only took about a year to get to this point from being overstocked everywhere. They also demand a high price now.
    So maybe reconsider getting rid of it.

I would keep it for a couple of reasons.
    (to me) it looks cool.
    Romanian military uses that setup (authenticity).

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1359 times
    IIRC a lot of the SAR rifles do not have threads on the barrel for a muzzle nut. I had to have mine threaded.
    Raised in New Mexico, where the Hell else do you sneak out in the backyard and shoot off an Atom Bomb or three, instead of a firecracker ...

Member #
    Liked
    1182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jithaca View Post
    IIRC a lot of the SAR rifles do not have threads on the barrel for a muzzle nut. I had to have mine threaded.
    Not only a lot, but none of the SAR rifles were imported with muzzle threads due to the clinton stupidity and parts count. Initially ATF allowed them into the land of shall not be infringed not meeting the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Century, the importer then replaced enough imported parts with USA made parts to make an angelic rifle and not an evil baby killer. Not having the muzzle threaded on an AKM meant that only 5 of the 15 parts had to be replaced to make the SARs legal to sell in the land of shall not be infringed. Cannot have more than 10 imported parts on a long gun.

Later ATF changed the import rules once again banning "non-sporting" rifles. That shut down the importation of probably the only true military issued AKM variant imported.

Sad part of the whole thing was the SAR-2 and SAR-3 had threads on the front sight block that ATF approved because there were no evil flash hiders made in that 22mm thread. Unfortunately the importer, Century didn't read the memo and cut the thread off.

And as said earlier, none of the SAR-1s were imported with a folding stock, which at the time was illegal thanks to clinton. Thankfully the clinton stupidity ended in 2004.
    Last edited by Indykid; 05-22-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors