PM MD. 90 optic side rail

Member #
    Liked
    1762 times

PM MD. 90 optic side rail

I've searched pictures on the net about this model and about 50% of them have the rail and 50% don't.

What is the consensus? Did they come with it from the factory or not.

This is the rear trunnion which would require a long(er) rivet to hold the rail too.

IMG_20200201_145156050.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'm rather inclined to say that it didn't come with the side rail from the factory, especially as the PM90 was a folding stock model. Rails on Romanian guns seem to be more of a commercial than a military thing. Most photos of the original select fire rifles I've seen like the one below:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-th...-43761299.html

Show it without the side rail.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2215 times
    No rail. The pm.90 was an export item. I have gone through about 50 different "post 1989" export 7.62 pieces and none of them have the rail. The only exceptions have been civilian only products.

Even the md.86 series is few and far between and that was intended for domestic consumption.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    No rail. The pm.90 was an export item. I have gone through about 50 different "post 1989" export 7.62 pieces and none of them have the rail. The only exceptions have been civilian only products.

Even the md.86 series is few and far between and that was intended for domestic consumption.

So it's possible the rails were added later by consumers or during the build process using parts kits.

Md.86 is still in use as the primary weapon with the Romanian military, unless I misunderstood your post somehow.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    2215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    So it's possible the rails were added later by consumers or during the build process using parts kits.

Md.86 is still in use as the primary weapon with the Romanian military, unless I misunderstood your post somehow.

Yes. And I have fondled/photographed rifles from the same "batch" that ended up as parts kits.

Member #
    Liked
    1762 times
    Thanks. My parts kit did not include a rail and I had no idea if it was missing or simply never installed on this model.

Member #
    Liked
    1762 times
    Does the side rail suppose to help in making the receiver more rigid?

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    3784 times
    The rail is designed to mount optics.
    Any added rigidity to the receiver is incidental.

A 4 inch piece of steel riveted to the side of the receiver would have an affect on stiffening the receiver.

Not sure there is any advantage gained.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4596 times
    Can't imagine the minor structural change would be advantageous. If anything, seems like it would result in a differential loading between the two receiver sides, causing a slight (can't overemphasize how slight) torque shift to the right.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    LOOKING FOR: EG SSG-82 5.45 bolt gun; Soviet (7.62), East German (7.62/5.45) and Romy (5.45) Barrels; nice EG or Soviet Makarov
    I organize and sell Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collections and estates for those who cannot or would prefer not to, send a PM if interested.
    Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors