• 2 Post By Tula1954
  • 1 Post By Tula1954
  • 1 Post By RusskieSniper

Thread: 1968 Md63 BFPU kit

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

1968 Md63 BFPU kit

This came in from AoA. The front trunnion is marked 1968 AR3039. I had wanted to grab one of their 1964 kits, but it looks like corpsman5 beat me to it and grabbed some of the last few available. All of the parts are matching except the gas tube, which is CO 3466, and the top cover is unmarked. On the FCG, only the hammer had numbers. The stock and lower hand guard have some Balkan trench art, but the lower is hardwood and severely cracked in a couple of spots. I will keep it for display, and use a WASR laminate take-off for shooting.

Now the only issue I have found is the front trunnion is a #3 journal while the RSB, gas block and front sight tower are #2. The new M+M Cugir CHF barrel slips right in to the trunnion, but I tested the Polish Radom barrel I just got from AoA and it won't slide in. It was a standard and not oversize barrel that I ordered, so the Polish barrel shank must be ever so slightly larger. Now I need to decide if I should knurl the Romanian barrel or use the Polish barrel I had slated for a 1981 Polish AKMS kit I have.

By 1968, two spot welds should be correct above the right dimple?

Nice smooth finish on the early forged parts

I have a BFPU Md65 kit and a Romanian CHF barrel on the way, so I will test fit that one as well to see if I might work out.
    corpsman5, Gman, scottyb and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I like the trench art. If it’s a BFPU kit anyway, I’d prefer a little trench art. It’s interesting to think about all the places it’s been. Most I’ve ever got was two initials carved into a buttstock.
    Tula1954 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincymaga View Post
    I like the trench art. If it’s a BFPU kit anyway, I’d prefer a little trench art. It’s interesting to think about all the places it’s been. Most I’ve ever got was two initials carved into a buttstock.
    What is interesting is it appears whoever had this rifle had started to carve a name into the stock but only got part of the way. On the handguard it is "MARICICA" but on the stock it looks like "MARINECA". "GETA" is on the side of the handguard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    sorry I had to snag 2 of last '64's, but I couldn't resist. this still looks like a pretty decent kit, though. I'm getting to where I enjoy the 'trench art'. I'm curious as to which ad this was labeled under. if you get a chance, post the link or their part number. I was planning on getting a few more of the '64's, so now I guess i'll have to pick something else out scratch my BFPU itch. I definitely love the BFPU look, but I'm also a stickler for matching numbers. (even though in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much) anyway, thanks for posting. I've enjoyed looking at it.
    Tula1954 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    It's very likely these rifles never left Romania.
    The soldiers used to carve the names of their girlfriends on the rifles.
    In this case we have MARICICA (a diminutive of Maria) and MARINELA (not MARINECA).
    GETA would be the diminutive of GeorGETA.
    Tula1954 and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
    sorry I had to snag 2 of last '64's, but I couldn't resist. this still looks like a pretty decent kit, though. I'm getting to where I enjoy the 'trench art'. I'm curious as to which ad this was labeled under. if you get a chance, post the link or their part number. I was planning on getting a few more of the '64's, so now I guess i'll have to pick something else out scratch my BFPU itch. I definitely love the BFPU look, but I'm also a stickler for matching numbers. (even though in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter much) anyway, thanks for posting. I've enjoyed looking at it.
    I had tried to place an order for a '64 kit like you got about the first week of October, but it was out of stock. I went for the '60's Md63 kit w/ palmswell handguards, which as of now seems to gone from AoA as well.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    It's very likely these rifles never left Romania.
    The soldiers used to carve the names of their girlfriends on the rifles.
    In this case we have MARICICA (a diminutive of Maria) and MARINELA (not MARINECA).
    GETA would be the diminutive of GeorGETA.
    Thanks for the input! I did some googling and it does appear these are Romanian names. The "Marinela" on the stock gets hard to make out in the last few letters as it is barely scratched in towards the end.

Hmm...3 girlfriends. Must have been quite the ladies man!
    corpsman5 and dixy2k like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tula1954 View Post
    I had tried to place an order for a '64 kit like you got about the first week of October, but it was out of stock. I went for the '60's Md63 kit w/ palmswell handguards, which as of now seems to gone from AoA as well.
    damn, dude... you're right. I just checked and those are gone too! that was the one I was going to get since the 64's are gone. oh well... I guess i'll move on to the next one. I could be wrong, but I think they will get more 64's in at some point.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsman5 View Post
    damn, dude... you're right. I just checked and those are gone too! that was the one I was going to get since the 64's are gone. oh well... I guess i'll move on to the next one. I could be wrong, but I think they will get more 64's in at some point.
    I hope so! I'd like to line up a few more kits before ordering another batch of Childers receivers. So far I have this md 63, and another md 65 kit on the way from AoA that need receivers. I have an itch for an RPK, so i'm debating getting one of the barreled & headspaced md 64 kits or just knuckling down and getting a new AES10b.

I hope to see some more Polish kits come on the market at some point. I'd love to get a hold of an early Polish hardwood AKM fixed stock kit.
    corpsman5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tula1954 View Post
    Thanks for the input! I did some googling and it does appear these are Romanian names. The "Marinela" on the stock gets hard to make out in the last few letters as it is barely scratched in towards the end.

Hmm...3 girlfriends. Must have been quite the ladies man!

Most likely a few soldiers had the same rifle over the course of many years in service.

Member #
    Liked
    1194 times
    damn... now the AIMS-74 kits are gone!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    That's a nice kit! The carvings remind me of the laminate palm swell I got from Atlantic that has MARY and LAURA carved on either side of the handguard.
    Tula1954 likes this.
    There is no dark side in the moon, really! Matter of fact, it's all dark!

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    Nice kit, that should make an interesting build...love the trench art.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It is going to look great when complete. I've managed to clamp and glue the cracks on the LHG, but I'm hesitant to shoot it with it installed. I've had some good luck staining one of those ubiquitous WASR shaved dong laminate handguards to match. A few coats of red chestnut and some english chestnut give a good mix of the reddish-brown look. Whenever I hit the range, I will swap out the LHG.

Once I line up 1 or 2 more kits, i'll put in another order for some more Childers receivers.

Sponsors