1992 Romanian barrel stub question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 1992 Romanian barrel stub question

Member #
    Liked
    67 times

1992 Romanian barrel stub question

Just wondering of anyone has an original 1992 trunnion with 7.62x39 barrel stub? Im trying to determine what year the chamfer feed ramp cut was first introduced. None appear in 1991, but then in 1994 the cut is present.

Thanks
    WANTED- gas tube numbered "NO 1426" ,recoil assembly numbered 1426. Any parts matching DE2226

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3919 times
    What-a-Country has some '92-dated Romy md63 kits for sale, though the kit in the pic appears to be out of the Sadu factory, if that makes a difference. Not suggesting you buy one to find out, but they're cool chopped-dong kits and members here will surely pick a few up. Maybe someone can check for you.
    Last edited by AZAK; 06-23-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    I've had the same observationn a OP.

I have 2 1991 trunnions with intact stubs and one 1994 with stub. The 1994 stub has the chamber chamfer/ramp.

Its hard to tell now that barrel pieces are omitted from most kits.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    What-a-Country has some '92-dated Romy md63 kits for sale, though the kit in the pic appears to be out of the Sadu factory, if that makes a difference. Not suggesting you buy one to find out, but they're cool chopped-dong kits and members here will surely pick a few up. Maybe someone can check for you.
    Ya know, I just glanced at that photo and surmised that they were "pulling an Apex move" substituting a wood stock for a sidefolder stock - that they had the same 1992 Md90 kits that recently flooded the market. The magnified trunnion - though a crappy pic - does seem like it could be Sadu.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Ya know, I just glanced at that photo and surmised that they were "pulling an Apex move" substituting a wood stock for a sidefolder stock - that they had the same 1992 Md90 kits that recently flooded the market. The magnified trunnion - though a crappy pic - does seem like it could be Sadu.
    I ordered one, lame move if they swapped the stocks though. I probably would have built as a fixed stock rifle, but still... I'll post some pictures when it gets here.
    WANTED- gas tube numbered "NO 1426" ,recoil assembly numbered 1426. Any parts matching DE2226

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    The wood stock might be legit if it is a Sadu arsenal kit.

Post pictures of the trunnion when you get it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3919 times
    Maybe they're not all Sadu kits, but the one in the pic definitely is. Which suggests they are md63 models and the fixed stock is appropriate.

Unfortunately, I see now what I should have noticed before, that these kits have no barrel stubs. Never mind!
    Last edited by AZAK; 06-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    We've got a hell of a lot more in common with the fellow citizens we're being trained to hate than the puppetmasters training us to hate them.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    All matching Sadu kit, with a factory dongless handguard. It came with a Russian buttstock, I think the wire folder was swapped with a wood stock at some point. I think centerfire has the same dongless Sadu kits for sale with the folder for $300. Pretty cool though, first time seeing a 1992 Sadu kit. If I remember right there were 1990 and 1991 Sadu kits briefly available earlier this year too. I wonder where these came from? Balkans?

92kit.JPG
    Last edited by miner1436; 06-27-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    swizz, MPiKM-72 and AZAK like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    Very cool! All numbers match?

Vendors won't say, but I'm convinced they are from the Balkan conflict.

I don't believe Sadu kits were "Md90" sidefolder kits as I believe those were Cugir arsenal only. So I take back my comment about vendors swapping parts. I believe the wood stock is the only correct stock for Sadu. They originally were fixed stock with a "dong" lower hand guard. The Sadu lower hand guards of the late 1980's and early 1990's had a thicker grip.

This lower hand guard came on my 1989 original barrel Sadu kit. Notice how thick it is from front to back. The buttstock was from a different rifle - the kits of that era all had buttstocks from different rifles. I purchased the kit from a vendor in early 2008.

And while we are here - 1989 Sadu chamber area. No feed ramp at that time.

Sadu never seemed to convert to to the later style Romanian features seen on Cugir rifles - at least during Sadu's small production runs.

There are Sadu bayonets in the wild as well.

Last edited by MPiKM-72; 06-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    AZAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    It's all matching, a little bit of rust on the top cover, but over all very good condition. I would have generally agreed (up until today) that all Sadu rifles were fixed stock with the dong handguard, but this page makes me think they may have made Md90 rifles later on:
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/189047-sadu-vs-cugir-lets-discuss-2.html

On my 92 kit the handguard was also dongless from the factory, not cut off in the field. The rear trunnion also has no remnants of any wood particles, or wood impressions. The finish on the end tip of the rear trunnion, where it would normally be recessed inside a stock, is also heavily worn silver. This is a part that would be exposed on a folder rifle. They may have made one or two runs of the Md90 rifles, 1992 and 1997? Years in-between, who knows. I just ordered a centerfire kit with a dongless handguard, looks exactly like my kit with the exception of having a folder. This is the first time I have ever seen late Romanian rifles, barring underfolders, come from the factory with a handguard that has no dong. Special contract order? Very interesting stuff, just when you think you have seen it all...

As pertaining to the chamber chamfer cut, my '97 Sadu WUM-1 has the chamfer cut, as well as the updated bolt carrier underside lightning cut, just like the 90's Cugir rifles. On the '92 kit, the bolt carrier cutout is still the old style. It makes me think that the '92 would not have had the chamfer cut. Sadu was always behind Cugir, up until the end.

Sadu carriers: '92 left, '97 right
    carr.JPG

Chamfer cut on '97 Sadu WUM-1
    tunn.JPG
    Last edited by miner1436; 06-27-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    MPiKM-72 and AZAK like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    Very good example - I've never handled one of those 1997 dated semi-autos.

The cut dong is a typical Balkan field modification. I think if it was factory it would have been done better.

10 or so years ago you could buy 3 sets of Romanian wood sourced from the Balkans for $25. I loaded up. Almost every Romanian hand guard I received in those orders was a cut dong.

I have pictures of young post-war Croatian soldiers training with cut dong Romanian rifles.
    AZAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6744 times
    Can you provide pics of your lower hand guard - inside the barrel channel and outside?

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    I agree that it was a very common field modification in the Balkan war. I usually swap out the dong for a cut dong on my Romanian kits, better for bench shooting than with the dong. But this handguard with the '92 kit was no field modification. Two things: The shellac finish is perfect on the bottom, no sloppy cut job either, everything is perfectly even. Also notice the large amount of wood overhang on the lower back end of the handguard where it butts up to the receiver. This excessive overhang is also seen on the 1992 rifle in Stottman's post, which is also dongless. My guess is that the factory got some sort of special contact order in, probably some client in the Balkans that requested Md90's with no dongs. Or maybe their SOP on the Md90's was "no dong" for whatever reason.

1992 Handguard set on the 1997 WUM-1:

Undisturbed factory shellac:
    bottom.JPG

Overhang:
    overh.JPG

Channel:
    dongless.JPG
    Last edited by miner1436; 06-27-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    413 times
    Saw a couple of kits at the gun show yesterday both dated 1992.
    One looked pretty well used so my guess Balkan war era.
    I may pick a couple up. I have a few sets of Balkan wood and some are dongless
    My 1964 chamber just for a reference
    Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Some more pics of how crudely made this thing is, I love it:
    111c.JPG113c.JPG114c.JPG20190708_112133.jpg
    The top cover was defective from the factory, the flare at the end by the selector didn't get fully pressed out:
    20190708_112323.jpg
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors