Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Stottman
  • 1 Post By esh21167

Thread: AIMR md80 build questions.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times

AIMR md80 build questions.

Asking for any help on this information for a friend of mine not on this forum. Thank you.

Unfortunately information about these variants are as rare as the variants themselves but I grabbed a Romanian AIMR stock on the earlier in the week and I want to build a true md.80 clone as close as possible and have a few questions:

1) Years of production. Obviously 1980 was when the variant was accepted but I know there were at least 2 prototype stocks before the first variation. Most sources suggest "the 80's" as years of production but I've heard 1982 was the first year of production through 1989 when it was replaced the by md.90 carbine. Is there any other information out there?

2) Barrel length. All the pictures I've seen seem to have a longer barrel and gas tube than the Draco. If the Draco is the correct length I will use one as a donor but I don't believe it to be correct for a true AIMR.

3) Selector markings. I'm assuming the md.80's (domestic) had the FF FA and S selectors and the AIMR's (export) had S A R, can anyone comfirm this? Was the first type AIMR ever actually exported?

4) Furniture and pistol grips. Most AIMRs I've seen had the dark red (domestic) dongs bur what pistol grips would have been correct? I'm thinking either a regular "red" bakelite Romy PG or one of the earlier black bakelite "AIMR" grips as they've been called.

Any other information would be appreciated!

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1959 times
    Sorry for cutting and pasting, but I assume the person asking on facebook is yourself.

There are two (or more depending on your argument) versions of the short 7.62x39 version.

The version with underfolding stock, OR side folding stock is from the early 90s to today. Same basic piece as the "Draco" pistols imported into the US today.

The earlier version with "crutch" stock (or no stock) is different, and supposedly uses a slightly shorter gas system/piston.

Any other details about the early version seem to hard to find. There is one on display at the Military museum in Bucharest, but they will NOT allow me (as an author) to take items out of the display case for photography, and they have nothing in "the basement" like Western Military museums.

I do have great images of the later 1990s version in my book "the AK47 catalog volume 9".

If I were doing a build, I would use a late "domestic" 1980s parts kit as a base.

1- Your guess is as good as mine. These don't seem to have been made in great numbers, otherwise they were be more common on the export market.

2-It is different. I remember reading years ago that it was actually slightly shorter.

3- Domestic markings.

4- Same as a period md.63, which is another reason to start with a similar period kit.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    THANKS great info I will pass the info along. Rob I'm not the same person asking on Facebook but did PM you, it's my friend that has been hunting down the parts to build this version for some time now. I'm just trying to help him spend more money! He finally found the correct left side folder stock to proceed with his build and he has some other barrel parts from a Md90 cabine. Mostly he wanted to make sure he had the right year trunnion date & serial number order to make it as correct as possible. Pic of folder below is the one he just got. Rifle pic is a stock photo he had. I will let him know about volume 9 as I don't have that one yet to help him with.

62552487_10218895685039884_8228780395626233856_n.jpg62552487_10218895685039884_8228780395626233856_n (1).jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    Sorry for cutting and pasting, but I assume the person asking on facebook is yourself.

There are two (or more depending on your argument) versions of the short 7.62x39 version.

The version with underfolding stock, OR side folding stock is from the early 90s to today. Same basic piece as the "Draco" pistols imported into the US today.

The earlier version with "crutch" stock (or no stock) is different, and supposedly uses a slightly shorter gas system/piston.

Any other details about the early version seem to hard to find. There is one on display at the Military museum in Bucharest, but they will NOT allow me (as an author) to take items out of the display case for photography, and they have nothing in "the basement" like Western Military museums.

I do have great images of the later 1990s version in my book "the AK47 catalog volume 9".

If I were doing a build, I would use a late "domestic" 1980s parts kit as a base.

1- Your guess is as good as mine. These don't seem to have been made in great numbers, otherwise they were be more common on the export market.

2-It is different. I remember reading years ago that it was actually slightly shorter.

3- Domestic markings.

4- Same as a period md.63, which is another reason to start with a similar period kit.
    Here's a thread that corroborates some of that information. https://www.theakforum.net/forums/28...cessories.html

And another, though it goes into the md90 a bit: https://www.theakforum.net/forums/28...fo-needed.html

Great find on the stock as well OP. You should buy a lottery ticket.
    Last edited by esh21167; 06-16-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    Wolfhound25 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Thanks all we should be good to go on this build.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    I saw the stock pop up on akfiles the other day, started to get it myself but someone had already claimed it.
    I've got one built off a draco that two rivers did the machine work for the stock, the left side of the receiver has to be cut for that particular stock to fit and be able to fold. I can take some pics of it if you need them.

I've got a couple md80, md86 sbr, md90 sbr kits as I was focusing on the more oddball rommy stuff for awhile when I was collecting up kits, the md80s are hard to come by, I'd build on a draco if I were you.
    WTB
    1960s-1986 Russian Kits | Subgun kits of any kind
    1973 dated kits and guns | AIMR-74-PM MD 86 Barrel
    Polish NSP3 Nr L-90048
    PM me, can pay $ or possibly trade.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Thanks for the info. This request was for a friend of mine not on this forum (not me I've got my money tied up in a '58 Polish wz60 right now). Just helping him out as I knew this was were to go for the most knowledge.

He is the one that bought that stock of the Files. He is also does his own builds but info for these rifles is pretty sparse and he wanted to make sure he did it right. He has a couple kits (newer AIMR & Md63) that he is going to use for this build. He was looking for correct barrel & gas tube length and especially trunnion years. I think with the info here and some pics from R. Stott's books he is good to go. Just waiting on his paperwork to begin to put it together. He even has a couple of the correct mags. Damn purist!

59850132_1371601686310967_8401309691468054528_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by myst173 View Post
    I saw the stock pop up on akfiles the other day, started to get it myself but someone had already claimed it.
    I've got one built off a draco that two rivers did the machine work for the stock, the left side of the receiver has to be cut for that particular stock to fit and be able to fold. I can take some pics of it if you need them.

I've got a couple md80, md86 sbr, md90 sbr kits as I was focusing on the more oddball rommy stuff for awhile when I was collecting up kits, the md80s are hard to come by, I'd build on a draco if I were you.

ems

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I'd second starting with a draco; although the receiver markings are a little tacky, it's all factory forward of the rear block. Super easy conversion, that's what I did for my 5.56.

If he does build from a kit, here's something to be aware of: the new production shorty barrels combined with the new production pm90 parts will leave you with a little less of the threaded muzzle than you'd see on a draco. I combined a '92 md90 kit with virgin front end parts for a pistol build (wanted a birth year build, a 7.62 to go with my 5.56, it came out cheaper than a draco and it has the fixed stock tang for when I decide it needs a stock) and the muzzle nut doesn't come flush with the muzzle. The gas tube is probably a little longer than a draco, but I don't own one to compare. Not a big deal at all, invisible with an aimr type brake, and could probably be worked around by shortening the gas tube just a little bit, but it's just something to keep in mind. I didn't catch it until I installed the muzzle nut (stand in for the proper flash hider) at the very end, and by then everything was already pinned in place and i didn't feel like re-doing anything for such a small "issue".

First pic is my 5.56, second and third are of the 7.62 pistol muzzle

VU9LvkJl.jpg
    CViBjZKl.jpg
    pPud9D7l.jpg
    Last edited by ems; 06-18-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ems View Post
    I'd second starting with a draco; although the receiver markings are a little tacky, it's all factory forward of the rear block. Super easy conversion, that's what I did for my 5.56.

If he does build from a kit, here's something to be aware of: the new production shorty barrels combined with the new production pm90 parts will leave you with a little less of the threaded muzzle than you'd see on a draco. I combined a '92 md90 kit with virgin front end parts for a pistol build (wanted a birth year build and a 7.62 to go with my 5.56, and it came out cheaper than a draco) and the muzzle nut doesn't come flush with the muzzle. The gas tube is probably a little longer than a draco, but I don't own one to compare. Not a big deal at all, invisible with an aimr type brake, and could probably be worked around by shortening the gas tube just a little bit, but it's just something to keep in mind. I didn't catch it until I installed the muzzle nut (stand in for the proper flash hider) at the very end, and by then everything was already pinned in place and i didn't feel like re-doing anything for such a small "issue".
    Excellent info I will pass it on the him. I'm mechanically declined when it comes to this stuff. That's why I send my kits out.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors