• 1 Post By ThePolytechAK
  • 2 Post By MPiKM-72
  • 2 Post By techno

Thread: 1983 Sadu MD63 build / 74ullc BFPU

Member #
    Liked
    2045 times

1983 Sadu MD63 build / 74ullc BFPU

So this was a lucky GB find, OG barrel Sadu (Domestic not export) kit. I was born in 1983 so I had to have it. The ad had awful pics taken from 10 ft away and titled wrong. The guy messages me back a few min before it was over with ďall numbered parts match but lower handguard & the bore looks newĒ.

Matching 74ullc, with the wrong selector font because I really just wanted to build it. Followed the master builderís advice and didnít rivet the front trunnion in it before bluing, and hot blued the rivets I fit for the front trunnion.

Itís one of the cheapest guns I have built and itís my favorite at the moment. AZAK IDíed the names on the stock as Romanian. I will post better pics later.

Last edited by techno; 10-05-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    WTB/WTT:
    Rare/unique original barrel kits
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels
    I have rare parts/kits and plenty original Russian paint to trade.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    This one looks pretty bad ass. Nice work! OG Sadu. Rare. It has a lot of character. I especially like the way you aged the receiver and that barrel has some unique tooling marks. Very cool gun Chris. Don't sell it without asking me first!
    WTB: Russian PLO Parts KITS
    Type 1-2-3 Russian Barrels / Deact kits
    Late 70s Russian AKM kits

Member #
    Liked
    671 times
    Very nice. But aren't the S FA FF domestic Romanian markings? Why do you say they are 'wrong?' Was this type of rifle an export only model?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2045 times

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Very nice. But aren't the S FA FF domestic Romanian markings? Why do you say they are 'wrong?' Was this type of rifle an export only model?
    No they are correct, this is a domestic rifle. Look at your volume 10 of Rob Stotts AK Catalog page 62 and you will see the Sadu rifles like this and his notes about them. He states most have domestic markings. You are confusing this with the export Cugir rifles, both donít have the arsenal stamp but the Sadu is domestic, kinda like the Tula of Romania? If we didnít have the catalog, the next sign would be the two different very Romanian last names carved into the stock on each side.

I just mean wrong font. David makes such a good receiver that it really just didnít matter to me. Frank was too busy to jump on making a correct stencil set so I settled with the 60ís style thin font. I already have enough projects that sit in boxes waiting on some stupid little detail before I build them.

A lot of ppl build Romanians on other receivers, cheaper or easier to get because they are not as coveted but the Romy kits on 74ullc are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by techno; 10-05-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    WTB/WTT:
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels

Member #
    Liked
    671 times
    Ok, we are on the same page. Figured it was a domestic. I would never have even guessed about the 'font' style. Don't mention it again an no one else will ever notice either. Again, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by techno View Post
    No they are correct, this is a domestic rifle. Look at your volume 10 of Rob Stotts AK Catalog page 62 and you will see the Sadu rifles like this and his notes about them. He states most have domestic markings. You are confusing this with the export Cugir rifles, both don’t have the arsenal stamp but the Sadu is domestic, kinda like the Tula of Romania? If we didn’t have the catalog, the next sign would be the two different very Romanian last names carved into the stock on each side.

I just mean wrong font. David makes such a good receiver that it really just didn’t matter to me. Frank was too busy to jump on making a correct stencil set so I settled with the 60’s style thin font. I already have enough projects that sit in boxes waiting on some stupid little detail before I build them.

A lot of ppl build Romanians on other receivers, cheaper or easier to get because they are not as coveted but the Romy kits on 74ullc are awesome.

Member #
    Liked
    5598 times
    That turned out really nice!
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 11 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    [QUOTE=techno;2824359]So this was a lucky GB find, OG barrel Sadu (Domestic not export) kit. I was born in 1983 so I had to have it. The ad had awful pics taken from 10 ft away and titled wrong. The guy messages me back a few min before it was over with “all numbered parts match but lower handguard & the bore looks new”.

Matching 74ullc, with the wrong selector font because I really just wanted to build it. Followed the master builder’s advice and didn’t rivet the front trunnion in it before bluing, and hot blued the rivets I fit for the front trunnion.

I just came across this thread and Love how this rifle came out. What method did you use to match the Wear of the reciever to the parts? I also plan on building a "BFPU" Romanian RPK Para Kit and want the receiver and barrel to match. Now I don't have really anyone locally who can hot blue but I thought about parkerizing then wearing it down.
    It’s one of the cheapest guns I have built and it’s my favorite at the moment. AZAK ID’ed the names on the stock as Romanian. I will post better pics later.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2045 times
    You have to wear the receiver slowly, and not by using steel wool or sand blast. Use things that would imitate the natural habitat of the weapon, it would be rubbing against canvas and wood etc, over wearing it is the problem with most BFPU. This one could have been worn a bit less.

WTB/WTT:
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels

Member #
    Liked
    5598 times
    Wear rough leather gloves. Take a handful of sand or other abrasive in the gloves. Manhandle rifle. Works pretty well. I use 0000 steel wool as well. I even let a little rust occur and then steel wool the rust away. Never rub hard - caress is a better word for the level of pressure to use.

AZG and ThePolytechAK like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 11 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    2045 times

Quote Originally Posted by MPiKM-72 View Post
    Wear rough leather gloves. Take a handful of sand or other abrasive in the gloves. Manhandle rifle. Works pretty well. I use 0000 steel wool as well. I even let a little rust occur and then steel wool the rust away. Never rub hard - caress is a better word for the level of pressure to use.

This is good advice. If you use steel wool make sure you donít rub hard. I fked up my polish rifle by rubbing barely too hard. His looks more real than mine. Mine looks like it was babied, never let it rust.

AZG and swizz like this.
    WTB/WTT:
    Russian Barrels
    East German Barrels

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors