1997 Wum1 and Romak1 projects almost done.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Stottman

Thread: 1997 Wum1 and Romak1 projects almost done.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1933 times

1997 Wum1 and Romak1 projects almost done.

Like many of you, I started doing builds years ago, but in recent years have shifted to factory builds or converted thumbhole guns... It's the little differences like finish, receivers, rivet size and shape, fit, etc.. Not saying that a US kit build is not a good rifle on a technical level. But its the little differences...Not to mention with the prices of barrels and labor, cheaper! Both of these builds were less then $1K when it was all said and done.

A few years ago, I had a nice 1997 dated WUM1 that I converted with a nice 1990s Kvar stock set, but was forces to sell it (as well as almost everything else)

After getting in the position to buy again, I started to search for another 1997 rifle... I did learn/figure out that the WUM1s were made by Sadu mechanical plant, while the Romak1 rifles were made by Cugir.

I managed to find both rifles, and manages to find "correct" stock sets for both of them.

The WUM1, I used a stock set that was a "take off" from a new 1991 Military rifle. I have the correct RSB, gas block and FSB, so may change them out later.

The Romak1, I found a stock set here on the EE. It was not a "donkey dong" handguard, but figured I could find one of those later. I decided to keep the AKM style handguard so to have a little variety. As this was a 2nd hand rifle, the previous owner had a FSE (one of the 1st 922r firms)muzzle brake installed. I will fix this later.

Comparison of the receivers.

WUM1 is first; 1997 Full aut rifle is for comparison.

Romak1 is next. 1994 full auto for comparison.

Barrel parts; WUM1 vs Romak1.

Oddball WUM1 stuff. Riveted selector and 300m sight leaf.

Last edited by Stottman; 06-10-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Wow your 97 Romak1 is identical to mine i had to go check my safe, with the exception of that thing the previous owner installed on your muzzle... which leads me to my question. With the barrel turned down to .500 +/- and additional length out in front of the FSB have you given any thought to how you may proceed with that? My thoughts were to machine a shrink fit sleeve that can be threaded correctly with the FSB moved out to its correct location.
    "With the ending of the NVA . . . went the last true German Army."

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    The wum-1 is still nice and very well taken care of, it just doesn't have the weird scope rail or selector anymore. I have not yet repositioned selector in receiver yet. Still waiting to finish up my workshop so I can do it properly. The weird selector "x" dimple has me has me hesitating also. I will share pics when done. I think you will appreciate it, I hope. I always appreciate your opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1933 times
    The FSE brake looks like it just threaded on and was spot welded to avoid having the threaded barrel which is an "evil feature"... It came out of New York.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Nice looking rifles! I have a set of the Blonde Romy palmswell HGs I'll be using on an underfolder build. Would love to find another full AKM set. Good luck with them!

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Yeah that Wum 1 looks like mine except the nice wood furniture, mine is got Magpul everything. I really like some nice wood but most of the Romanian furniture I find has that dong on the handguard that I don't like.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors