• 1 Post By MPiKM-72
  • 1 Post By Panzer
  • 1 Post By montanaAK

Thread: need advise on purchasing PSL

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times

need advise on purchasing PSL

My local shop has a PSL for sale. It is in great shape and is priced wright. What should I look for when deciding to buy this?
    It says romarm on the receiver. Is that a good one? I know there were a few different importers and some were better than others.

A few things I noticed were the mag hold open didn't engage properly with the magazine. The safety was super tight (took both hands). The muzle decide was welded on. And the top cover had some piting although the paint finish was intact.

I really want a PSL but don't want to get stuck with a problem gun.

Member #
    Liked
    6590 times
    To my knowledge none of the semi-auto PSL rifles imported into the US were built from brand new parts - rather they took military PSL rifles, dismanteled them, gauged the parts and reassembled them on semi-auto receivers.

As such - you may see examples that have pitted parts and were refinished. All of them were refinished.

Romarm on the receiver is a plus in my opinion.

It will be a gamble as to whether or not it will function correctly. The majority will function correctly. The only guaranteed way to know for sure is to test fire it before purchase - something a purchaser rarely gets to do.
    AZAK and montanaAK like this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    957 times
    Look for the ones completely built in Romania, in this case it seems you found it. I've seen a few problem ones with the stuff rebuilt on TGI receivers. It's normal for those ones to have the break spot welded on, safety is nothing that can't be bent or loosened up, BHO, not sure without seeing pics or possibly even a issue with th mag.
    montanaAK likes this.
    WTB: Russian Slabside mags, Yugo 4 cell mag pouch

DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO BH_4000!
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-...m-edition.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8456 times
    If it's worth messing with really depends on the price. $700? Hell yeah! $1500? Not so much.

If i recall, didn't these have numbered mags to go with the rifle or am I thinking of another rifle?

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    If it's an authentic Romy factory build that would be a good thing, what's the price tag for it at the shop? Most PSL rifles I see are at least $1,000. I have a TGI PSL I'm not too happy with it just cause it doesn't have matching parts loose top cover fit. I only shot it once and It worked just fine no problems. I was actually surprised that it didn't have nearly as much recoil as my Mosin. After owning this gun I'd honestly prefer a true Dragunov SVD but there are too rich for my blood. I've once handled what I believe was a preban Russian import of an SVD it was a slick rifle and much better engineered than the PSL.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    It's on consignment and the guy wants $1k. It's in great shape so I'm probably going to buy it. I need to free up some cash fast.

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    run. my attempts at getting a good psl 4 times was like trying to shove poop back into my dogs butt when she was potty training. run. don't walk.
    montanaAK likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    Good advice.....gross....but good

Member #
    Liked
    6590 times
    Not many have matching magazines - mags that match the PSL are a rare occurrence.

Somehow one of my PSLs ended up being one that came with a matching mag. It is an SSG-97 imported by IO.
    22many likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    957 times
    Guess I got lucky, mine came with a matching mag. Funny story of how I got it, I walked in to a local gun store back home wanting another Mosin, so I looked through all the ones on the floor (this right here should tell you it's been a while, since you could pick Mosins from a crate) and a worker who sold me my Glock says "You want to see more in the back?" So we walk back there and I spot the PSL sitting on a rack, waiting for its time to come out. Florida law says when a gun store takes something on pawn or it buys from a person it must wait a certain amount to clear before it can be resold. So I pick it up and examine it, and said, I'll take this instead. Talked them down from the sticker price of about 1200/1300 to 800. Came with a nice Russian scope, matching mag, all matching numbers, and a sweet black case with a confiscation tag from the local sheriffs department, they picked it up a few miles from where I lived. Lol. Shot like a dream, and love it. Don't take it out much anymore though, have other things I play with.
    22many likes this.
    WTB: Russian Slabside mags, Yugo 4 cell mag pouch

DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO BH_4000!
    https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-...m-edition.html

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    Should find out today if I can pick up this rifle. I don't have the cash so they are looking into a layaway for me. Its on consignment so it makes things more difficult.

That's one of the benefits of buying local. They know me by first name and do their best to help out loyal customer. I hope I can work something out.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8456 times
    I see these PSLs going the way of the rest of the imports...in people's collections to never be sold or when they are they are sold for big money. I remember them at J&G sales in 2009 for around $800 and now you can't even seem to find one these days without dropping some serious coin. A grand for one? Yeah that's not bad. Unfortunally these days we can't afford to be picky so I say buy it as it will increase in value.

If these things were plentiful then yeah, search out for the best but they aren't anymore so get them while you can if that's what your into.

Member #
    Liked
    1621 times
    So I put her on layaway today. It was hard to dish out the money but hopefully I did well. I'll post some pics when I get it.
    22many likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors