Picked up older WASR 10

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Picked up older WASR 10

Bought a wasr10 from a friend who said he bought it over 20 years ago. Its kind of neat with a heavy lacquer paint on all wood and a muzzel brake that looks like it came off a krink. It has all matching numbers and is like new. The muzzel brake works great and almost no flash at night. The brake has a spot weld to hold in place. Do you think barrel is threaded at end and if removed what would hold brake in same position so the two holes point up to compensate. On most aks their is a pin to lock compensator in the position you want. Thanks for any advice. Also would this be all romanian parts even barrel and receiver and would it be a good quality ak.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Picked up older WASR 10

WASR 20 years ago ? I dunno, maybe I guess. I would have thought only SAR's then - but the older I get, the fuzzier chronology gets. Saying the brake has 2 holes on top, would seem to indicate a '74 style brake, most likely of American manufacture. If easily confirmable to determine whether or not the barrel is threaded, you would most likely see a projecting spring loaded pin on the FSA. No pin, and a weld doesn't neccesarily mean no threads, but it might. Lots of variables here my friend. Photos could maybe lead to some answers from the more knowledgable.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I should have stated in my 1st post that the wood is a deep red color and the lower forearm has palm swells. The guy I got it from also installed a red star trigger which is very nice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    53 times

Considering that the Wassenar Arrangement was in 1996 (16 years ago), a 20 year old WASR seems highly unlikely to me.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

The first Romy's started coming in '96 or '97 IIRC with the Romaks and/or WUMs, etc... They were the ones with PSL-looking stocks. I don't think the SAR's (which sounds like this one) started coming in until '01-'02. Correct me on the SAR's as that is after I stopped paying attention.

To some people, 10 or 15 years ago feels like 20 I guess...
    Bitterly clinging to my guns, religion, and my antipathy for people who arenít like me.

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times

First SAR series and WASR were imported with date stamp of "99" indicating 1999. The SAR series were banned in late 2003 as not meeting the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA and therefore ATF's new second amendment translation. There were a handful of SARs marked as 2004. WASRs have been continuously imported since 1999 in various designations, some as former military rifles that were built up on WASR receivers, which is why you will see date codes from as early as the late 1960s and early 1970s, but regardless as to their date marks on those builds, their true date of build and importation was 2000 to current.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well I should have looked at ser. nu. its 1-25945-2001. Right side of receiver says made by romarm sa/cugir imported cai. Must have been made in 2001. Guy I bought from is around 75, 11 years to him must be a
    more like 20. Anyway I dont care when it was made. I just think it looks like a rifle that is all romamian with no American parts. That I think would make it a quality rifle other than the magazine well work. I have another wasr 10 and I am just trying to learn. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well I should have looked at ser. nu. its 1-25945-2001. Right side of receiver says made by romarm sa/cugir imported cai. Must have been made in 2001. Guy I bought from is around 75, 11 years to him must be a
    more like 20. Anyway I dont care when it was made. I just think it looks like a rifle that is all romamian with no American parts. That I think would make it a quality rifle other than the magazine well work. I have another wasr 10 and I am just trying to learn. Thanks

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    53 times

Sorry for being a smartass about it.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times

About the muzzle being threaded, unless it was done by the person that installed the Krink type brake, the WASRs during that period were imported without threaded muzzles.

One way to find out!!!

Is the mag well still single stack? If so, the early WASRs had special front trunions that also had narrow mag wells so that unlike later ones that just required a bit of grinding on the receiver, some of the older ones also required opening up the front trunion as well.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Indykid
    ... One way to find out!!!
    Dance on it?
    Johnnie F. - recovering Statist
    ----------------------------------------------
    ... you ARE the father!

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times

Quote Originally Posted by John Fritz
    Quote Originally Posted by Indykid
    ... One way to find out!!!
    Dance on it?
    Exactly! Dance on it with a dremel. (And if you still don't get it, cut the weld off, and try to turn the brake off)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My other wasr is ser # SAP-2618-82. Mag wells have been opened up on both rifles and a mag catch rivited into place. With no place for a pin on front sight base I bet muzzel may not be threaded. I like the way this muzzel brake works so I will leave it alone. There would be no way to index the brake without another spot weld. Hey my big ? here is do you guys think both of these rifles are all Romanian including receiver and barrels. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1043 times

Barrels on the WASRs were Romanian. The 922(r) conversion was the trigger, hammer, disconnector, gas piston, and pistol grip on the early ones, and most of later as well, but I have seen some where Century replaced the fire control group with a nice Tapco G2, US made pistol grip, and US made mag parts.

If the front sight base does not have a hole for the indexing pin, you can do as I did on one and drill it yourself, or replace yours with one that does have the indexing pin installed. Luckily Romanian front sight bases are still available.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Indy, I appreciate the information I always get here. One last ? where do you guys buy parts from. Thanks

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors