Romy G bolt pic request

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Romy G bolt pic request

Hey guys, I was cleaning my Romy G build today after I went shooting with some friends, and I noticed something on the back of the bolt (the part that contacts the lugs on the trunnion once the bolt is rotated and "in-battery"), so I just wanted to see if I really just had not noticed this characteristic of the bolt before (as I tend not to the shoot the Romy G that much), or if something is indeed fishy. So I wanted to see if I can get some pictures from some of you other guys with Romy G's, or even other Romanian versions, to help me figure out by comparing my bolt to yours, cause I want to say I'm pretty sure this wasn't there before, but it has been a while since I took it out and shot it prior to this.

Here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

If you guys take a look you notice something like a groove on the bolt as parts of the locking lug contacting section nears the main bolt body. Close to the #'s. See I thought there was something like a groove even before, but not as thick, or prominent as this. And when I took a look at my M70b1 bolt, it didn't have that prominent of a groove either, so I don't know if this is just a Romy G bolt trait, or if it's an actual problem. Btw. the parts kit I made it with is 1986 dated, so if you got a 1986 one, I'd be especially interested in seeing the rear of the bolt on those. Ok guys, thanks for any assistance.

Member #
    Liked
    2053 times

Re: Romy G bolt pic request

Completely normal. Just chalk it up to ugly Romanian machining. Looks like they hack the parts out with a butter knife.

This is the bolt from one of my 1986 "G" kits.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times

Whew, good stuff. I figured it was way too underused to start having some type of lug problems especially since headspacing never seemed to be an issue in the past, and it shot fine. But for some reason it ran counter to my expectations cause I figured they would have the whole surface of that section flush so that the pressure at the time of a shot, would be distributed among a larger surface or something along those lines. Thanks Richard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I just surveyed my bolts. 84 Romy, 73 Romy, 88 Egyptian, 69 Izzy, and 81 Polish all have the cut, but less pronounced than yours. I'm merely a gunsmith on the weekends so I can only speculate, but it may have been done when the factory was headspacing/mating the bolts to trunnions and barrels. FWIW My 72 East German and ?? Hungarian AMD-65 do not have the cut, but the bolts in those rifles look different in lots of ways.
    I do selector mark engraving on AK Flats. I can also engrave maker/manufacturer information. Please ask if interested.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by snu164
    I just surveyed my bolts. 84 Romy, 73 Romy, 88 Egyptian, 69 Izzy, and 81 Polish all have the cut, but less pronounced than yours. I'm merely a gunsmith on the weekends so I can only speculate, but it may have been done when the factory was headspacing/mating the bolts to trunnions and barrels. FWIW My 72 East German and ?? Hungarian AMD-65 do not have the cut, but the bolts in those rifles look different in lots of ways.
    Yep, that's one of the ways to adjust headspace. I have seen Century use that method.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors