How to get a M762 clone?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyb

Thread: How to get a M762 clone?

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

How to get a M762 clone?

I'm not a purist, but I'd like to have a clone of the Polish M762, like the ones they make for the Nigerian mil. I don't need everything to be perfect, but to me the things I do need to have include:

1. Proper stock
    2. Proper top rail
    3. NO side rail
    4. Beryl QD-style handguard retainer
    5. Proper handguard
    6. CHF/CL Polish bbl
    7. Proper selector

Everything else is negotiable. . I'm totally fine with WBP/US parts when necessary. Will I need to have a builder assemble one for me or is there a rifle I can buy that is close and is easily modded to be a close-ish clone?

Member #
    Liked
    4942 times
    A while back AF had M762 clones for sale but they had side rails.

I have all the WBP parts I need for a build, its in the cue.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    needs moar AK

or beer

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    I've got this info from my friend - all the M762 was made not by the FB but by WBP - the FB don't have line to AK/AKM from years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    AOAs got these.

https://armsofamerica.com/headspaced...innyrails.aspx

That at leasts gets you the top rail system. Gonna have to look elsewhere for the stock and stuff.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPRAL-POLAND View Post
    I've got this info from my friend - all the M762 was made not by the FB but by WBP - the FB don't have line to AK/AKM from years.
    P2.jpg

The M762 isn't an AKM pattern. Its more of a Beryl in 7.62x39.

I didn't crack this one open, so I don't know if Radom followed the "modern" trend of using a narrow stem 7.62x39 bolt, or went with the traditional large stem AKM style. Russia and Bulgaria went with the narrow stem for their modernized 7.62x39 rifles. If they went with the large stem, that is really the only parts they would have had to buy from WBP.

All the parts you need to do a clone can be had as either spare parts from the Beryl, or pulled from a common "Tantal" parts kit.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Yes, it is Beryl in 7,62 - that's the idea.

But when you look closer to the FB you will notice that they don't have resources to make something for civilian market - they are making 5,56 Beryls and MSBS/GROT for military.
    When ZM Lucznik bankrupted a lot of their stuff were sold to pay all the debts and even before that they didn't make any guns in 7,62.
    It is possible that WBP made/assembly rifles for them as the contractor because most of FB workes are qualified to make 5,56 Beryl nad MSBS/GROT rifles - also all the tools etc. and for Nigeria it was too small contract for them to change the production for something like that.

Believe me they (FB) don't work like modern company.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1973 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPRAL-POLAND View Post
    Yes, it is Beryl in 7,62 - that's the idea.

But when you look closer to the FB you will notice that they don't have resources to make something for civilian market - they are making 5,56 Beryls and MSBS/GROT for military.
    When ZM Lucznik bankrupted a lot of their stuff were sold to pay all the debts and even before that they didn't make any guns in 7,62.
    It is possible that WBP made/assembly rifles for them as the contractor because most of FB workes are qualified to make 5,56 Beryl nad MSBS/GROT rifles - also all the tools etc. and for Nigeria it was too small contract for them to change the production for something like that.

Believe me they (FB) don't work like modern company.
    Yes, I wouldn't doubt if they lacked production capacity. But my point was that they didn't really need to retool for AKM style parts as the M762 doesn't seem to use any, with maybe the exception of (maybe) the bolt carrier group. Everything else is Beryl pattern.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Well I don't have any civilian "BERYL" and M762 to compare even with military one Beryl but I know that selector/safety lever is different in both (AKM/BERYL/CIVILIAN VERSION) and few other things in trigger group are a little bit different to military version.

That there is only one thing different in 5,56 vs. 7,62 doesent mean that you can make all of them on one machine.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stottman View Post
    All the parts you need to do a clone can be had as either spare parts from the Beryl, or pulled from a common "Tantal" parts kit.
    Sorry of this is a dumb question, but what parts from a tantal kit would be useful in making a m762 clone? I'm looking at kits and I'm not seeing much that would be of use...

Member #
    Liked
    6258 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post
    Sorry of this is a dumb question, but what parts from a tantal kit would be useful in making a m762 clone? I'm looking at kits and I'm not seeing much that would be of use...
    If possible you are better off with a Polish 7.62 kit and then adding a Tantal FSB, gas block and hand guard retainer. Get one of the AoA RSB with the rail slots machined on the sides.

It depends on how far you want to go.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Yeah, I'm not a total purist, I want to get at least in the ball park though. Speaking of AoA, would it work to start with this...

https://armsofamerica.com/headspaced...omebarrel.aspx

And then for the front end just add the tantal HG retainer so I could use M762 furniture, and in the receiver end use...

https://armsofamerica.com/polishakre...package-1.aspx

It's a blank slate, so a lower selector set up shouldn't be a problem for a good builder to pull off, just need the parts. Throw in a collapsing beryl stock and...win?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors