3 times

Is this gas tube original? SA 85M KBI

20200212_211809.pngGoing to try and post some pics:

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I should have come to yall first.

But i bought this on gunbroker.

I already know the handguards are not original. But in detail i noticed the gas tube finish looks different from the rest. Sorry I don't have better pics, I have not received it yet.

20200212_211917.png

20200212_211801.png

20200212_211640.png

Also, the seller could not answer if the gun had a rear lower tang added in converting the buttstock from thumbhole to pistolgrip. Wouldn't that be missing, unless it was added by a gunsmith? Any info or input is appreciated. All numbers were matching on dust cover, receiver, and bolt stem. I just overlooked the gas tube. Grumble. My first Hungarian

Member #
    Liked
    1611 times
    No offense, but that is one ugly gun. Maybe you can trade it/sell it and get something you'd enjoy better.
    scottyb and Thebunghole like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8624 times
    Hungarian rifles do use a vented gas tube like that. Can't say for sure it is orginal.

That lower handguard is trippy. Never saw one quite that long. Looks like they had to modify the hand guard retainer to install it.

Hungarian double stack receiver - looks like a good candidate for a deban. The rivet pattern for the rear trunnion looks correct for a fixed stock. The rear trunnion most likely is a cast forked rear trunnion that resembles some Soviet rear trunnions.

Whatacountry has individual Hungarian barrel components in stock. Furniture can be found.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 02-12-2020 at 09:13 PM.
    scottyb likes this.
    Constantly studying spots welds, mag well dimple shapes, center support rivet heads and selector markings for the last 12 years...

BTW - Keep your BFH away from my AK!

WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    We'll see once it gets in. Thanks for the feedback. Was planning on changing the handguards, and the grip. Most people don't buy the KBI to preserve NIB - I want the quality of a matching original Hungarian with the freedom to modify as a shooter. If the gas tube is not original that is a slight disappointment but doesn't mean this can't be configured to fit the role. I did not notice the handguard retainer.

I should have taken the seller's information, or lack thereof as a signal to pass. He was a top 100 seller, and AKs not his niche

Also serial SM033## places this as a very early KBI post ban import from my research

Member #
    Liked
    963 times
    Yeah, some kind of custom mod for that lower HG. There might be a slot in that barrel at the retainer location, unless the retainer was bubba'd, which would be a better situation. Other than that, it's a typical SA85M with a cheap polymer stock. A stamped receiver rifle like that will not have a lower tang. The buttstock is secured with just 2 screws from the top. As stated earlier, 'deban' parts are available. You could just paint the gas tube to match the rest of the rifle. Check the MP here. Arato was selling complete Hungarian stock sets recently.

Member #
    Liked
    5802 times
    The lower hand guard should end we’re the upper ends.
    Stamped / AKMs never have lower tangs of vented gas tubes.
    This example or whatever it is looks decently done but why?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you all for the info! Once i get this in hand I'll decide how to act. Leaning toward a pair of original handguards, any suggestions for buttstocks I'm open.Will also post some better pictures once I get it

If it looks like the handguard retainer was modified, I will update as well

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The SA85m came in both long and short gas tubes. The short ones came from left over AMD 65 kits. I owned one with the short tube and it came with the vent holes. I was the second owner and I am certain it came that way from the factory.
    It should be simple to change out the lower hand guard with a shorter one, you will have to make a new indent mark for the lower hand guard retaining lever.
    Last edited by zeme050; 04-09-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Gas tube may be Hungarian but probably not original to that firearm unless tube was refinished after leaving the factory,, figure it got swapped onto your rifle with the replacement handguards.

Your KBI import rollmarks appear forced-matched and located in an uncommon spot. With 35 photos, the seller avoided any of the left-rear receiver where the import info’s normally located.

I pray that you won’t have an exposed “Bubba” groove in your barrel after you replace the lower handguard.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by gonogo; 04-09-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1648 times
    That doesn't look right and the top HG is Chinese...

Rifle is later import from KBI with AMD65 gasblock and gas piston.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1648 times
    That low of a serial number is a Kassnar import.

This is really really weird and I even asked Michael Kassnar and he said he never did that kind of import mark and neither did Fég.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    963 times
    Any updates OP? Weird handguard situation needs answers.

AGG

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vint8ge View Post
    We'll see once it gets in. Thanks for the feedback. Was planning on changing the handguards, and the grip. Most people don't buy the KBI to preserve NIB - I want the quality of a matching original Hungarian with the freedom to modify as a shooter. If the gas tube is not original that is a slight disappointment but doesn't mean this can't be configured to fit the role. I did not notice the handguard retainer.

I should have taken the seller's information, or lack thereof as a signal to pass. He was a top 100 seller, and AKs not his niche

Also serial SM033## places this as a very early KBI post ban import from my research
    There are several KBI's within the Kassnar SN range!!!
    The earliest samples have been in the SM 0330X range, and were marked "K.B.I., INC./HBG, PA."- electro-stenciled below the serial number.

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 04-24-2020 at 09:18 AM.

AGG

Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeme050 View Post
    The SA85m came in both long and short gas tubes. The short ones came from left over AMD 65 kits. I owned one with the short tube and it came with the vent holes. I was the second owner and I am certain it came that way from the factory.
    It should be simple to change out the lower hand guard with a shorter one, you will have to make a new indent mark for the lower hand guard retaining lever.
    The cutoff is @ SM 198XX!!!

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors